Horse collar tackle in the pocket not a penalty???? And Mike Pereira

Billsfan1972

The point is it a penalty because it is a dangerous play.

Please tell me the announcers made up that comment?   

Also thank you Mike Pereira for telling them that final PI call was correct, where again the announcers tried to convince fans it was the wrong call!!!

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 4

I had to look this one up, because it makes no sense to me that a defender is allowed to horse collar a QB if they are in the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/horse-collar/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grab the,who is in the pocket.

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

They got it right. No idea why the rule is written that way

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yes you can....  But the point is it is a dangerous play....

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Also thank you Mike Pereira for telling them that final PI call was correct, where again the announcers tried to convince fans it was the wrong call!!!

by the book yes, usually that slides late in the game. It was marginal- I take the make up call for the crappy int call

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I had to look this one up, because it makes no sense to me that a defender is allowed to horse collar a QB if they are in the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/horse-collar/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grab the,who is in the pocket.

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, or grab the jersey at the name plate or above, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

They got it right. No idea why the rule is written that way

Because its the NFL who make up dumb rules that defy reason in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes you can....  But the point is it is a dangerous play....

Its really only dangerous if a guy is sprinting with full strides; that's when you can end up cranking backwards on your knee.

Defenders were even starting to use it as a strategy to hurt skill players when they didn't have to; thats why it got outlawed

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So what do you guys think about the PI? I’m arguing with folks that it indeed was and they saying it was BS! 

7 minutes ago, Maynard said:

So what do you guys think about the PI? I’m arguing with folks that it indeed was and they saying it was BS! 

I think it's hilarious that the side judge that called the last PI is also the guy who blew the initial call on the INT they didn't overturn. (I think it was him and not the back judge)

I can't help but wonder if he was looking for a place to even things up.....

• Like (+1) 5

I'm fine with it. It's the rule.

What I'm not fine with is when they DON'T call the game according to the rules. Like the "INT".

6 minutes ago, Maynard said:

At least that one was close. You see the officials letting that go a lot, but you could totally call it. He was engaged with the WR more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

The INT was just abysmal officiating.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That is correct. The Steelers suggested changing the rule, but the rest of the NFL did not agree. So cannot call horse collar on a RB in the tackle box or a QB in the pocket.

That was the correct no call.

Edit: That was responding to the no horse collar call

Edited by IgotBILLStopay