Is the Bills window smaller than thought?

Big Turk

8 hours ago, Jobot said:

This salary argument is flawed for two reasons..

1- Brady

2- The salary cap continues to increase year over year... so it's foolish to look at it like this.

If you're truly worried, you do what KC did with the Mahommes contract.

Exactly, is everyone forgetting Brady basically gave NE a hometown discount for 15 years.

• Like (+1) 1

You are correct.. the window is small. It will slam down this year like the sash cords were cut (a tribute to those in ancient Bflo houses).

We need to ride Josh like a cheap horse on his rookie contract. It's a war against time before he gets very expensive.

Look at it this way.

Sometime around year 6 of the Mahomes deal, the Cap number will be 50 million more than it is now, and Mahomes will be the 5th highest paid QB in the league behind Burrow, Lawrence, Fields, and....Herbert?  Or someone.  Who knows.    

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I definitely agree when you pay a tier 2 or tier 3 QB as if he is tier 1, you immediately diminish your chances of building a powerhouse.  So many examples of teams overpaying guys early because they had to.  Doesn't mean those teams cant get there or win a SB that fall into those situations, just means its going to be harder on those teams if they are not supported by a strong front office and coaching staff who can find talent in the draft and get the most of it on the field.  

Its also not always avoidable or even wrong to do that either, especially if that tier 2 or tier 3 QB is young and trending toward that tier 1 level.  Some teams have no choice but to roll the dice.  Take Goff for example, I personally felt it was too early to give him that size of a deal, there were a lot of question marks still about his toughness and ability under pressure (and quite frankly still are today).  But they were kind of in a spot where they had to roll the dice based on his trend line and production.  No team is going to let Goff walk that early in his career, so I get it.  Just one of those spots you hope the progress continues.  Sometimes this works out, other times this turns into Kap in SF, Tannehill in Miami, Carr in Oakland, etc where it doesn't and they underperform to that deal moving forward.  That can really set a franchise back a while.

The other thing happens is when true Franchise QBs don't need a fully loaded supporting cast to be able to carry the team forward with their play.   I am hoping that in a year or two when Josh has the mental game locked up, he will not need a WR cast that includes  Diggs,  Brown and Beasley all the time.   He would need to make the same plays with just one super star player. 

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Look at it this way.

Sometime around year 6 of the Mahomes deal, the Cap number will be 50 million more than it is now, and Mahomes will be the 5th highest paid QB in the league behind Burrow, Lawrence, Fields, and....Herbert?  Or someone.  Who knows.    

And Josh too ?

So if you were to put all the best teams on a list, how many of them have QB's with big contracts ($20 million plus)?

Chiefs? Yes.

Ravens? No.

Steelers? Yes.

Bills? No.

Seahawks? Yes.

Saints? Yes.

Packers? Yes.

Rams? Yes.

Titans? Yes.

Bucs? Yes.

Seems like the Bills and Ravens are the only decent teams without a big QB contract. All the others make at least 20 million a year, most more than that. It doesn't stop them from having good teams.

16 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Just getting drafted brings life changing money, Josh will have made enough money on his rookie contract to never have to work again and live really well, hell, even Levi Wallace is pulling down $700,000.00 annually. That’s life changing money period. That’s a top 3% earner in America and top 1% world wide. Even Practice squad guys make a lot of money compared to the rest of the country. Its odd that people would think making six figures and more annually isn’t life changing money, color me confused. (I guess if your the type to piss it all away then your just cognitively challenged)

I suspect Josh will sign a somewhat team friendly deal, jmo, been wrong before... 😁

Go Bills!!!

700,000 a year for 4 years (average NFL career) isnt life changing money. 

These guys want to set up their families for generations, not just live in a nice medium sized house in a quaint neighborhood. 

There wont be any team friendly deals (maybe SLIGHTLY, but Josh will be getting paid money that really hampers the team building ability). QBs get PAID. Period. 

18 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

700,000 a year for 4 years (average NFL career) isnt life changing money. 

These guys want to set up their families for generations, not just live in a nice medium sized house in a quaint neighborhood. 

There wont be any team friendly deals (maybe SLIGHTLY, but Josh will be getting paid money that really hampers the team building ability). QBs get PAID. Period. 

2.8 million dollars sure as hell is life changing money, if yo don’t believe me ask Levi, you must be very rich and out of touch with reality to think otherwise. Again if your the type to piss away that much money, you have no chance to get ahead financially anyways,  Nuthin but luv

Edited by Don Otreply

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

2.8 million dollars sure as hell is life changing money, if yo don’t believe me ask Levi, you must be very rich and out of touch with reality to think otherwise. Nuthin but luv

$2.8m now and let's say Levi would in a normal non football career retire at 66. Once you account for inflation over the next 40 years that is most decidedly NOT life changing money. It is enough to live, no question, it is not enough to be confident of not having to work again or to pay for his kids to go through college etc. Giving someone $2.8m at age 26 and telling them to make it last the rest of their life is not life changing money.

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

2.8 million dollars sure as hell is life changing money, if yo don’t believe me ask Levi, you must be very rich and out of touch with reality to think otherwise. Nuthin but luv

Sure if someone wins 2.8 million in a lottery, its life changing money, but 2.8 million spread over a lifetime of earning is NOT a lot of money, regardless of how rich and out of touch with reality I am. 

Thats the point. We tend to think, "boy, Id play in the NFL for league minimum and be FINE!" Sure. If you got to play for 20 years. These guys dont. They need to make as much money as possible 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Sure if someone wins 2.8 million in a lottery, its life changing money, but 2.8 million spread over a lifetime of earning is NOT a lot of money, regardless of how rich and out of touch with reality I am. 

Thats the point. We tend to think, "boy, Id play in the NFL for league minimum and be FINE!" Sure. If you got to play for 20 years. These guys dont. They need to make as much money as possible 

Indeed I just did the sum for myself.... I worked out roughly my career earning for the first 15 years of my working life.... mostly below the average wage for London and just above the average for the entire UK. Then projecting on my current salary which is above the London average and well above the UK average for the next 30 years..... I come in not far off that $2.8m once converted to dollars.

Don't get me wrong I'm comfortable, I have a nice life, I don't struggle to pay the bills at the end of the month, I go on holiday two or three times a year but I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, I don't have kids to fund or a car to stick fuel in. It is enough to live a nice, comfortable existence. But it isn't life changing.

Edited by GunnerBill

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

$2.8m now and let's say Levi would in a normal non football career retire at 66. Once you account for inflation over the next 40 years that is most decidedly NOT life changing money. It is enough to live, no question, it is not enough to be confident of not having to work again or to pay for his kids to go through college etc. Giving someone $2.8m at age 26 and telling them to make it last the rest of their life is not life changing money.

You sir are confused, a conservative investment of a couple hundred thousand over say Forty to fifty years, will indeed create far more wealth, and why do you think just because he played football he would never have another job while growing his portfolio and then retire early? Lots of confused folk here.  Oh and by the way I was referring to Josh not having to ever work again not Levi, but there is no way to argue against Levi not receiving a life changing sum of money, it would be frankly a sign of ones propensity to be frivolous with ones money, and if so, to bad for that individual.

putting it simply, if your making 60k a year, and you get a nest egg opportunity of 2.8 million dollars, that’s life changing money, to say otherwise is just being purposefully obtuse. 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed I just did the sum for myself.... I worked out roughly my career earning for the first 15 years of my working life.... mostly below the average wage for London and just above the average for the entire UK. Then projecting on my current salary which is above the London average and well above the UK average for the next 30 years..... I come in not far off that $2.8m once converted to dollars.

Don't get me wrong I'm comfortable, I have a nice life, I don't struggle to pay the bills at the end of the month, I go on holiday two or three times a year but I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, I don't have kids to fund or a car to stick fuel in. It is enough to live a nice, comfortable existence. But it isn't life changing.

Hey Gunner

What part of London do you live in? We love London. Wish we could travel again!

22 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

No one with actually sense thinks that way, that’s fairytale thinking, that’s why so many Americans have squat to retire on, they chronically give their wages to rich people instead of living a quality life well within their means, and saving/investing their money,  ( spending their way to the poor house)again if a player or anyone else pisses away such a wind fall that’s a sign of stupidity, plain and simple. 

Edited by Don Otreply

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No one with actually sense thinks that way, that’s fairytale thinking, that’s why so many Americans have squat to retire on, they chronically give their wages to rich people instead of living a quality life well within their means, and saving/investing their money,  ( spending their way to the poor house)again if a player or anyone else pisses away such a wind fall that’s a sign of stupidity, plain and simple. 

yea but they DO piss away "such a windfall" quite commonly. 

If you think these guys dont want to make as much money as possible, as quick as possible, your not too bright 

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

You sir are confused, a conservative investment of a couple hundred thousand over say Forty to fifty years, will indeed create far more wealth, and why do you think just because he played football he would never have another job while growing his portfolio and then retire early? Lots of confused folk here.  Oh and by the way I was referring to Josh not having to ever work again not Levi, but there is no way to argue against Levi not receiving a life changing sum of money, it would be frankly a sign of ones propensity to be frivolous with ones money, and if so, to bad for that individual.

putting it simply, if your making 60k a year, and you get a nest egg opportunity of 2.8 million dollars, that’s life changing money, to say otherwise is just being purposefully obtuse. 

He isn't making 60k a year afterwards though. $2.8m paid to you between 22 and 26 with no guaranteed income after that is nice.... but it isn't life changing. I agree if you are making $60k a year anyway and get $2.8m additional over 4 years then it is a different situation. That is now what we were commenting on.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey Gunner

What part of London do you live in? We love London. Wish we could travel again!

I live in Walthamstow, north-east London. Work in Westminster in normal times but have been in my office about half a dozen times since March.

11 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

yea but they DO piss away "such a windfall" quite commonly. 

If you think these guys dont want to make as much money as possible, as quick as possible, your not too bright 

According to you neither are they,  and as to your juvenile statement, you lack reading comprehension in a big way, but that’s okay, it’s expected.

Go Bills!!!

It is what I was saying from the get go, you are still wrong, but your a good human so I’ll let it slide, 😁

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I’m really expecting the AFC EAST to become like most divisions in football.  Maybe even the old NFC SOUTH.

At one point...

Panthers - Newton

Falcons - Ryan

Saints - Brees

Bucs - Freeman/Winston

Produced constant turnover at the top of division for years.  Pretty sure there wasn’t a A back to back division winner for many seasons.

See it similar with

Bills - Allen

Dolphins - Tua

Jets - Lawrence

Patriots - TBD

Very possible a team fluctuates in division from season to season.  6-10 to 11-5 to 7-9 and so on.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar