Chicago Teachers Union: 'The Push To Reopen Schools

23 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

Is Rooted in Sexism, Racism, and Misogyny'

https://reason.com/2020/12/06/chicago-teachers-union-reopen-schools-sexism-racism-misogyny/

democRATs are invaders raping and pillaging America.

We don't love Trump nearly as much as we despise them.

Good thing more than 5,000,000 people despised the right and Trump more than you despise Democrats!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2020 at 9:04 PM, Unforgiven said:

Is Rooted in Sexism, Racism, and Misogyny'

https://reason.com/2020/12/06/chicago-teachers-union-reopen-schools-sexism-racism-misogyny/

democRATs are invaders raping and pillaging America.

We don't love Trump nearly as much as we despise them.

But I thought Fauci and the CDC said schools should be open, unless I heard it wrong...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, Tiberius said:

Is your trailer drafty? Must be cold this time of year 

Your response to trying to help students get back into school where they learn best is to mock the messenger? Wow you are smaller than I thought. Students need to be back in school, especially those without role models at home. In Orange county the schools with millionaires and billionaires have the highest percent of students face to face and it is a direct correlation in regards to wealth. The gap from my children to the average at home kid this year will be huge and the only real first step is get them back into school. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Your response to trying to help students get back into school where they learn best is to mock the messenger? Wow you are smaller than I thought. Students need to be back in school, especially those without role models at home. In Orange county the schools with millionaires and billionaires have the highest percent of students face to face and it is a direct correlation in regards to wealth. The gap from my children to the average at home kid this year will be huge and the only real first step is get them back into school. 

This is a really stupid response. He was calling Democrats rats, and I'm suppose to take anything he says serious? Go fly a kite

28 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is a really stupid response. He was calling Democrats rats, and I'm suppose to take anything he says serious? Go fly a kite

You are upset he capitalized a letter? 🤣

You in the past 2 months have called Republicans so many slurs I am not sure if this is a serious response. How about let me know your thoughts on what I have said?

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are upset he capitalized a letter? 🤣

You in the past 2 months have called Republicans so many slurs I am not sure if this is a serious response. How about let me know your thoughts on what I have said?

Weak dodge. I responded in kind and you had a little hissy fit. 😅

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Once again how about discuss the meat of the article? 

Ok. My plan was to open the schools in summer, hold as many classes as possible outside, and slow things down more in cold weather. But, that would never get done for many reasons

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ok. My plan was to open the schools in summer, hold as many classes as possible outside, and slow things down more in cold weather. But, that would never get done for many reasons

Why not just open the schools for those who want to go and allow an online option? What evidence now indicates schools are a place where the illness is spread.

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Why not just open the schools for those who want to go and allow an online option? What evidence now indicates schools are a place where the illness is spread.

I like that idea for the older kids more, for the younger ones I like my idea more.

The evidence is that the kids can spread the virus like anyone

On 12/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Why not just open the schools for those who want to go and allow an online option? 

Who is going to teach these online classes? Who is going to create the course material? Who is going to grade the work and provide feedback?

Certainly not the teachers who are already teaching in-person classes and are already overwhelmed with more responsibilities than they have time.

Are you going to simply find hundreds of thousands of qualified educators who are willing to work long hours for low pay and then compensate them with money that doesn't exist?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Simon said:

Who is going to teach these online classes? Who is going to create the course material? Who is going to grade the work and provide feedback?

Certainly not the teachers who are already teaching in-person classes and are already overwhelmed with more responsibilities than they have time.

Are you going to simply find hundreds of thousands of qualified educators who are willing to work long hours for low pay and then compensate them with money that doesn't exist?

Why are they getting paid at all right now based on a social contract that is completely trashed. 

Would the tax payers vote to fund this situation?    

41 minutes ago, Simon said:

You break the classes up as fully online or fully in person as much as possible. Most assignments for higher level kids are not much different online or in person and the biggest issue is cheating on tests. Simon I am curious what state you live in- I will not trash your state but I am curious

Edited by Buffalo Timmy
Further clarification

On 12/28/2020 at 8:02 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

You break the classes up as fully online or fully in person as much as possible. Most assignments for higher level kids are not much different online or in person and the biggest issue is cheating on tests. Simon I am curious what state you live in- I will not trash your state but I am curious

I'm in Pennsylvania.

I'm also married to a long time science teacher and see how hard she works every day to make this happen for her kids.

No offense, but your assumptions re: education simply do not bear any resemblance to reality.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm in Pennsylvania.

I'm also married to a long time science teacher and see how hard she works every day to make this happen for her kids.

No offense, but your assumptions re: education simply do not bear any resemblance to reality.

My wife is a 20 year teacher and I have been a math teacher for 8 years at an alternate high school with only low achieving kids. I don't make assumptions, I live it but thanks for your assumptions. I appreciate what your wife does but your state has an online option- which is why I asked- that is structured differently but is generally better that trying to force the round peg through the square hole. https://www.pavcsk12.org/academics/high-school

I obviously do not know what your wife is going through but a district that supports a teacher can make it much easier.

• Like (+1) 1

You break the classes up as fully online or fully in person as much as possible.

This is a logistic impossibility and bears no resemblance to reality

Most assignments for higher level kids are not much different online or in person

This is irrelevant and the idea that "assignments" are the issue with a teacher trying to teach both live and online bears no resemblance to reality

the biggest issue is cheating on tests

On the list of issues this ranks somewhere around 637th; suggesting it is the "biggest" issue bears no resemblance to reality.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Simon said:

This is a logistic impossibility and bears no resemblance to reality

This is irrelevant and the idea that "assignments" are the issue with a teacher trying to teach both live and online bears no resemblance to reality

On the list of issues this ranks somewhere around 637th; suggesting it is the "biggest" issue bears no resemblance to reality.

What are you doing? Are you just pissed at me and spouting off at the mouth? My wife's school- which is 600+ kids per grade- splits classes mainly into online classes and then in person classes as does my daughter's elementary school. I currently teach every period the split of online and in person- I have had to adjust but I make all assignments work both for kids in class and online. Lastly I will state cheating is my biggest issue- I have several students online who clearly cheat because they can not answer me simple questions after the test. As I have stated I am not sure what your wife is against but my suggestions are possible and being implemented here in Orange County.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not remotely pissed off or spouting off. I'm just trying to explain to you that these suggestions are not rooted in the reality of our school district.

Perhaps the difference in perspective comes down to the fact that you teach at a private school in Orange County, CA and I'm talking about public school in rural Western Pennsyltucky.

We don't have the infrastructure, the technology, the money or the freedom that you have. 

Trying to incorporate that kind of a model here (or in many parts of the US that are not Orange County, CA) is simply a non-starter.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:53 PM, JaCrispy said:

But I thought Fauci and the CDC said schools should be open, unless I heard it wrong...

They should be open.  I don't care if you're on the left or right.  Follow the science.  The flu is more deadly to kids than Covid.  They're less likely to transmit it than adults.  Making them stay at home or some hybrid model is not good policy because it will stunt some kids academic and social development.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2020 at 10:48 PM, Simon said:

I'm not remotely pissed off or spouting off. I'm just trying to explain to you that these suggestions are not rooted in the reality of our school district.

Perhaps the difference in perspective comes down to the fact that you teach at a private school in Orange County, CA and I'm talking about public school in rural Western Pennsyltucky.

We don't have the infrastructure, the technology, the money or the freedom that you have. 

Trying to incorporate that kind of a model here (or in many parts of the US that are not Orange County, CA) is simply a non-starter.

Everything I have described is for public schools in Orlando Florida. I  do not understand how you don't have the infrastructure or technology. We spend less money per student but every student has a school issue computer, OCPS provides internet if needed, and every teacher has support to get things set up and running if needed. 98% of the people can get reliable cell service therefore you can get reliable internet. It is not free but when you are spending 20k per student it should be within the budget.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:39 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

What are you doing? Are you just pissed at me and spouting off at the mouth? My wife's school- which is 600+ kids per grade- splits classes mainly into online classes and then in person classes as does my daughter's elementary school. I currently teach every period the split of online and in person- I have had to adjust but I make all assignments work both for kids in class and online. Lastly I will state cheating is my biggest issue- I have several students online who clearly cheat because they can not answer me simple questions after the test. As I have stated I am not sure what your wife is against but my suggestions are possible and being implemented here in Orange County.

Are parents doing work for their kids? I could see that happening, lol 

17 minutes ago, snafu said:

Oh my God. Why were they EVER in school in the first place?

I appreciate the sarcasm but don't give politicians any ideas.  For those out there considering this, the chances of kids dying from the flue is astronomically low (around .01%).  The chances of them dying from Covid is even lower (around .009% from the info we have so far).  Kids should be back at school but make sure they stay the hell away from grandma.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Chicago Teachers Union members refuse to return to class Monday, won’t return ‘until buildings are safe’

May I assume that none of them are going out to a store then ?

Or refusing a paycheck? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2020 at 3:58 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Don’t worry there will be an elegant social engineering fix for that.  It will be incredibly degrading and further destructive, but it will be well cloaked as a righteous entitlement owed to the bourgeoisie by government, granted by the political elite.

You’re welcome peasants... 

It will be spawned from the same misguided and laughably false “intellectual superiority” frame of mind evident throughout many threads by the contentious condescenders. 

poor kids. They deserve a better future. 

I implore all parents if you have the option get your child into a classroom setting. Few students are built for constructive learning at home.The gap is Orange County Florida appears to be growing between the have and have nots. We just started a new quarter this week and from the teachers I speak with the richer area schools had a good portion return to face to face while the poorer schools had most of the kids stay home. The gap between the kids will be huge this year and there is nothing I can do about it if I can't get the kid into class 

• Like (+1) 1