Old School Football

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Im watching the Red River Rivalry and im missing the days of old school football. The physicality is gone , WRs running around like its a walk through, no one runs the ball anymore and there are few sacks and fewer sack artists. 

I know the head shots needed go away but you can still hit a guy hard and tackle hard (to which tackling is absolutely atrocious) by proper form tackling.

Dont get me wrong, I'm loving the Josh Allen show but i want to see all aspects of the game.

The problem is you can’t hit a guy hard Anymore.  It’s a penalty.  And in college many clean hits the last few years have lead to ejections.   

Ole Miss and Alabama are both going over 600 yds of O tonight.  It’s ridiculous 

Just now, Reks Ryan said:

The problem is you can’t hit a guy hard Anymore.  It’s a penalty.

You can, it’s just that there’s a lot of “no-go” areas and timeframes for initiating contact.

Some of these Roughing the Passer penalties, it’s like, what the heck was the guy supposed to do???

Almost any head snapping hit is a penalty now.  Even shoulder to chest.  

Blindside, defenseless receiver, etc They will find a reason to throw the flag.  It’s to the point in college that if you can get 2 stops in a half, your ahead the game.  

Edited by Reks Ryan

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Have you wathced the last several SuperBowls?

Denver, Seattle, and the most recent Patriots win were all won by the defense with a game manager at QB.  Manning was a shell of himself and couldn't throw 20 yards downfield. Wilson was inexperienced and while Brady is Brady he had no weapons and put up only 13 points.  

There are all kinds of ways to win the SuperBowl.  A star QB makes it much easier but is not the only way.  

Come on, man.

Neither 2013 Russell Wilson nor 2018 Tom Brady should ever have been called a game manager. Both had explosive potential on any given play. Both were far beyond game managers.

You can make the argument about Peyton Manning that year. He certainly didn't have the arm that he'd used to have but he also was capable of winning games, though more with his brain than his arm. But in nine games that year he had 3 game-winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks. That's not what happens with game managers.

But at least the argument is reasonable with Peyton, though I don't buy it. Not true with Brady or Wilson.

I do agree, though, that Super Bowls can be won in many ways. Right now there's no defense as good as the Ravens, Bears or Bucs Super Bowl-winning defense. If we see one, and the team also has a good run game, they'll have a chance to win a Super Bowl even if the QB isn't top ten.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Unpopular take-I understand the sentiment behind the post, but I also think that people think of old school football with rose colored glasses on. When you watch highlights from old games, just look at all of the blatantly obvious late or dirty hits, poor quality play, and generally “football” that wasn’t really football. The game is still football, it’s not “unrecognizable” but the reality is these guys are a lot more athletic than most of the players from the old school time. Yes I do think that quarterbacks are catered to too much, yes I there are things that have been changed that I don’t think needed to be changed, but I think in general the people clamoring for old school football are a little to “get off my lawn” for me

It’s the same argument about how amazing Michael Jordan was and how he would never do the things the Lebron does. Now this is coming from a guy who idolized MJ, but he was not a good guy. Great player, not a great guy. Michael needed great players with him just like Lebron does.

You were doing so well until MJ/LJ

I dislike these threads & certainly eventually expected.  The Bills haven't had a top 10 offense since 2009 (ranked 9).  The last 20 years they have averaged 23rd.

Finally an Offense to be excited about & then comes the "Old School" thread.

Give me the K-Gun and a mediocre defense anyday over a top 5 defense and bottom 10 Offense year after year.....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/index.htm

• Like (+1) 1

Leather Helmets no mouth guards and real wool sweaters would separate the men from the boys.....or the boys from their heads and teeth ;)

This game is played at such a fast pace now that any collision at these speeds  can end your career give these young men a little respect.

QBs are the stars. I have zero issues them being protected... and they still get injured. I want the Bills to win, but I want them also to beat teams led by the Mahomes & Bradys. Look at the lists of injuries league wide, it's still super high. Yeah I love brutal blocks and tackles, but no need for concussions and crippling paralysis inducing cheap shots like used to be. I'm a MMA fan, but that's one on one, no cheap shots. Strangely, it's the offense not being be able to do open field blocking when there's a change of direction, or WRs not  being able to take out LBs and DBs on run plays that I find weird. But even that I'm still fine with. Football remains one brutal sport! 

Old school football, and old school coaching is why all the player safety rules are in place. The blatant hits meant to cause injury, the “separate the player from the ball” hits, purposeful head shots, etc, combined with HD TV showing the customers those very graphic “coached hits “  left the league little choice but to implement player safety rules, so as to deflect the image that it condones such play, can ya say Brain injury law suits? 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰the league/owners (same thing) will do anything to keep their monopoly intact. 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Big 12 is the last place you want to look for old school football 

Alabama ole Miss yesterday was ridiculous too. 63-48? The second best team in the country, from the SEC, allowed 48 points to an unranked opponent. There was no defense in the second half of that game at all and it ended up with a college basketball score.

I feel like every game I looked at yesterday had at least 60 points scored. Acc, sec, big 12, didn't matter. It was just garbage defense all over the place, people running wide open, horrendous tackling, etc.

I wonder if this is the product of the NFL becoming more offense focused over the last 10 years. How many more talented kids are gravitating towards playing offense in pee wee and high school and then colleges are taking kids who could play one side or the other and putting them on offense rather than defense? We talk about the ridiculous athletes, I didn't see a lot of ridiculous athletes playing defense anywhere in the country yesterday. The ridiculous athletes all had the ball in their hands.

15 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

The problem is you can’t hit a guy hard Anymore.  It’s a penalty.  And in college many clean hits the last few years have lead to ejections.   

Ole Miss and Alabama are both going over 600 yds of O tonight.  It’s ridiculous 

thats the part that needs to change, as long as your not headhunting  or taking knees out it should be fair game. Feels like watching flag football.

4 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Forget it, Jake.  

It's Chinatown 

still not helping.

BB, it’s just the way it is with injuries, head trauma, etc.  it’s not going backwards so I wouldn’t worry about it.  I’m sure the Deacon Jones ear slap was fun to watch before our time, but it was never going to stay that way.  Watching the Chiefs game and a lot of good legal hits today.  Earlier the Raiders LB hit that Chiefs player between the number like a bowling pin.

22 hours ago, wjag said:

Agreed.  The game is getting unrecognizable.   I wish Kelly, Marino, Montana and a Young could play with today’s rules.  Tom Brady may be the GOAT, but if he was subjected to the pounding Kelly took, he would not be playing in all those Superbowls and into his 40s.  

Absolutely true.   I still think Montana is the best ever but if you go by numbers there is no discussion. 

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I dislike these threads & certainly eventually expected.  The Bills haven't had a top 10 offense since 2009 (ranked 9).  The last 20 years they have averaged 23rd.

Finally an Offense to be excited about & then comes the "Old School" thread.

Give me the K-Gun and a mediocre defense anyday over a top 5 defense and bottom 10 Offense year after year.....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/index.htm

Like a broken record lol.  If a team ignores defense ,  they don’t tend to get very far .  What happened to those Bills teams that made the Super Bowl ?  Doors get blown off in 3/4 appearances ?  Defense doesn’t matter indeed.

I am a fan of strong defenses, 13-10 hard fought football games when every first down must be earned.

It can be a matter of schemes, lack of pre season, lack of audience, referee calls, but this year I see offenses having a stronger will and passion and hustle than defenses.

I see a lot of miracoulous contested catches, running backs breaking incredible tackles, qbs escaping the pressure and delivering at the very last instant...

It seems that iconic defensive players bringing the HEAT on the football field are gone, I am thinking of players like Troy Polamalu, Ray Lewis...

I don't know if others share the same thoughts.