Canceling student loans

shoshin

I read a good article recently about the rising cost of attending college.  One point they made was that today's students expect a certain kind of college "experience" outside of the classroom.  This persuades universities into purchasing or upgrading a lot of big-ticket items, and most boards of trustees conduct very little oversight on spending.  That spending then drives up tuition.  

The hyper-commodification of higher learning shields itself from scrutiny by hiding behind the pretense that more education is never a bad thing.  

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes, I’m aware, but you’d mentioned you were amazed that colleges weren’t being held responsible. Other than the fact that sell ridiculously worthless degrees in majors that are a total waste of time, talent and resources, I’m not sure they are the culprit here. 

I could’ve almost bought the liberal line of bullshite when they told us banks were preying on the least intelligent among us during the housing bubble….but college students? I thought they were supposed to be most intelligent! No? 

I'd say they are a culprit.  Just because you can raise prices doesn't mean you have to/should.  If loanees want to get money back, start there.

39 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd say they are a culprit.  Just because you can raise prices doesn't mean you have to/should.  If loanees want to get money back, start there.

We’re going to agree to disagree. How does this happen? It happens when the federal government gets involved in the student loan business. To quote you: “start there”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes, I’m aware, but you’d mentioned you were amazed that colleges weren’t being held responsible. Other than the fact that sell ridiculously worthless degrees in majors that are a total waste of time, talent and resources, I’m not sure they are the culprit here. 

I could’ve almost bought the liberal line of bullshite when they told us banks were preying on the least intelligent among us during the housing bubble….but college students? I thought they were supposed to be most intelligent! No? 

Id posit an individual who opts to take on tremendous debt for a useless degree with no return may be less intelligent than one who does not go to college at all. 

This constitutes the bulk of RedTails “educated democrats” he smugly eludes to. 

they took on debt to party, learn nothing useful AND are working the same entry level job they would have four years prior. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is all to get votes. Supreme Court won't allow this to pass as they already said no. Pelosi even said Biden can't do this. Why should taxpayers have to pay the bill for another person's loan. They shouldn't and in the end they won't. String the clueless sheep along to Nov to get their vote. That is all.

• Like (+1) 1

Still illegal. But who has standing to challenge it?

The WSJ nails it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-biden-student-loan-forgiveness-karine-jean-pierre-supreme-court-7e74383f?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

Mr. Biden’s new loan forgiveness is still illegal. The High Court stressed that student loan forgiveness is a major question that requires clear authorization from Congress. But Mr. Biden seems to believe he can jam the courts by automatically forgiving debt before a judge has time to stop him.

The White House says most borrowers won’t even have to apply for loan relief. Sometime before the November election, Mr. Biden will simply declare their debt forgiven. That means a future Congress and a President Trump might be unable to undo the lawless act. Where are the press scolds who warn about a President who threatens democracy?

Mr. Biden is setting an awful precedent that Donald Trump will no doubt exploit. If courts say he can’t re-purpose defense money to build a wall on the southern border, he could simply use another means to do so. The right will cheer him on as the left is Mr. Biden. The rule of law and taxpayers are the losers.

By the way, this would cancel student loan debt for borrowers who have been in repayment for 20+ years. It took me more than that to pay off my student loans, but I knew that when I consolidated them into a 30-year repayment plan. That was the point! To make my debt manageable. Which it was, until I decided that it made financial sense to pay off what remained (only about 6K by then) in a lump sum after about 24 years. I was one of the suckers who took my obligations seriously ....

24 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is all to get votes. Supreme Court won't allow this to pass as they already said no. Pelosi even said Biden can't do this. Why should taxpayers have to pay the bill for another person's loan. They shouldn't and in the end they won't. String the clueless sheep along to Nov to get their vote. That is all.

You didn't mind forgiving PPP loans for people who didn't need it...

• Like (+1) 1

No business owner should ever support Democrats. 

They’ll shut down your business.  Force you to close your doors (while allowing big corporations to stay open) and then offer you a lifeline for the destruction they caused, only to vilify you for taking it when they want to make a completely unrelated political point. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No business owner should ever support Democrats. 

Laughable. Donald Trump says he supports workers and jobs, but many companies and small businesses have closed because he didn't pay his bills.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Laughable. Donald Trump says he supports workers and jobs, but many companies and small businesses have closed because he didn't pay his bills.

Donald Trump also likely paid for women to get abortions, but I’m not voting for someone based on what they’ve done in their life.

He’s better for businesses than Biden’s economy along with Democrat’s unabashed vindictiveness towards us business owners.

And he’s better on abortion with his states rights view than super-Catholic Biden that is utterly obsessed with expanding abortion access to levels only seen in countries like North Korea and China.

Your post is simply deflection. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’s better for businesses than Biden’s economy along with Democrat’s unabashed vindictiveness towards us business owners.

Hoax. What did his massive tax cuts do the deficit? Why did Trump's amazing economy need a bailout at the "start" of the pandemic? 

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

And he’s better on abortion with his states rights view than super-Catholic Biden that is utterly obsessed with expanding abortion access to levels only seen in countries like North Korea and China.

Hoax. In November, women will remind you that Trump is not to be trusted, as if his entire lifetime doesn't already support that.

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Hoax. What did his massive tax cuts do the deficit? Why did Trump's amazing economy need a bailout at the "start" of the pandemic? 

Hoax. In November, women will remind you that Trump is not to be trusted, as if his entire lifetime doesn't already support that.

Trump’s economy was strong until the pandemic.  Nobody disputes that except people like you. 

Im pro-life, so I’m not sure why I care what pro-abortionists think in November.  They are the Democrat base. 

He’s not going to win them.  He’s targeting moderates. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I think the open border issue with all of these illegals coming here will end up costing Joe in Nov. Americans are really fed up with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Does this mean people that the people who have payed off their student loans get reimbursed? If not, it should, right?

No, you see, they had the privilege of working two jobs and sacrificing things like vacations, a new car etc., in order to pay off their student loans.

Dont be silly. 

• Like (+1) 3