ESPN puts another long time Host on waivers

LB48

Tim Baysinger
Wed, November 25, 2020, 3:44 PM EST

One of ESPN’s longtime faces is leaving the network. Trey Wingo, who hosted “SportsCenter” and the network’s NFL Draft coverage over a two-decade tenure, is exiting the network after his contract was not renewed.

The decision not to re-up Wingo’s contract came as part of ESPN’s massive job cuts, the New York Post reported earlier this month (the NY Post also reported back in September that Wingo was being let go). The host’s departure was not confirmed until today, which is also his last day at the network.

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Serves ESPN right...hope they continue to crash and burn...

I have no love for ESPN, but I hope Wingo lands on his feet. I don’t want anything bad for what seems like a nice guy. 

• Like (+1) 14

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I have no love for ESPN, but I hope Wingo lands on his feet. I don’t want anything bad for what seems like a nice guy. 

If he doesn't have enough money to retire after 20 years with them that's on him. He should just retire and freelance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If it wasn’t for Monday night football I would never have ESPN on. ABC should get the rights back so it is on broadcast television. 

Guess who owns ESPN?

Why do you think they force it onto ESPN? (hint: your first sentence)

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

If he doesn't have enough money to retire after 20 years with them that's on him. He should just retire and freelance.

It’s about much more than money. To be treated poorly at work has an effect. I AM retired, but I still resent a situation I was in years ago. Even my wife still holds a grudge bigger than I do over that situation. She brought it up just today!

ESPN canned Mike & Mike, which was the only show I cared about other than games they covered. Terrible management. Wingo was better than most of what they had. It’s a sign of the times for that sinking ship. 

I wish the man well. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, T&C said:

He is the son of Hal Wingo, founding Editor of People magazine, so I’m fairly certain he had enough money to retire as soon as he graduated high school. So, I presume he determines if his contributions to sports and society has satiated his career achievements as to whether he wants to continue working. 

Obviously I have no idea what his intentions are, but it feels as though he is driven by something far different than a financial goal.

Edited by BigBuff423

17 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If it wasn’t for Monday night football I would never have ESPN on. ABC should get the rights back so it is on broadcast television. 

The guys they have on Monday night now are lame. They sound like a couple of college bros.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Wingo was a big time Bills basher!! All Bills bashers will bow to the will of the Bills mafia

Despite different people’s views, I want the man and his family to make it thru a difficult period. It’s not about football to me as much as the people. I’ve been thru mass layoffs around the holidays. I realize he can put food on the table, but it is as much emotional as it is financial. Been there, done that. 

I don’t care who it is, I’ll never be happy about a person losing their job and livelihood (barring egregious circumstances). Best wishes, Trey. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 5

on the radio they have lost Tony Korheiser, Dan Patrick, soon Dan Lebatard  and I forget the others

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Despite different people’s views, I want the man and his family to make it thru a difficult period. It’s not about football to me as much as the people. I’ve been thru mass layoffs around the holidays. I realize he can put food on the table, but it is as much emotional as it is financial. Been there, done that. 

Best wishes, Trey. 

Agree, because he wasn't a Bills fan is stupid for anyone to be happy. I also worked for a place that shut  down and I hope he makes out all right

• Like (+1) 3