NFL-related Covid News

Greg S
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please refer to @SDS pinned post

This is NOT a thread for general covid-19 discussion - state of the pandemic across the country, what death rate is currently etc etc etc

It is to discuss:
-NFL Covid Policy (with references, not your speculation about how they test or what you think they should do)

-Player test results

-How NFL covid results affects teams and games

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exactly. 

I think the Ravens should forfeit, be fined the amount of the Steelers game checks, and pay the Steelers.  But that's just me.

They can't do that after they instructed their loyal press to hail the Titans as heroes of the universe even though they were caught red handed practicing illegally. If the Titans were to beat out the Ravens for a playoff spot it would be a big mess.

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

They can't do that after they instructed their loyal press to hail the Titans as heroes of the universe even though they were caught red handed practicing illegally. If the Titans were to beat out the Ravens for a playoff spot it would be a big mess.

I've always thought that the NFL was ultimately like the joke about "where does a 1500 lb polar bear sit?"  "anywhere it wants"

I also didn't hear the Titans hailed as "heroes of the universe".  They simply weren't punished as severely as some felt they should be.  The conclusion seemed to be that the prohibition on extramural workouts wasn't communicated clearly and quickly to the players.

• Like (+1) 1

More covid-positive Steelers:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30406740/sources-pittsburgh-steelers-player-coach-test-positive-coronavirus

A day after placing three players on the reserve/COVID-19 list, the Pittsburgh Steelers have more positive tests, including one from running back James Conner, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday.......Along with Conner, a coach has also tested positive, sources told Schefter. ........Defensive end Stephon Tuitt, defensive lineman Isaiah Buggs and offensive lineman Jerald Hawkins were put on the reserve list Friday, while offensive lineman Kevin Dotson went on the list Nov. 14.

The Steelers haven't practiced since Wednesday after coach Mike Tomlin canceled practice Thursday, Friday and Saturday following the changes to their schedule.

2 hours ago, Process said:

Denver pulled all of their QBs from practice today. 

Feels like the season is starting to fall apart.

Something is NOT adding up here.  Driskel tested positive Thurs based on a test from Weds.

His contacts should have been traced and identified Thurs (Fri at the latest).

But now the NFL is deciding they are ineligible based on Saturday interactions?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/every-quarterback-on-broncos-roster-ruled-ineligible-for-week-12-after-teammate-jeff-driskel-tested-for-covid/

This article could be mistaken, but it makes it sound as though the NFL reviewed film of the Broncos practice and based their assessment on that, rather than on Kinexion tracking data and etc:

The NFL, per Klis, reviewed tape of Lock, Rypien and Bortles interacting with Driskel on Wednesday and that is what sprung the decision to send them home and ultimately rule them out for Week 12. Schefter adds that the trio of quarterbacks were not wearing masks

Contact tracing is NOT supposed to be done by the NFL reviewing film of practice.  It's supposed to be based upon hard data from the Kinexions.

As for what the next steps are at figuring out a plan at quarterback, Benjamin Allbright of KOA Colorado notes that receiver Kendall Hinton will play plenty at quarterback on Sunday. Hinton played some QB at Wake Forest and completed 53% of his passes for 1,504 yards passing, eight touchdowns, and seven interceptions. Other options include third-string running back Royce Freeman, who is the emergency quarterback for the Broncos. Denver could also run a Wildcat offense centered around Phillip Lindsay and Melvin Gordon if they so chose. 

The positive test was taken Weds. and results delivered Thurs.

It took until TODAY to decide these guys were close contacts? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

like I said

Monday off. ;) 

Monday is normally not off.  Teams come into the facility for evaluation by trainers, treatment, watch film, and then take to the field to "walk through" corrections identified on film. 

I'm not quite sure how "victory Monday" differs but I think it may be a shorter day off - maybe they just get evaluation and treatment, maybe they get treatment and watch film but don't "walk through" corrections.

Point is, they normally have access to the facility for physician and trainer evaluation and treatment.

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've always thought that the NFL was ultimately like the joke about "where does a 1500 lb polar bear sit?"  "anywhere it wants"

I also didn't hear the Titans hailed as "heroes of the universe".  They simply weren't punished as severely as some felt they should be.  The conclusion seemed to be that the prohibition on extramural workouts wasn't communicated clearly and quickly to the players.

Dude that entire Tuesday broadcast was about how much the Titans had to overcome and what a heroic effort they put forward.  Swept under the rug were the photos of practices in total violation of very well known rules and they went without any significant punishment.