Playbooks staying and leaving with Daboll

This is something I should know but I don't. And thought the concept of playbooks deserves its own thread. 

I assume that Dorsey has been compiling his own playbook for a few years, as he would be preparing to one day be an offensive coordinator. Most all of these guys do. And would be inclined to install it if Daboll leaves and he takes over.  

But would it be unusual for a team to just keep the Daboll offense and playbook intact as a Josh has now had three years with it and begun to master it, and then have Dorsey just take it over if and when he is named OC? While Daboll takes the same offense and playbook to his next job?

And then Dorsey could add his own unique plays and tweaks to it as they go. That is surely what I would lobby for. If Daboll leaves, which I think is only 50-50 chance ( he will be a hot name and interview but not sure he gets a job first time out), hire Dorsey and don't change the offense at all. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This is something I should know but I don't. And thought the concept of playbooks deserves its own thread. 

I assume that Dorsey has been compiling his own playbook for a few years, as he would be preparing to one day be an offensive coordinator. Most all of these guys do. And would be inclined to install it if Daboll leaves and he takes over.  

But would it be unusual for a team to just keep the Daboll offense and playbook intact as a Josh has now had three years with it and begun to master it, and then have Dorsey just take it over if and when he is named OC? While Daboll takes the same offense and playbook to his next job?

And then Dorsey could add his own unique plays and tweaks to it as they go. That is surely what I would lobby for. If Daboll leaves, which I think is only 50-50 chance ( he will be a hot name and interview but not sure he gets a job first time out), hire Dorsey and don't change the offense at all. 

What do you think the Pats did over 20 years of Brady and changes at OC?

No I dont think it's unusual, especially if they promote from within.

• Like (+1) 1

Dorsey will have the playbook they are using this year. As will McDermott and all the players. Daboll goes and Dorsey is promoted I am sure he will add some stuff and take some stuff out but that happens year to year anyway. 

They are not going to rip up everything they have run this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dorsey will have the playbook they are using this year. As will McDermott and all the players. Daboll goes and Dorsey is promoted I am sure he will add some stuff and take some stuff out but that happens year to year anyway. 

They are not going to rip up everything they have run this year. 

Probably 70% of the plays in the playbook are plays that every team in the league has.  Some of the concepts might be unique in the way they are designed but the concepts themselves are not.  Daboll has a great feel for when to call certain plays, what to attack on a defense and how to call them against certain looks, which I think is much more important than the actual plays since many of them are very similar.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think Belichick pretty much designed that offense from the start even though he is thought of as a defensive coach, and other offensive coaches just followed his direction and offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty sure Peyton Manning brought “his” offense to Denver.

It’s surprising to me that Brady didn’t get to bring “his” offense to Tampa.

I feel that Josh is close to being a master of “his” offense no matter who the OC is.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The last time Buffalo started promoting from within the Steve Fatherlychilds O it turned into some slippery , slimmy beast that slayed the holy Trent and even Van Pelt couldn't get a grasp on the abomination. 

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Probably 70% of the plays in the playbook are plays that every team in the league has.  Some of the concepts might be unique in the way they are designed but the concepts themselves are not.  Daboll has a great feel for when to call certain plays, what to attack on a defense and how to call them against certain looks, which I think is much more important than the actual plays since many of them are very similar.

True but the 30% is what makes sense the difference. Daboll designs some very unique plays that one could say follow that same percentage. 70% we have already seen for years but those 20-30% unique elements make the play. Daboll has proven to have a good offense, and design good game plans, and an ability to play call, which are three different talents. Let's hope that Dorsey can also do the latter two. 

I am not sold of the fact that Daboll would leave . All his family and relatives live here, he is from Blo. Plus other factors like a raise in pay and seeing this through to the end with Josh. 

Anyway this is just a thought on the plus side. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Special K said:

Pretty sure Peyton Manning brought “his” offense to Denver.

It’s surprising to me that Brady didn’t get to bring “his” offense to Tampa.

I feel that Josh is close to being a master of “his” offense no matter who the OC is.

This. 

They've already built an Offense around him and Josh took out all the plays he doesn't like in the playbook. 

We know what kind of players to surround him with.  

Combined with his command of the offense and ability to check at the LOS, we're getting close - if not already there - to where this is Josh Allen's Offense.  

Daboll is fantastic play-caller, and deserves a ton of credit for getting Allen to this point.  He should be option 1a on every team's coaching wish list, imo. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

The more attention John Allen gets, the more Daboll will be a hot coaching candidate.

That said, Greg Roman wasn't able to cash in on helping Lamar Jackson win an MVP by re-working the offense, so you never know.

LOTS of open jobs this year, though, so that worries me. 

You know some team will do something nuts like hire Dave Wannstedt or Mike Mularkey or Dick Jauron as its head coach. 

5 minutes ago, eee1776 said:

I am not sold of the fact that Daboll would leave . All his family and relatives live here, he is from Blo. Plus other factors like a raise in pay and seeing this through to the end with Josh. 

Anyway this is just a thought on the plus side. 

He already interviewed for a HC job last off-season. Clearly he has interest in becoming a HC. It’d be naive to think he loves Buffalo so much that he’d turn down the opportunity.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would it matter if Daboll "left with the playbook"?  They are well known by the Offense by now.  

Innovative coaches have evolving playbooks that they adjust to the players avaiable given the skill sets they offer IMO.

Losing Daboll would be such a huge loss for the Buffalo Bills...

On a side note Ryan Fitzpatrick has future OC material written all over him IMO. It will be interesting to see how well Fitzy coaches up Tua. ( scary ) The bearded one loves Buffalo.

I'm just saying...

Edited by Figster

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He already interviewed for a HC job last off-season. Clearly he has interest in becoming a HC. It’s be naive to think he loves Buffalo so much that he’s turn down the opportunity.

That was a Rooney Rule interview. Nothing more.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The more attention John Allen gets, the more Daboll will be a hot coaching candidate.

That said, Greg Roman wasn't able to cash in on helping Lamar Jackson win an MVP by re-working the offense, so you never know.

LOTS of open jobs this year, though, so that worries me. 

You know some team will do something nuts like hire Dave Wannstedt or Mike Mularkey or Dick Jauron as its head coach. 

Roman has been the opposite in his offensive trends throughout his career...at every stop his offense regressed over time not progressed...in effect his best year was his first year in most places with the same players.

His systems got figured out, weaknesses exposed and he has struggled to adjust. Happened in SF, happened here and is happening in Baltimore.

That wouldn't give me confidence if I was an owner. 

Daboll’s already seen success at the highest levels in both the NFL and NCAA. I know that head coaching is the ultimate goal for a lot of these guys, but part of me feels like he wants to stick with his current gig in Buffalo, maybe just for a few years while the window is open, to bring a championship to his hometown team. 

Just now, matter2003 said:

Roman has been the opposite in his offensive trends throughout his career...at every stop his offense regressed over time not progressed...in effect his best year was his first year in most places with the same players.

His systems got figured out, weaknesses exposed and he has struggled to adjust. Happened in SF, happened here and is happening in Baltimore.

That wouldn't give me confidence if I was an owner. 

That is definitely true about Roman. 

• Like (+1) 1