Canceling student loans

shoshin

4 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I paid 100% of my student loan debt and interest during the time I owned it. How did this ever become a controversial thing?

I paid mine, too.

If we can forgive PPP loans (and lose track of $100 BILLION); we can forgive those who need it. 

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I paid mine, too.

If we can forgive PPP loans (and lose track of $100 BILLION); we can forgive those who need it. 

You can't compare world pandemic economic recovery programs that were designed to be forgiven to every day loans we've had for decades.

Student loans? How 'bout mortgages? How 'bout car loans? How about blue collar small business loans for the guy that changes your oil?

The right bipartisan vote on this one!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I paid 100% of my student loan debt and interest during the time I owned it. How did this ever become a controversial thing?

Same. Let's be clear. This isn't student loan forgiveness. This is just transferring the loan to the taxpayer. Why should people who have nothing to do with the loan have to pay for it. Just a vote buying scheme by Biden. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

You can't compare world pandemic economic recovery programs that were designed to be forgiven to every day loans we've had for decades.

Student loans? How 'bout mortgages? How 'bout car loans? How about blue collar small business loans for the guy that changes your oil?

The right bipartisan vote on this one!

Why? 

im not thrilled with the policy, but you can’t deny that massive student debt is hampering young Americans’ ability to have kids and start their lives 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Why? 

im not thrilled with the policy, but you can’t deny that massive student debt is hampering young Americans’ ability to have kids and start their lives 

Then why not any other debt of a taxpayer? Why chose just one type of debt or one demographic? Why?

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Why? 

How 'bout they start their lives by living up to obligations they committed to?

This situation is analogous to the border situation.

If we continue to allow failed governments to send their people here, we fail to solve the problem, which is those failed governments that need to be fixed internally.

If we forgive promissory, legally binding obligations, we fail to solve the problem of ridiculously inflated college tuition costs.

It is not the US taxpayers burden to solve other problems.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

How 'bout they start their lives by living up to obligations they committed to?

This situation is analogous to the border situation.

If we continue to allow failed governments to send their people here, we fail to solve the problem, which is those failed governments that need to be fixed internally.

If we forgive promissory, legally binding obligations, we fail to solve the problem of ridiculously inflated college tuition costs.

It is not the US taxpayers burden to solve other problems.

I guess, but it’s becoming an economic problem either way. 

Many degrees nowadays require very expensive equipment, which drives up college costs. It’s not like the old days where your equipment was a slide rule and a lab coat; computer science labs need to have the most cutting edge equipment. 

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Then why not any other debt of a taxpayer? Why chose just one type of debt or one demographic? Why?

Because it is negatively affecting the generation that’s supposed to inherit the country from the boomers and Gen Xers

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Because it is negatively affecting the generation that’s supposed to inherit the country from the boomers and Gen Xers

At the expense of blue collar boomers and Gen Xers? You realize that there are more boomers and gen xers without degrees than there are with, right?

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

"IF you have student loan debt".... 

basically every tax contributing American from 25-45

13% of americans have student loan debt, compared to 100% of basically every tax contributing american that has some kind of debt

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I guess, but it’s becoming an economic problem either way. 

Many degrees nowadays require very expensive equipment, which drives up college costs. It’s not like the old days where your equipment was a slide rule and a lab coat; computer science labs need to have the most cutting edge equipment. 

Accountability is a negative for 13% of americans? LOL

keyword "tax contributing"..

if you are 25-45 without a college degree, you likely are too poor to be taxed

I don't ever expect you to agree with holding a person accountable for their personal debt. We obviously grew up in different cultures.

Great decision by the House on a bipartisan vote.

Send 'em a personal donation!

9 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

At the expense of blue collar boomers and Gen Xers? You realize that there are more boomers and gen xers without degrees than there are with, right?

Yeah, and the economy has shifted completely since those heydays. A degree is necessary for a majority of professions.

Just now, Roundybout said:

Yeah, and the economy has shifted completely since those heydays. A degree is necessary for a majority of professions.

Not in my world. But even so, repay your debt.

Did you reply to my comment on accident or something? how is that a rebuttal to anything I said. Its cool if you made a mistake and meant that for someone else

ignore it then