stevestojan

No excuse for Bass

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Got not choice.

Sure there are choices.  They could always go back to Hauscka and get a guy who missed from 30 yards last year against the Browns that might have changed the outcome, and who can't kickoff.  There are also other kickers who couldn't latch-on with other teams. 

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

We do not have to be patient nor should we be.  This is a team built to take the division, host a playoff game, and make a run.  There is no room for a kicker we can't count on.  Kicks inside 50 yards need to be nearly automatic at the NFL level.  If he costs us a game, hes gone.  

I get your point but there is not a line of all pro kickers sitting in the unemployment line.  We were not patient with Dustin Hopkins.  Do we get rid of a QB when they cost you a game or a running back who fumbles or a RT who gives up some sacks in his first game?

He made 2 of 4 but let's face it, the first was a blown call. 

Wet surface? Bad hold? Maybe.

My only concern is if he's inaccurate in a empty home stadium what's he gonna do when he gets iced in a loud fan frenzied environment on the road?

Speaking of ST's, I thought Bojo's 1 punt was great!

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I get your point but there is not a line of all pro kickers sitting in the unemployment line.  We were not patient with Dustin Hopkins.  Do we get rid of a QB when they cost you a game or a running back who fumbles or a RT who gives up some sacks in his first game?

Really? Your comparing a kicker to a QB? 

Edited by ScottLaw

Hes a rookie.  He is going to miss some easy ones

Hauscka missed some easy on too.  Get him some confidence and see if he can make some long ones.

Edited by Mat68

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sure there are choices.  They could always go back to Hauscka and get a guy who missed from 30 yards last year against the Browns that might have changed the outcome, and who can't kickoff.  There are also other kickers who couldn't latch-on with other teams. 

Hauschka made 22/23 kicks from 20-49 yards last season.  The Bills Offense was anemic in the Browns game 

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Wasn’t that his only kick he missed last year  inside of 50 yards? 

Bass missed two chip shots in his first game...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hauschka made 22/23 kicks from 20-49 yards last season.  The Bills Offense was anemic in the Browns game 

So because the offense was anemic, that excuses Hauschka from missing a kick you demand that Bass make? 

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Trying to put some people out of jobs?!

No, I'm creating jobs for folks to install the sensors and maintain the system.   You still need refs for other stuff.

I was hoping they would keep 2 kickers Haus$ and Bass  (like they did with Gay). Let Bass develop but don't lose games if he can't make the short ones.
This is assuming Haus$ hadn't dropped off significantly this year.
I don't get all the Hopkins kudos - he's good but has missed a lot of game winners.

Nice Bass.jpg

Edited by Uncle Joe

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

So because the offense was anemic, that excuses Hauschka from missing a kick you demand that Bass make? 

Nothing excuses a short kick miss.  Hauschka missed 2 in that range (and longer) all year.  Bass missed as many in his first game.  

This isn't even hard doc.

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really? Your comparing a kicker to a QB? 

Yes I guess I am.  For the purposes of deciding to waive a guy after one week I think its just fine.

He pushed his kicks a little.  Don’t know how many here play golf, but it’s similar to a guy rushing the downswing.  Your hands can’t catch up and you hit a push.  He can fix this easily enough.  But if it gets in his head and becomes a mental thing it could be a problem.

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nothing excuses a short kick miss.  Hauschka missed 2 in that range (and longer) all year.  Bass missed as many in his first game.  

This isn't even hard doc.

No he missed one.  And it's just one game. 

This isn't hard WEO.  Save it for the time it costs them a game, like Hauschka's likely did.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

No he missed one.  And it's just one game. 

This isn't hard WEO.  Save it for the time it costs them a game, like Hauschka's likely did.

They didn't keep him to miss chips shot FGs.

And yes, missing 1 (of 2 all year up to 50 yards) FG from that range "cost" them the game against the mighty Browns.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They didn't keep him to miss chips shot FGs.

And yes, missing 1 (of 2 all year up to 50 yards) FG from that range "cost" them the game against the mighty Browns.

It was 1.  And like Hauschka, it was just 1 game.  Unlike Hauschka, there's no doubt the miss meant nothing.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

It was 1.  And like Hauschka, it was just 1 game.  Unlike Hauschka, there's no doubt the miss meant nothing.

It was 2, despite what you imagine you saw ("Especially when I saw the ball sneak through the uprights") 

Edited by Mr. WEO

Easy, junior. He'll be alright. They knew they were rolling the dice on a rookie kicker without the benefit of pre-season. I'm sure they're aware that they're going to have to live with the occasional miss on a kick that should be good. Kicking ain't easy. Let the kid settle in and get some games under his belt before you go chasing him out of town. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It was 2, despite what you imagine you saw ("Especially when I saw the ball sneak through the uprights")

It wasn't just me.  But keep pining for Hauschka. 

• Like (+1) 1