National Spotlight - Face it Buffalo is not much of a story

12 hours ago, uticaclub said:

We had 2 prime time games after getting a ton of press for starting 4-0 and got our asses handed to us in back to back weeks on national TV. After that we played 2 of the worse teams in the NFL, narrowly won and looked bad doing it. We don't deserve any attention until we prove we deserve it

Exactly and I think OUR fans realize we can't beat top teams without a strong defense

23 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Pitt and KC are both decidedly better than Buffalo unless the Bills can straighten out the defense.  If they can, they'd be up  there with them too.  Agree, Lamar may be figured out.

Right now PIT, KC, Baltimore and Tennessee are better than the Bills (or slightly above us).   We have to fix our defense to be part of those elite teams.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2020 at 9:04 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

They were after week 4, but now not so much as people for the most part are meh about a 6-2 team that has not played well the past four weeks.

I wish it was different, but it is what it is.

Look at the stories going on.....

WIlson and the 6-1 Seahwaks, Pitt undefeated, KC being KC, TB  & TB, Brees and what exactly are the Saints, NYJ (ha ha ha), Dallas (what a disaster), Rodgers regressing, Baltimore and has the league figured out Lamar, Arizona & is Kyler a star, Burrow, Herbert........

I want the Bills in thew spotlight and hope that changes the next two weeks.

Ok boomer

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Seemed weeks 3-4 (in particular) they were a big story and plenty of threads on National Stories.  Sorry for bothering you with a thread......😡 

this and 300 yard games is what keeps you up at night.  

we know you need to be entertained, but how bored are you?  

14 hours ago, CBennett said:

Yup im not that excited either they seem to be treading mediocrity rather than getting better.....the first 4 weeks were great.... D sucked BUT the o could score with ANYONE in the league weeks 1-4... now the D STILL sucks..and the O can barely outscore the WORST teams in the league....Id be much more excited if you could flip flop weeks 14- and 5-8 id be super excited if they started out the year going 2-2 and looking bad then all of a sudden in week 5,6,7,8 they were scoring like they did games 1-4 30+ a week....

At this point im hoping they win want them to win but my optimism and  positivity is just not there.... hopefully they can flip some switch and get to that point where they are closer to weeks 1-4 rather than the last 4 weeks..hell id take a middle ground of 25 points and the D playing better,  Go Bills good luck!

It's crazy how bad the bills defense is considered on the board - 

20th in yards per play, 15th in points allowed per game.  So... basically middle of the road.  The biggest concern to me is the 3rd down defense which is ranked 30th.  The rush defense also needs to improve, which will help keep teams in harder 3rd down situations.  If they can get off the field more they'll allow fewer yards and points.  

On offense they're 9th in yards per play, and 19th in points per game, 9th in points per drive.  They have the best 3rd down offense in the NFL, and are 12th in RZ TD%. 

While our defense is "holding us back", the media ignores the Miami offense being as bad or worse than buffalo's defense.  23rd in yards per play, 11th in points per game (this is propped up considerably from the Rams game where their 28 points were generated from 34 total yards of offense).  I don't think their offense will see significant improvement under Tua, mainly because they still can't run the ball effectively.  They won the SF game, and were in the SEA and BUF games because of fitz - and he's now on the bench.  

35 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It's crazy how bad the bills defense is considered on the board - 

20th in yards per play, 15th in points allowed per game.  So... basically middle of the road.  The biggest concern to me is the 3rd down defense which is ranked 30th.  The rush defense also needs to improve, which will help keep teams in harder 3rd down situations.  If they can get off the field more they'll allow fewer yards and points.  

On offense they're 9th in yards per play, and 19th in points per game, 9th in points per drive.  They have the best 3rd down offense in the NFL, and are 12th in RZ TD%. 

While our defense is "holding us back", the media ignores the Miami offense being as bad or worse than buffalo's defense.  23rd in yards per play, 11th in points per game (this is propped up considerably from the Rams game where their 28 points were generated from 34 total yards of offense).  I don't think their offense will see significant improvement under Tua, mainly because they still can't run the ball effectively.  They won the SF game, and were in the SEA and BUF games because of fitz - and he's now on the bench.  

How about 2 wins vs. one of the worst offenses in the league NYJ, another vs. NE coming off games they scored 10, 12 & 9 poiints and moving the ball at will vs. Buffalo.  Yes good offenses with KC, LAR & Tenn, two of which gashed them on the ground and the third scored at will (yes some short fields, but converted every time).

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How about 2 wins vs. one of the worst offenses in the league NYJ, another vs. NE coming off games they scored 10, 12 & 9 poiints and moving the ball at will vs. Buffalo.  Yes good offenses with KC, LAR & Tenn, two of which gashed them on the ground and the third scored at will (yes some short fields, but converted every time).

I don't think the defense is good, but this board acts like they are some level of historically bad.  Improvements on 3rd down would go a long way for them.  KC was 9/14, Tenn was 6/10, Vegas was 8/14, Rams 6/10.  Right now our % is higher than the worst defenses in the league a year ago, and the average yards per drive is also up considerably as a result.  

If they can figure out how to get off the field they go from a poor defense to an OK defense.  This is legit flipping 3-5 play results per game.  Better tackling, better pressure (Buffalo is tied for 10th in sacks, but losing contain and generating more pressure up the middle would help), and better awareness could help tip the scales here.

This also harms the offense - they currently have the 2nd fewest total drives of teams who have played 8 games.  They have a low points per game average as a result.  Fewer drives leads to fewer plays leads to fewer yards leads to fewer points.

Edited by dneveu

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

I don't think the defense is good, but this board acts like they are some level of historically bad.  Improvements on 3rd down would go a long way for them.  KC was 9/14, Tenn was 6/10, Vegas was 8/14, Rams 6/10.  Right now our % is higher than the worst defenses in the league a year ago, and the average yards per drive is also up considerably as a result.  

If they can figure out how to get off the field they go from a poor defense to an OK defense.  This is legit flipping 3-5 play results per game.  Better tackling, better pressure (Buffalo is tied for 10th in sacks, but losing contain and generating more pressure up the middle would help), and better awareness could help tip the scales here.

This also harms the offense - they currently have the 2nd fewest total drives of teams who have played 8 games.  They have a low points per game average as a result.  Fewer drives leads to fewer plays leads to fewer yards leads to fewer points.

This again goes back to McD & a false sense of security about the Defense, which was ranked very high the past two years, but also were recipients of weak schedules & bad teams.  Last year name a top flight passing Qb they faced (Tom Brady with a weak receiving core, Lamar not a great passer, Dak who threw for 350)....  It actually was just horrible, which resulted in overestimating their ability, and now are seeing what probably was always there. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019.htm

On 11/3/2020 at 6:10 AM, Beerball said:

That spotlight illuminated the fact that the Bills are still The Not Ready for Prime Time Players.

We were, many of us, giddy going into the TN game and the team shat the bed.  It’s nice that we have a decent team. We do not have a dominant team.

Yet...

On 11/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

They were after week 4, but now not so much as people for the most part are meh about a 6-2 team that has not played well the past four weeks.

Look at the stories going on.....

WIlson and the 6-1 Seahwaks, Pitt undefeated, KC being KC, TB  & TB, Brees and what exactly are the Saints, NYJ (ha ha ha), Dallas (what a disaster), Rodgers regressing, Baltimore and has the league figured out Lamar, Arizona & is Kyler a star, Burrow, Herbert........

Football fans across the country see and understand the strides the Bills are making.  Right now they look like the top team in the AFCE, possibly a playoff home game win, and that could be their ceiling for the season.  That would be a good step.  Like the progression most teams have to make before they are ready to win it all. 

National Spotlights and big media are for those who crave attention.  

Edited by Bob in STL

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This again goes back to McD & a false sense of security about the Defense, which was ranked very high the past two years, but also were recipients of weak schedules & bad teams.  Last year name a top flight passing Qb they faced (Tom Brady with a weak receiving core, Lamar not a great passer, Dak who threw for 350)....  It actually was just horrible, which resulted in overestimating their ability, and now are seeing what probably was always there. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019.htm

I still think they're probably better than the worst 3rd down defense in the NFL.  If they can improve that and get off the field it'll go a long way.  

Maybe lamar wasn't a great passer but they were #1 in scoring and #2 in yards.  They had a season low in yards against buffalo in 2019.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:04 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

What a sad, insecure take to have. Maybe I’ve been missing the point all these years, but I thought the goal is to win games, not attract attention from big market media. If the team keeps on winning, what on earth is your problem (besides finding something else to complain about every other day)?

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

What a sad, insecure take to have. Maybe I’ve been missing the point all these years, but I thought the goal is to win games, not attract attention from big market media. If the team keeps on winning, what on earth is your problem (besides finding something else to complain about every other day)?

When I turn on ESPN, or any radio station in the car, or watch TV on Monday, like most Fans I want to see my team talked about.  Sorry WGR doesn't cut it for me.  

Yep it was fun watching Highly Questionable, Around the Horn or PTI..... and the Bills discussed (vs. NE or GB, NO, TB, Cowboys, KC, Balt and the usual suspects).  I'd say that is a normal reaction. 

I don't like the way the Bills have played the last 4 weeks and surprise, neither has the National Media and thus they've cooled on them.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

When I turn on ESPN, or any radio station in the car, or watch TV on Monday, like most Fans I want to see my team talked about.  Sorry WGR doesn't cut it for me.  

Yep it was fun watching Highly Questionable, Around the Horn or PTI..... and the Bills discussed (vs. NE or GB, NO, TB, Cowboys, KC, Balt and the usual suspects).  I'd say that is a normal reaction. 

I don't like the way the Bills have played the last 4 weeks and surprise, neither has the National Media and thus they've cooled on them.

Well going to ESPN of all places for NFL news and analysis is one of your many mistakes. It isn’t 1999 anymore. If local coverage isn’t available (or good enough) for you then try NFLN. The morning show talks about the Bills on a consistent basis.

And if you want “pretty wins” to crow about realize the team is still a work in progress. Check in after at least 4-5 years of sustained success and if they’re still winning by 2 every week then gripe away I suppose. 

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well going to ESPN of all places for NFL news and analysis is one of your many mistakes. It isn’t 1999 anymore. If local coverage isn’t available (or good enough) for you then try NFLN. The morning show talks about the Bills on a consistent basis.

And if you want “pretty wins” to crow about realize the team is still a work in progress. Check in after at least 4-5 years of sustained success and if they’re still winning by 2 every week then gripe away I suppose. 

Yes. ESPN is a shell of its former self.  I don’t waste a minute of time on it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/3/2020 at 6:10 AM, Beerball said:

That spotlight illuminated the fact that the Bills are still The Not Ready for Prime Time Players.

We were, many of us, giddy going into the TN game and the team shat the bed.  It’s nice that we have a decent team. We do not have a dominant team.

You won't get national respect until you earn it. Beating Dallas on Thanksgiving got us attention but crapping that lead in Houston cancelled that out. Our team this year is offensively better but suddenly our defense is terrible. My goal this year was to win the AFCE for the first time in 25 years and win 1 playoff game (Colts). Hopefully we can achieve these goals but there's no way we're ready yet to beat KC, Pittsburgh, Tenn. or Baltimore. We need a better defense, Guards and TE. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You won't get national respect until you earn it. Beating Dallas on Thanksgiving got us attention but crapping that lead in Houston cancelled that out. Our team this year is offensively better but suddenly our defense is terrible. My goal this year was to win the AFCE for the first time in 25 years and win 1 playoff game (Colts). Hopefully we can achieve these goals but there's no way we're ready yet to beat KC, Pittsburgh, Tenn. or Baltimore. We need a better defense, Guards and TE. 

I will disagree as I am an optimist on everyone except KC.  Pitt is really making many mistakes and have been lucky a few games.  Tenn is like us, good, not great & Baltimore if they're behind, they too are in trouble.

Again I'm high on the Bills once the coaching improves.  The losses (and last 4 games) show their deficiencies.