Lieutenant Aldo Raine

Lack of RB Production is limiting this Team

7 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It has now been 37 games since the start of the 2018 season, and we have a grand total of 8 rushing TDs by our RBs (4 in 2018, 4 in 2019, and 0 so far in 2020).  That is slightly less than 1 for every 4 games (1:4) and to me that is unsatisfactory, even if the QB averages 1 every two games (1:2).   Hopefully Moss can help with that, but the lack of RB production is really holding this team back to a certain degree in my opinion.  Additionally, TDs withstanding, do opposing defenses really fear our running game?  This kind of goes back to some poster's thoughts on constantly running RPOs instead of some more designed leads, counters, etc.  I think Dabol really needs to figure this out.  Thoughts?

Rewatched the game. Other than the obvious (we have two of the slowest RB's in the league) it didn't look like the line gave them any place to go. Even in Allen's runs, he would have gone down a couple of times if he wasn't as strong as a horse. Give these two a little space and their above average elusiveness will be more than adequate, despite the lack of breakaway speed. Is it the play calling or bad line play ----. or did the Jets just do an exceptional job in the middle of the line  We're about to find out. Go Bills !!

I don't know about you guys but I'd rather have a pro bowl RB than make the playoffs. 

• Haha (+1) 3

I wrote a post about this - I think a big problem is the OL.  They seem to be much better at pass protection than run blocking,  they just don’t seem to move the defensive front.  

As much as we loved to hate on Gore, who was obviously slow, he was getting pounded before he crossed the LOS.  

The majority of the big running plays for Buffalo came off tackle.  Players like Mitch Morse and Quinton Spain aren’t great run blockers.  Probably the same with Feliciano.  It will be interesting to see if Ford, who is a good run blocker, will make any difference.

I don’t think the problem is the RB’s maybe they don’t have the speed to break off long runs.  But the rushing numbers should be better with backs like Devin and Moss.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I already told you I meant Bell and not McCoy.  

There are plenty of RB's with Singletary and Moss's speed that have broken big runs.  

Jeremy Hill was a slower RB and had an 85 yard TD run.  He was a 4.63 forty.

Leveon Bell is a slower RB and had an 81 yard TD run.  He was a 4.6 forty.

Yes it's only one game and last year Motor averaged 5.1 ypc and you've forgotten that because we didn't draft Dobbins.

You are the only one who keeps bringing up Dobbins.

And you are missing the point. Never once did I say Singletary/Moss CANT break one. My point is it's not likely given their lack of speed on the field. 

Simple question, who has a better chance to break a big run, a fast RB with good vision or a slow RB with good vision? 

I will say they definitely don’t have breakaway speed at RB.  Also, a mobile qb should be helping open things up for the run game.  

I think it is a solid, if unspectacular, duo.  But they badly need a homerun threat.

43 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Holy specious reasoning, @Lieutenant Aldo Raine!

Lets compare the #1 scoring offense last year to the Bills who were bottom feeders as evidence that we need better running backs.   More trips to the red zone = more touchdowns.  The Ravens had the most red zone possessions per game in 2019.  Is anyone surprised that they punched in a bunch of rushing TDs?  Its almost like...wait for it....the two are related!

I've already demonstrated multiple times in this thread that the Bills running game was more than adequate.  Even a cursory glance at the stats will show you our passing game sucked.  

You really want more rushing TDs???   Develop a real passing attack and move the ball between the 20s.  

Perhaps if the RBs could produce more in the redzone, we might average more than 19 pts per game.  If you think averaging 1 rushing TD per every four games by our RBs is adequate and cannot be improved upon; that's your opinion and I disagree with it.  It's okay; I can handle you disagreeing with me.  

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Perhaps if the RBs could produce more in the redzone, we might average more than 19 pts per game.  If you think averaging 1 rushing TD per every four games by our RBs is adequate and cannot be improved upon; that's your opinion and I disagree with it.  It's okay; I can handle you disagreeing with me.  

Allen is our goal line back.  It’s like Cam. 

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nope.

A back who could potentially take it to the house on every touch would be a perfect compliment to Singletary.

Okay Scott why did we draft Moss then?  It sounds like you believe you know who fits our RPO system over McBeane and Daboll.  Not only did they draft a RB they doesn't fit our RPO system, but passed on a guy who would be a perfect compliment.  Why didn't they want a perfect compliment for Singletary and draft a guy who doesn't fit our style?  Riddle me this.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay Scott why did we draft Moss then?  It sounds like you believe you know who fits our RPO system over McBeane and Daboll.  Not only did they draft a RB they doesn't fit our RPO system, but passed on a guy who would be a perfect compliment.  Why didn't they want a perfect compliment for Singletary and draft a guy who doesn't fit our style?  Riddle me this.

They clearly prefer bruising backs ala Mike Tolbert.

It's just my opinion that a back with some speed to spell Singletary would be a nice change of pace and give the offense another dynamic out of the back field. This ***** is football not rocket science.

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

How much better could be we be if the RBs produced more; that's my point?

The game plan was to throw, in part because the Jets have a weak secondary and a strong run defense. It's one game, jesus. If not for fumbles, we put up 40.

33 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You are the only one who keeps bringing up Dobbins.

And you are missing the point. Never once did I say Singletary/Moss CANT break one. My point is it's not likely given their lack of speed on the field. 

Simple question, who has a better chance to break a big run, a fast RB with good vision or a slow RB with good vision? 

Don't try to skirt it Scott...you've complained about not drafting Dobbins multiple times.  That's why I'm bringing him up in this conversation.

You know what else isn't a given?  Breaking big runs to the house.  How many times does it happen in a season with a good RB?  1?  Maybe 2?

I want the better running back who can consistently get above 4 ypc and help move the chains.  

Did you really just ask me a question with one option having 2 positives and the other having 1 positive and 1 negative?

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They clearly prefer bruising backs ala Mike Tolbert.

It's just my opinion that a back with some speed to spell Singletary would be a nice change of pace and give the offense another dynamic out of the back field. This ***** is football not rocket science.

Well maybe, just maybe, that fits the style they are looking for where they CLEARLY keep bringing in guys like that?

I Dunno GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

The game plan was to throw, in part because the Jets have a weak secondary and a strong run defense. It's one game, jesus. If not for fumbles, we put up 40.

Dude, for the 100th time, I’m not focusing on Sunday; read the original post for context.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I agree, but even Cam got good production from Stewart, Williams, and eventually McAffrey.  

The Panthers were completely one dimensional last year because McCaffrey became the offensive crutch. 

Their QB used him as a dump off option constantly and he dominated touches. Everyone else stagnated offensively. They stopped trying to push the ball down the field. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Dude, for the 100th time, I’m not focusing on Sunday; read the original post for context.

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You should focus on Sunday, because the last few seasons are irrelevant to this years team.

• Like (+1) 1

don't think so. we were fine running the ball last season. we just need to work on short yardage plays. 

throwing the football is where we are bottom of the league almost every single season, that needs to change 

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

You should focus on Sunday, because the last few seasons are irrelevant to this years team.

I’ll be sure to revisit this after this year to see if we have improved, but the I believe the point of the thread is valid and merits discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I think that number is low because of Allen. 18 rushing touchdowns to this point of his career. If you add those into the totals, it looks stronger. 

Problem is it’s always Allen doing the dirty work.. I can stomach that some of the time but not all of the time.

Lack of big running plays has a lot to do with the fact we haven't had a consistent passing game the last 2 years.  If you are stacking the box and daring a Qb to throw to beat you, unless that Qb beats you, your defense will close up most of the running lanes in a hurry.

Open up the passing game, where it becomes respectable, and defenses will no longer be able cheat down in the box.  Not being able to cheat is going to naturally free up space in which a Rb can be much more shifty, meet more 1 on 1 opportunities, and produce explosive runs.

We all know where our passing offense ranked the last two years....if we can move into middle of the pack I believe we will start seeing a lot more big runs be ripped off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't try to skirt it Scott...you've complained about not drafting Dobbins multiple times.  That's why I'm bringing him up in this conversation.

You know what else isn't a given?  Breaking big runs to the house.  How many times does it happen in a season with a good RB?  1?  Maybe 2?

I want the better running back who can consistently get above 4 ypc and help move the chains.  

Did you really just ask me a question with one option having 2 positives and the other having 1 positive and 1 negative?

I certainly preferred Dobbins to Moss. 

Moss looked slow to hit the hole on Sunday. 1 maybe 2? I guess you missed Derrick Henry last season.😅