Jake Fromm explains life as Emergency Covid QB

YoloinOhio

The plan is for Fromm to be in this role the entire season.

It definitely took some getting used to at first.

"I didn't know exactly what I was getting myself into to start with, but it's something I'm definitely growing into," From said. "Trying to figure out the best way to do certain things."

Four-plus weeks later, Fromm is more in the groove of the routine.

He comes to One Bills Drive each day just like everyone else. Inside, his schedule is filled with the same things as his teammates with meetings, lifting, and practice. The difference is how and when those things take place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

That was a nice little article on a diifferent topic than the usual - kudos to the Spectrum reporter who got the interview and put it together.

Interesting the insight that it's been tough on relationship building - factor in also how his whole tenure started w/ the tweet controversy.

Thought it must also suck for the practice squad guys to have to stay out for an extra 40 mins to catch for him as well 😛

• Like (+1) 1

I thought this was a bad quote from him. Dangerous to say "there's no rules or anything" in regards to COVID protocol. For a guy who is spending so much time with a PR guy, he really is not picking up much is he? 

"The locker room's sort of the only where there's no 'rules' or anything," Fromm admitted. "It's just kind of on me to govern myself. Come in, be smart, don't go dap up 50 guys on the team. Be smart. Be kind of quick in-and-out. That's on me to govern me and be safe and staying distanced in there as well."

24 minutes ago, Mango said:

I thought this was a bad quote from him. Dangerous to say "there's no rules or anything" in regards to COVID protocol. For a guy who is spending so much time with a PR guy, he really is not picking up much is he? 

Fromm might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, stevewin said:

That was a nice little article on a diifferent topic than the usual - kudos to the Spectrum reporter who got the interview and put it together.

Interesting the insight that it's been tough on relationship building - factor in also how his whole tenure started w/ the tweet controversy.

Thought it must also suck for the practice squad guys to have to stay out for an extra 40 mins to catch for him as well 😛

Actually I was thinking that it probably works to their benefit.  Usually the PS wide receivers are the scout team - their job is to simulate the plays and looks our opponent will run.  The down side is they don't get to run our routes and hear our plays called very often.  So this is their chance to run the plays we run in our offense!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Fromm might not be the sharpest tool in the shed. 

That’s the thing I don’t understand.  He was supposed to have the intangibles.  Intelligent, football savvy, etc.  Love Beane but would rather have taken someone else like the punter the Jets drafted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Mango said:

I took it as saying the locker room is the only place where there aren't special rules for how he is supposed to conduct himself to stay extra distanced from the other players, not that there aren't any covid-19 protocol rules, not that the Bills locker room isn't following covid-19 protocol rules for a locker room.

I mean, makes sense right?  You can specify he doesn't lift at the same time as anyone else, he sits at the back of the QB room 15 feet away from anyone else, if everyone else is eating lunch 10  feet apart he's 20 feet apart.  You can make sure he doesn't have his locker near the other QB (which I think the Bills typically do anyway, they like to mix position groups instead of putting them right by each other).  But he kind of can't take a shower and go to his locker without getting close to someone.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

I agree it was something i was wondering about (where is he exactly? What is he doing?) Glad someone thought to call him. 

I’m thinking the whole thing is a fantastically implemented practical joke, and Fromm hasn’t figured it out yet... if it’s not that then no one likes him,  including Sean and Beane and this is their way of keeping him out of everyone’s way... persona non grata... 🤣😁😂

So what does Davis Webb do?  He is on PS and it sounds like Fromm is doing what a PS QB often does without being put into bunker for emergencies.

If #1 and #2 are down would you have Fromm or Webb play since Fromm has only had long distance interaction and Webb has been seeing doing throws with players actually on 53 man roster.

Oh and never heard of term "dap up" even when I played high school football in 80s.

"The locker room's sort of the only where there's no 'rules' or anything," Fromm admitted.

"It's just kind of on me to govern myself

Come in, be smart, don't go dap up 50 guys on the team.

Be smart. Be kind of quick in-and-out.

That's on me to govern me and be safe and staying distanced in there as well."

If I had not read explanation I would have thought "dap up" was giving a wedgie.

The Joker: You know, kids, a lot has changed since your old Uncle Joker's been away. New Gotham, new rules, even a new Batman. But now I'm tanned, I'm rested and I'm ready to give this old town a wedgie again!

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I took it as saying the locker room is the only place where there aren't special rules for how he is supposed to conduct himself to stay extra distanced from the other players, not that there aren't any covid-19 protocol rules, not that the Bills locker room isn't following covid-19 protocol rules for a locker room.

I mean, makes sense right?  You can specify he doesn't lift at the same time as anyone else, he sits at the back of the QB room 15 feet away from anyone else, if everyone else is eating lunch 10  feet apart he's 20 feet apart.  You can make sure he doesn't have his locker near the other QB (which I think the Bills typically do anyway, they like to mix position groups instead of putting them right by each other).  But he kind of can't take a shower and go to his locker without getting close to someone.

You might be right. I would agree McD runs a tight and detailed ship, so I can’t imagine there is a “no rules” portion for his Covid-QB.

It’s just a dumb thing to say. I am sure there is more color to it than what he is saying. But given the cases recently across the league and that they are playing the Tennessee Covids, it’s just terrible optics. 

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

yeah because they got all that....stuff.....to get to..

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

So what does Davis Webb do?  He is on PS and it sounds like Fromm is doing what a PS QB often does without being put into bunker for emergencies.

Huh?  Not at all!  The PS QB is the one who runs the scout team offense against which the Defense practices.  Fromm is lifting while that goes on!

Unclear to me if it's Barkley or Webb who does the Scout Team honors.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

If #1 and #2 are down would you have Fromm or Webb play since Fromm has only had long distance interaction and Webb has been seeing doing throws with players actually on 53 man roster.

First of all, Avert!

I would say it depends upon the situation.  If both Josh and Barkley are injured during a game, it would have to be Fromm to come in since Webb is on the practice squad.

If Josh is injured and out the following week, I would personally elevate Webb from the PS to back up Barkley since I thought he looked better than Fromm during camp.

But if either Josh or Barkley tests positive, then I believe the thinking is Fromm's your guy because they're close enough that the other may also get infected.