Gabe Davis isn't playing like a rookie

He’s making plays when asked, but let’s pump the brakes on his greatness. He’s wr4 and teams are more focused on stopping 1-3 so Davis should be open more. I haven’t done the rewind but I doubt he’s facing the top corners on some of these sets. 
It’s a pleasant surprise and a fantastic way to groom a rookie so I hope people don’t take it as a negative. If/when the time comes that  he’s needed in a bigger role and faces the top defenders he should be ready to roll. But jeudy and Jefferson are facing the starting corners and sometimes double coverages. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

He’s making plays when asked, but let’s pump the brakes on his greatness. He’s wr4 and teams are more focused on stopping 1-3 so Davis should be open more. I haven’t done the rewind but I doubt he’s facing the top corners on some of these sets. 
It’s a pleasant surprise and a fantastic way to groom a rookie so I hope people don’t take it as a negative. If/when the time comes that  he’s needed in a bigger role and faces the top defenders he should be ready to roll. But jeudy and Jefferson are facing the starting corners and sometimes double coverages. 

It's not so much that he is getting open. To me, its the body control, hands, toe-drag, size, etc. We have not seen that for awhile here. 

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I really didn't expect this kind of production from him this season.  I thought he would be pretty quiet this year and benefit from studying at Wide Receiver University behind Diggs, Brown, and Beasley learning what it takes to be a solid NFL WR.  He is making key plays every time his number is called.  He doesn't get many targets but he takes advantage of every single one and has been hauling in passes that move the sticks and score TDs.

Through four games he has 8 targets and 8 receptions.  For those of you without an abacus handy, that's a 100% catch rate.  Two of those catches were TDs.  He's on pace for 8 TDs this year, his rookie year, as the team's WR4.  He was averaging an incredible 14.7 yards per reception coming into the Raiders' game and that average will go up with his 26 yard TD reception today.  A critical play that won't show up on his stats was the route at the end of the Rams game that he drew the flag on.  Being aggressive and running the route as hard as he could helped win that game for us.  

The big takeaway from me is that the NFL game just doesn't seem too big for him. I think Beane and his scouts really found a late round gem in Davis. He was the 17th WR selected in this year's draft.  Crazy.  I hope Beane can find the money to keep John Brown after this year.  I'd hate to take any weapon away from this offense the way it is clicking right now,  but if Brown does move on, I think Gabe is showing that he has the chops to step up and become a legit WR2 with upside in this League.

The kid has to be feeling pretty dang good about getting picked by Buffalo, right?

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

he played WR2 vs Rams with smoke hurt. Also spelled Beasley. Not bad for an unheralded rook

8 hours ago, cage said:

If you go back to the draft Embedded video they put out, its especially great hearing Beane talk about him at the scouting combine (4:10) and hoping that he doesn't run too fast of a time  in the 40 making his draft stock go up.  He knew he wanted to grab him even before the combine

Seems like good teams know who their dudes are before the combine. Then it’s just a matter of checking boxes. 

5 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

Jeudy: 15 rec., 234 yards, 1 TD.

Lamb: 21 rec., 309 yards, 2 TDs.

Jefferson: 16 rec., 348 yards, 1 TD.

You BETTER have those numbers as a first-round pick. 

Yes, we should temper ourselves, but David definitely has some serious chops for a fourth-rounder. His hands sometimes seem like the size of baseball mitt when he brings the ball down.

I know that Watkins & Evans were solid contributors pretty much right away as rookies, but Davis seems different.  Mostly in that he doesn't have to be the man right away and is also contributing with blocking, solid route running, and complementing the top 3 guys.  But you can definitely see a complete #1 receiver for us in the future

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I really didn't expect this kind of production from him this season. 

Our OC Diabolical comes from Billicheat coaching tree.  He found a way to get another player with experience to change his name and the real Gabe was paid off by Pegulas to take a paid vacation out of the country.

Do we have the best 3/4 WR sets in the NFL??

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

How would he face the top CB with Diggs on the field??

6 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

Stop it.

Jefferson has two 100 yard games. Jeudy is averaging over 50 yards a game. Lamb put up a two TD performance.

Jeudy: 15 rec., 234 yards, 1 TD. - Primary WR

Lamb: 21 rec., 309 yards, 2 TDs. - WR2 (likely WR1) - reason they gave him 88

Jefferson: 16 rec., 348 yards, 1 TD. - WR2

Davis: 8 rec., 129 yards, 2 TDs. - WR4

I think Jerry Jeudy has been the most impressive, given his QB situation and the fact that he's the only good WR on his team.

I do love Davis though...and I'd obviously take Diggs and Davis over any one of those three I listed above.

So as a WR4, he is already making impacts (big impacts with MIA and Raiders).  That is what you want from him when you have the likes of Diggs, Brown and Bease in front of him.  There is NOTHING I have seen from Davis that if given the Targets the 3 you mentioned he would not perform at the level or above of the 3 you mentioned and 2-3 rounds lower.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Seems like good teams know who their dudes are before the combine. Then it’s just a matter of checking boxes. 

Thats how it should be...   Your Board should be set on tape with the Combine moving players maybe around a little bit after the workouts and interviews.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

he played WR2 vs Rams with smoke hurt. Also spelled Beasley. Not bad for an unheralded rook

No not bad at all, but also wasn’t gameplanned for. I don’t want to take away from him, he’s made plays when asked to and many rookies or even vets cannot do that. I just don’t want to put expectations too high compared to the other rookies 

33 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How would he face the top CB with Diggs on the field??

Diggs isn’t on the field every snap. The point was Jeudy is facing CB1 or 2 virtually every snap as is Jefferson. Davis doesn’t have to face that kind of talent every snap. It’s not a knock on him, for all we know he can line up with Jalen Ramsey and win his routes.