NFL-related Covid News

Greg S
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please refer to @SDS pinned post

This is NOT a thread for general covid-19 discussion - state of the pandemic across the country, what death rate is currently etc etc etc

It is to discuss:
-NFL Covid Policy (with references, not your speculation about how they test or what you think they should do)

-Player test results

-How NFL covid results affects teams and games

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The NFL needs to consider changing their views on covid for the playoffs. Each team should be able to basically designate 2 critical players, such that if they get covid, it will require rescheduling the game to accommodate the quarantine period. 

No one wants to see any of these star players get covid. If any team loses its QB due to covid, their odds of winning go almost down to zero. 

I get where you're coming from, good thought.  However, what if Team A has their "priority player" test positive/close contact week 1, then team 2 has same situation week 2.  Delays in schedule could be unreasonable, and would possibly impact all playoff teams getting a schedule delay (depending on what round this occurs).

I could see this as a possibility for super bowl only, but highly doubt it will happen.  Granted this yr is crazy, but every season key players get injured.  We aren't going to delay the super bowl 1 week so all of a sudden player A with a sprained knee can be available, so why do it for Covid?  I would see if a team outbreak occurs, which is exactly what the NFL has been doing

Edited by MasterStrategist

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I get where you're coming from, good thought.  However, what if Team A has their "priority player" test positive/close contact week 1, then team 2 has same situation week 2.  Delays in schedule could be unreasonable, and would possibly impact all playoff teams getting a schedule delay (depending on what round this occurs).

I could see this as a possibility for super bowl only, but highly doubt it will happen.  Granted this yr is crazy, but every season key players get injured.  We aren't going to delay the super bowl 1 week so all of a sudden player A with a sprained knee can be available, so why do it for Covid?  I would see if a team outbreak occurs, which is exactly what the NFL has been doing

Agreed with your counter-arguments. The hope would be to “play the odds” that multiple “critical” players wouldn’t get sick in such a way that the schedule goes into the toilet. 

but an alternative to my proposal would be to start this as the conference championship round, at least. 

Romo out from the CBS booth due to covid!  Unclear if he has it or was exposed

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/breaking-tony-romo-to-miss-nfl-on-cbs-work-due-to-covid

Saints scrambling at RB as their RBs all prove to be close contacts:

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-will-be-without-entire-rb-room-on-sunday-due-to-close-contact-to-alvin-ka

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

amazing that the NFL got an entire season in without any games being missed, no extra weeks added, and no bubble!

Every time there is a new post in here, I hold my breath.  The virus is the great equalizer of the NFL playoffs.  You almost feel like one team is going to get the shaft and the numbers of which team it is are dwindling.  So far Tennessee, Cleveland and Baltimore have got through the worst they are likely to see.  Most teams have had some inconveniences to either players, schedule or both.  But it just feels like there is one bombshell revelation to hit before we get to the Superbowl.

Edited by wjag

Just now, wjag said:

Every time there is a new post in here, I hold my breath.  The virus is the great equalizer of the NFL playoffs.  You almost feel like one team is going to get the shaft and the numbers are dwindling.  So far Tennessee, Cleveland and Baltimore have got through the worst they are likely to see.  Most teams have had some inconveniences to either players, schedule or both.  But it just feels like there is one bombshell revelation to hit before we get to the Superbowl.

I know... It feels so random, because you know these guys are doing everything they can not to catch it, especially now. 

29 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I know... It feels so random, because you know these guys are doing everything they can not to catch it, especially now. 

Except that they aren't.  The pics of Kamarra at the nightclub....the Ravens S&C coach who didn't report his symptoms, left off his contact tracker, and went unmasked

It's not random, but each team is only as strong as their weakest link

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that they aren't.  The pics of Kamarra at the nightclub....the Ravens S&C coach who didn't report his symptoms, left off his contact tracker, and went unmasked

It's not random, but each team is only as strong as their weakest link

Every time I see your posts I feel like Feliciano is yelling at me! LOL

I didn't realize Kamara was out and about or the details about the Ravens coach. That makes me feel a bit better, because I feel like the Bills are a pretty buttoned up operation. 

• Haha (+1) 1

We've seen all these posts about infections but ZERO follow up on how they are doing, if they survived, if anyone in their family has had any serious medical issues due to the infection or if any of them have sustained permanent lung damage as we all know is a very common consequence.

This is a DEADLY virus but for some reason, no one seems to be worried about the health of those infected!

What's up with that??

50 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Every time I see your posts I feel like Feliciano is yelling at me! LOL

I didn't realize Kamara was out and about or the details about the Ravens coach. That makes me feel a bit better, because I feel like the Bills are a pretty buttoned up operation. 

Maybe?  Again, any organization is only as strong as its weakest link.  It's good the Bills are wearing masks on the sidelines, but I'd feel happier about it if the masks were worn properly (covering mouth AND nose)

18 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

We've seen all these posts about infections but ZERO follow up on how they are doing, if they survived, if anyone in their family has had any serious medical issues due to the infection or if any of them have sustained permanent lung damage as we all know is a very common consequence.

This is a DEADLY virus but for some reason, no one seems to be worried about the health of those infected!

What's up with that??

Well, there's some information.  Garrett has publically acknowledged he is still battling effects on his lungs where he breaks into coughing fits or feels like he's choking when he tries to grab some deep breaths.  Tommy Sweeney presumably authorized the Bills to disclose he has cardiomyopathy. Denver DE Shelby Harris spent 29 days on the covid-19 reserve list and has spoken out that while the initial virus wasn't that bad, he had after effects that lingered: "“It was really more the after-effects that kind of got to me — just like weird nerve pains and stuff that was unexplainable. I’m telling you that stuff was just crazy. I’m just happy to be back and happy to be healthy — like, really, truly happy to be healthy.”

If you want to look up the demographics (age related) probability of death, that information is widely available, so I'm not sure where you're trying to go with that.  Ditto what effects may be permanent and how frequent they are overall.  Both are beyond the scope of NFL-related discussion.  Please see @SDS pinned post.

In general, it needs to be remembered that outside of required injury reports, football players have the same right to personal medical privacy for themselves and their families as anyone else; whatever symptoms they have that keep them on the covid-19 list for a month or that still affect them after they're activated, should be their choice to disclose or not beyond what the league requires, just as with the details of any other injury beyond "shoulder" "knee" "ankle" "illness".

I've regularly seen good wishes for the health of those infected and their families, but feel free to add yours.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, there's some information.  Garrett has publically acknowledged he is still battling effects on his lungs where he breaks into coughing fits or feels like he's choking when he tries to grab some deep breaths.  Tommy Sweeney presumably authorized the Bills to disclose he has cardiomyopathy. Denver DE Shelby Harris spent 29 days on the covid-19 reserve list and has spoken out that while the initial virus wasn't that bad, he had after effects that lingered: "“It was really more the after-effects that kind of got to me — just like weird nerve pains and stuff that was unexplainable. I’m telling you that stuff was just crazy. I’m just happy to be back and happy to be healthy — like, really, truly happy to be healthy.”

If you want to look up the demographics (age related) probability of death, that information is widely available, so I'm not sure where you're trying to go with that.  Ditto what effects may be permanent and how frequent they are overall.  Both are beyond the scope of NFL-related discussion.  Please see @SDS pinned post.

In general, it needs to be remembered that outside of required injury reports, football players have the same right to personal medical privacy for themselves and their families as anyone else; whatever symptoms they have that keep them on the covid-19 list for a month or that still affect them after they're activated, should be their choice to disclose or not beyond what the league requires, just as with the details of any other injury beyond "shoulder" "knee" "ankle" "illness".

I've regularly seen good wishes for the health of those infected and their families, but feel free to add yours.

Finally some information past "now on Covid list". I hope those last two recover soon!

I found it very interesting that the topic of conversation was more about game impacts than the actual health of the players who have contracted a deadly virus.

Not sure what you're hinting at here.  This is where we discuss Covid infections, I wanted to know more than "he got it" and was surprised to not see more follow-up in this thread.

A normal question for a fan of football concerned about the health of players!

I'm hoping that none of the covid tests costs associated with the Bills home playoff games are being absorbed by the taxpayers.  I'm including the setup/breakdown of the tent structures and any traffic control needed during test times....and yes I know that the cost of the test itself is being absorbed by the ticket holders.

18 hours ago, BTB said:

I'm hoping that none of the covid tests costs associated with the Bills home playoff games are being absorbed by the taxpayers.  I'm including the setup/breakdown of the tent structures and any traffic control needed during test times....and yes I know that the cost of the test itself is being absorbed by the ticket holders.

And what are you going to do if they aren't?

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Stefanski and other Browns coaches test positive.... this is the big fear. 

Was there anything to suggest the Browns outbreak was self inflicted/made worse by lack of protocol obedience? 

Make the playoffs for the first time in 18 years and they won't have their HC and multiple players. Wild. 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Stefanski and other Browns coaches test positive.... this is the big fear. 

Was there anything to suggest the Browns outbreak was self inflicted/made worse by lack of protocol obedience? 

Man-o-man Cleveland.  First team to lose the HC for a game.  Hope he gets well.  A good buddy of mine has seasons to Cleveland.  I went with him last year to the Bills-Browns game there.  I was treated as the "frenemy" but I have nothing but good things to say about the Browns and their fans.  We have a shared agony.  

15 minutes ago, wjag said:

Man-o-man Cleveland.  First team to lose the HC for a game.  Hope he gets well.  A good buddy of mine has seasons to Cleveland.  I went with him last year to the Bills-Browns game there.  I was treated as the "frenemy" but I have nothing but good things to say about the Browns and their fans.  We have a shared agony.  

Lions lost their HC for a game

17 minutes ago, wjag said:

I wonder if you can quarantine a coach in a private booth upstairs.

14 minutes ago, sabres431 said:

Lions lost their HC for a game

Oh that's right.  It was the I-HC.  I forgot him.  I was thinking it was the OC or DC or other minions.

54 minutes ago, wjag said:

Oh that's right.  It was the I-HC.  I forgot him.  I was thinking it was the OC or DC or other minions.

I think it was both.  HC, DC and a bunch of other defensive assistants.  They had like a defensive assistant (the guy who scouts other teams and assembles film) calling plays IIRC.

Edit: found this https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30587823/several-detroit-lions-coaches-contact-tracing

OK, I'm going to unpin this thread per the results of poll, most people seem to think that for the playoffs, we would want individual threads for each team.  I'll leave it open in case there are general league announcements about policies people want to put here.

We'll see how that goes.