For the first time under McDermott in a big game the Bills didn't play scared and they dominated...

Big Turk

We might look back at this game as one of the defining games under McDermott if he ends up leading this team to never before seen heights and winning a SB...or even routinely going deep into the playoffs.

For the first time today against a top team McDermott didn't coach scared like we had to limit the other team in some way and play it safe...either on offense or defense like we did against KC. 

We just came out and went after them on both sides of the ball and got after them. And I believe the players responded to the confidence their coach showed in them to aggressively attack with a ton of energy and belief amd it showed in their play on the field.

Even after we got the lead we just kept attacking on both sides...no shell...no endless runs hoping to run the clock down and hold on at the end...

We put the pedal to the metal and ended up dominating the game from start to finish, rattling Wilson, hitting him 16 times and getting 5 sacks, 2 INTs and 2 fumbles.

The light may have gone on for McDermott in terms of how to coach in big games like this and that we need to play aggressively instead of conservatively. We need to make other teams adjust to us instead of always adjusting to them. We need to just be relentless on both sides of the ball.

If so the sky is the limit for this team. That was the one area I hated him in up until this game is that we gave too much respect to good teams and didn't play aggressively enough. That all changed today. Hopefully for good.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

We might look back at this game as one of the defining games under McDermott if he ends up leading this team to never before seen heights and winning a SB...or even routinely going deep into the playoffs.

For the first time today against a top team McDermott didn't coach scared like we had to limit the other team in some way and play it safe...either on offense or defense like we did against KC. 

We just came out and went after them on both sides of the ball and got after them. And I believe the players responded to the confidence their coach showed in them to aggressively attack with a ton of energy and belief amd it showed in their play on the field.

Even after we got the lead we just kept attacking on both sides...no shell...no endless runs hoping to run the clock down and hold on at the end...

We put the pedal to the metal and ended up dominating the game from start to finish, rattling Wilson, hitting him 16 times and getting 5 sacks, 2 INTs and 2 fumbles.

The light may have gone on for McDermott in terms of how to coach in big games like this and that we need to play aggressively instead of conservatively. We need to make other teams adjust to us instead of always adjusting to them. We need to just be relentless on both sides of the ball.

If so the sky is the limit for this team. That was the one area I hated him in up until this game is that we gave too much respect to good teams and didn't play aggressively enough. That all changed today. Hopefully for good.

I think it was freeing to play the seahawks. He knew Wilson was going to go nuts regardless, so why not just bring a ton of pressure and go for it.

It resulted in big plays given up, but big plays from the D (which we haven’t had any of which this year).  It has to be the way this defense plays this year, because they aren’t good enough to play bend/don’t break. 

• Like (+1) 2

It wasn't his first time... but maybe it was his first doing so all the way from beginning to end, on both sides of the ball. And I'm glad he did. I expected a super high score, he-who-scores-last-wins affair, and we got even better than that since the D came through. Crazy how the run offense was a total non-factor yet they could crush the Seahawks anyway!

I don't recall the Bills blitzing so much and it was fun! Seahawks got way more sacks yet I feel the Bills D put way more pressure and that overall Josh was protected well.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

It was great to see the intensity on all sides of the ball. For the offense , it’s the best since the first four games of the season. But for the defense, it’s the best, by far, this year in my opinion. It’s like they finally woke up or some thing. I really hope this continues. I believe this was a special win but the team has to capitalize on it from here on end

Much like our offense has shown a week to week scheme change, it appears McDermott & Frazier dialed up a defensive game plan the Seahawks did not expect. The element of surprise was huge. More importantly the players executed the plan. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've long been a critic of the coaching taking their foot off the gas and the predictable game plans against the better coaches in the NFL.  

Today they kept that foot on the pedal and the defense was buzzing.  I was happy to see it. I'm not sure if they simplified the plan or threw in new plays or a bit of both, but the defense looked fast, and the entire team played with purpose.

• Like (+1) 1

There are just too many good QBs in the NFL right now to think you're going to get anywhere by rushing four and trying to disguise coverages.  Maybe we can do a little of that against Lock and Tua this season.  Otherwise we need to keep throwing this amount of pressure.  Yes, you give up chunk plays sometimes because of it, but hell we were giving up chunk plays anyway.  Plus we saw today the impact it has on turnover differential.  

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree somewhat with the OP.  We should've played (crushed) the bad teams we played earlier in the year (i.e. Jets).  And we should've showed up against the Titans--a team that hadn't practiced in nearly TWO WEEKS!!.  A lost was probable but it shouldn't have been that easy for them. 

I love the fact that they kept throwing the ball.  They knew the weakness and kept exploiting it.  Even after a good game running the ball last week, they didn't even try to stay balanced. They just attacked the weakest part of their defense.  

Keep in mind Seattle is one dimensional on offense.  They have a terrible run game right now and it made it easier to play defense.  Let's hope they learned the lesson that it's ok to give up a few chunk plays if you get negative plays too.  

24 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

There are just too many good QBs in the NFL right now to think you're going to get anywhere by rushing four and trying to disguise coverages.  Maybe we can do a little of that against Lock and Tua this season.  Otherwise we need to keep throwing this amount of pressure.  Yes, you give up chunk plays sometimes because of it, but hell we were giving up chunk plays anyway.  Plus we saw today the impact it has on turnover differential.  

We rushed four and disguised coverages a lot today.

I don’t like the “coached scared” comments.  Sure, McD is learning and improving, this is his first HC gig. 

I don’t think he is scared.  The time was right to be aggressive and he was.  

If player execution was not as goos as it was I have no doubt some fans would consider this game plan to be reckless. .  

Edited by Bob in STL

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Totally disagree.

They've lost in big games before. They've never played scared.

They've played conservative a few times. Never scared.

Semantics. When you are afraid to go toe to toe with KC and try and shorten the game and run the ball you are scared to try and keep up with them.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We rushed four and disguised coverages a lot today.

We also blitzed more than in any other game from start to finish that I have seen under McDermott

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Totally disagree.

They've lost in big games before. They've never played scared.

They've played conservative a few times. Never scared.

Pittsburgh last year they (coaching staff) were so scared, they probably wet themselves.  There were plenty of games like that.

Yesterday they did exactly what many of us clamored for, for 60 minutes (though should have probably thrown for 500😜).