Jump to content
stevestojan

No excuse for Bass

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

Likewise.

Did I invent details from the broadcast to suit my position?  You see a ball clearly going between the uprights in that video and picture?  You believe the angle we have is better than the view of the official which was right underneath the upright?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

put laser sensors on top of the posts.. add LEDs on the goalposts themselves that light up green or red for a miss/make... WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pi2000 said:

put laser sensors on top of the posts.. add LEDs on the goalposts themselves that light up green or red for a miss/make... WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!

 

Trying to put some people out of jobs?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In any case - was this an odd week in kicking in general?  Kickers were 42/58 on the day (72%), with 4 total misses under 40... 7 if you count the 3 missed XPs on the day as well.  

 

Not sure if it was a lack of preseason or what but it seemed like kickers missed a lot of kicks yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Reality is Bass was 2 for 3 IMO, so not freaking out personally.  In my eyes, the first FG was good and was a mistake by the refs and not challengeable.  

 

Stat sheet says 1-3 though, so I get the concern.  

 

Rookie.  No Preseason.  First ever kicking in the NFL.  Important divisional game.

 

Conclusion, I am not yet worried.  This was essentially like his first preseason game.  At the end of the day, as long as the kid doesn't lose us games in the next few games, I am willing to let him kick through any early initial struggles.  If he hasn't worked it out over the next 3 or 4 games to be reliable, then I start looking at a free agent kicker to hold the job down while the kid develops more.  

 

However, if we lose a game because he isn't reliable and his misses cost us a win, I start looking for that vet immediately.  We can't afford close losses this year, we got a tough overall schedule, especially down the stretch.  And we can not over look NE as still a threat to push for the division title right now.  So we need to make sure we win the games we are supposed to win and those close games where we have the opportunity to win.  

Actually reality is that he was 2 for 4.  He may have been 3 for 4 and he made 3 XPs that are 35 yard FGs these days so he was 5 for 7 on the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading these impatient comments.... I'm so glad professionals run the Bills, not some trigger happy fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is what you have to live with when you go with rookie kickers. 

 

You have to eat the inconsistency early to get to a place where they are reliable. 

 

He was pushing everything right. 

 

But yet his PATS were right down the middle.

 

 

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

 

Exactly without depth perception you can't tell.  You can't say it was no good either. Though the ref can and from looking straight up he called it out.

 

 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

 

I went through the uprights.  

 

Really, how can you  determine depth perception?

 

If you can tell me that kick was in, please tell me the lottery numbers for Tuesday.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McDermott has no problem with Bass 

 

 

if it’s good enough for Coach it’s good enough for me 

 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Browns cut their kicker— was a fifth rounder last year. He actually was pretty decent last year.

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29885830/browns-boot-kicker-austin-seibert-cody-parkey-source-says

 


 

I said as much earlier 

 

lose by 30 points and fire the kicker. 
 

So Brownsie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

McDermott has no problem with Bass 

 

 

if it’s good enough for Coach it’s good enough for me 

 


 

I said as much earlier 

 

lose by 30 points and fire the kicker. 
 

So Brownsie 


haha— yeah, really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Did I invent details from the broadcast to suit my position?  You see a ball clearly going between the uprights in that video and picture?  You believe the angle we have is better than the view of the official which was right underneath the upright?  

 

I once saw not one but two officials claim that a guy not only caught a ball past the first down marker, but in-bounds, so forgive me if I don't believe one official that suits your position.  Especially when I saw the ball sneak through the uprights, McDermott was yelling at the refs to review the play because he saw the same thing, and the announcing crew replayed the kick well after it happened and they and their guest ref analyst agreed it was a good FG.

 

We'll agree to disagree and hope that Bass makes it less able for the refs to decide things.

Edited by Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, stevestojan said:

Rookie? Yes. 
One of his kicks might have been good? Sure. 
 

Thank god we have the Dolphins next week. If he misses one next week, he has to go. 
 

There was no reason to draft this kid if this is what he does under pressure. 
 

 

You're full of stevestojan!😀 For the newer posters here,  he didn't like that the swear filter  substitutied poop for the s- word, so Scott (SDS) made it  his name for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

I once saw not one but two officials claim that a guy not only caught a ball past the first down marker, but in-bounds, so forgive me if I don't believe one official that suits your position.  Especially when I saw the ball sneak through the uprights, McDermott was yelling at the refs to review the play because he saw the same thing, and the announcing crew replayed the kick well after it happened and they and their guest ref analyst agreed it was a good FG.

 

3 kicks were identical--to the right.  only 1 was good, others missed.  You're hallucinating--It didn't sneak through the uprights at all--it obviously went over the uprights, so McD should have known it was not reviewable

 

 

These were 38 and 34 yard kicks.  Even his 22 yarder barely made it inside the R pole.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

We do not have to be patient nor should we be.  This is a team built to take the division, host a playoff game, and make a run.  There is no room for a kicker we can't count on.  Kicks inside 50 yards need to be nearly automatic at the NFL level.  If he costs us a game, hes gone.  

This. Really hope they don't wait for him to cost them a game. 

 

If he cotinues to be erratic, specifically from short range a solid soon as next week, I don't see how you can justify holding on to him. 

Edited by ScottLaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. WEO said:

3 kicks were identical--to the right.  only 1 was good, others missed.

 

These were 38 and 34 yard kicks.  Even his 22 yarder barely made it inside the R pole.  

 

No doubt his kicks were being pushed to the right and the 2nd was a clear miss.  He's got some work to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

No doubt his kicks were being pushed to the right and the 2nd was a clear miss.  He's got some work to do.

 

This is how they bought him.  71% his last year in college.

 

Hauschka was 82/84 from that range past 9 years

Edited by Mr. WEO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is how they bought him.  71% his last year in college.

 

Let's give him more than just 1 game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea if the wind effected the many kicks that went right.  He lives another day.  
 

Let’s see what he does for a few games before we rush to judgement.  Gary Anderson, one of the all time great kickers, was cut as a drafted rookie by Chuck Knox because he missed every FG in preseason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 5:12 PM, stevestojan said:

Rookie? Yes. 
One of his kicks might have been good? Sure. 
 

Thank god we have the Dolphins next week. If he misses one next week, he has to go. 
 

There was no reason to draft this kid if this is what he does under pressure. 
 

 

Dude freaking relax.  Guy was pumped first NFL game first kick was good missed 1 of 4.  Relax 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doc said:

 

Let's give him more than just 1 game.

 

Got not choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...