Doing Anything Different for Thanksgiving due to the Pandemic?

Irv

We normally host extended family for Thanksgiving.  That includes parents over 80 yrs old.  We’re wondering what to do.  Is your family cancelling?   Might be a run on small turkeys at the store this year.   I thought this thing would be over by now.  

Sitting on my #ss here at home most likely. Alone. 

ALL ALONE. 

The worst part of my job comes that following Monday through Dec. 23, so Thursday-Sunday will be a sitting around doing nothing kinda weekend. If the weather is good I'll definitely get outside and hike.

We will be keeping our thanksgiving dinner contained to those that live in our household. We’d love to do a big family dinner but we’ve decided to play it safe.

My extended family (on one side) is having a big get together and invited us but we politely declined. It’s not worth the risk to us (we are higher risk for covid). They haven’t been being careful at all (and I’ll leave it at that so I don’t derail the thread...).

We might do a short, smaller outdoor get together with a few close family members if the weather is agreeable. 

Edited by BillsFan4

We are still undecided but we will probably go ahead and do the normal family thing. Their are no really old people in the family anymore as they have all passed away. The oldest now are in their late 50's. Everyone is in good health.

I am curious to see how many people will be trick or treating this Saturday.

Years ago we became the hub for Thanksgiving with maybe a couple dozen people on average. This is going to become an issue for us. We “win” Thanksgiving with our son and his new wife since her family does a HUGE thing at Christmas in Florida. (She’s one of SIX daughters, mostly older with full families.) Then there is my 93 year old mother from whom we have regularly been keeping our distance. It will also be her birthday. Now I learn my sister and her husband are driving down from Wisconsin to see their two daughters here. There is also my wife’s assistant, daughter of some very close friends in Florida. She moved here to work for my wife and knows nobody but us at this point. There is also a family from Florida who moved here not too long ago who started having Thanksgiving with us about 20 years ago. They have two sons, both engaged. There are several other people who are “basically alone” that would normally be invited. 

I was planning to have this conversation with my wife today after it came up on my college hoops board last night, but her assistant is working here today. There is a line to be drawn, the question is where. I have an idea in my mind and can only hope we are on the same page. There is no good answer as all options have flaws. 

"If allowed" (wink, wink) ...we're heading to Buffalo for a week+ to be w/ our daughter for the holiday. We've reserved an AirBnb and plan on doing a small meal w/ her. We're hoping CA will be lifted off the naughty list w/in the next 3 weeks (the only reason we're on it now is because LA County had a backlog of cases dumped into the system). Otherwise we're going to have to be undercover. After working in LE for 27+ years, I'm a rule follower and I hate disobeying the rules for the good or bad of it. If we go, and CA quarantine isn't lifted ... I'll be a stress case. 

2 hours ago, Irv said:

We normally host extended family for Thanksgiving.  That includes parents over 80 yrs old.  We’re wondering what to do.  Is your family cancelling?   Might be a run on small turkeys at the store this year.   I thought this thing would be over by now.  

This thing won't be over by this time next year, in 2021.

We are just going over my sisters who also lives in Lancaster.  My parents will be there and my BIL parents.  We do that every year, but usually my cousins come in from Vegas but they are not this year.

I did get some good news today.  My wife's cousin called her and said they are not having everybody over for Christmas Day this year due to Covid.  Music to my ears as I hate going over there.  I think I will buy some nice ribeye steaks for Christmas & grill those bad boys.  Actually looking forward to Christmas for a change.

Edited by Gordio

In the past 5 years we have had a large gathering in northern WV at my SIL's  parents house.

Not this year.  Just having a gathering at our house with oldest daughter and grandkids.

We grilled steak for Christmas 2019 and it was awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

We used to all go to one of my sisters in Buffalo. But my wife and I are in Syracuse, our son is in Boston, my last surviving uncle died in April from Covid, my 89 year old mother lives alone, and my sister who we’d go to was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. So it’s very unlikely that we can get together unless through Zoom.

We usually do “Friendsgiving” with a couple friend of ours and their son.  Lots of fun.  Had to cancel this year due to travel restrictions.  I guess we’re just doing a simple family dinner this year.  I do all the cooking, and my wife bakes pies.  Looking forward to it.  Should be nice and peaceful.

35 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

We usually do “Friendsgiving” with a couple friend of ours and their son.  Lots of fun.  Had to cancel this year due to travel restrictions.  I guess we’re just doing a simple family dinner this year.  I do all the cooking, and my wife bakes pies.  Looking forward to it.  Should be nice and peaceful.

I’m sure it will be very nice, but it just can’t be as nice as last year.

We won’t be kicking the Cowboy’s butts! 

• Like (+1) 1

Last Thanksgiving was one of the most memorable of my life. Breakfast at the in-laws, watched the early game (no idea who), talked about how we HOPED they wouldn’t have another prime time let down and we then drove to my parents for kickoff. Had delicious apps, a blowout first half. Dinner during the second, and pie for victory. I’m sorry but there is nothing more American than a surrogate sense of accomplishment while sampling berry pies. 

Not doing anything different. I will not subject myself or my family to isolated life in a pod. I have limited time left with my parents and I don’t intend on forcing them to see their only son and only grandchild on a screen instead of in person. 

That said we’re all in good health and live in the same state. Not everyone is so blessed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Business as usual. Its always been me and my parents and my wife and her parents and the kids for the last decade or so. Nothing huge, just a great day to feast, drink a few and watch football. As I get older Thanksgiving is becoming my favorite holiday. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.