stevestojan

No excuse for Bass

looks like the Bills should have opted for the seasoned, long time vet kicker instead of the rookie.

someone like Gostkowski was available

• Haha (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Funny how people bring up the Browns miss for Hauschka considering it was his first miss from 30-39 in 7 years.  Hauschka missed only 4 from that distance in 12 years.  Bass is half way there in only his first game.  Hauschka also went 4/4 in the Playoff game including hitting from 47 with 5 seconds left.  You feel confident in having Bass do that?

Based on one game - no.  The question is how will he develop and perform by year end.  

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

Based on one game - no.  The question is how will he develop and perform by year end.  

I wasn't that worried until I saw his college stats.  20-28 his senior year is pretty lousy.  We'll see I guess. 

28 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I wasn't that worried until I saw his college stats.  20-28 his senior year is pretty lousy.  We'll see I guess. 

Yea I'm still wondering why the Bills liked him enough to draft him considering his numbers.

Because he's got a big leg? Big deal if he can't hit the ones he should. 

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

Not for nuthin...

Fans always wring there hands and love when opponents have to come to Buffalo and play in OUR WEATHER.

Funny, because none of the Buffalo Bills players are actually FROM Buffalo.

One of the elements of our WEATHER is WIND - Swirling WIND.

Perhaps we could could give young Bass just a little time to become familiar with our Buffalo weather.

I have heard it spoke about that Hauschka was good in Buffalo because his kicks were low and thus not as effected by the winds in New Era Field.

Young Bass does not have such a low trajectory. Give the kid a little time before we run him out of town.

BassMissedKick.jpg

He's going to get time.... I just hope they don't stick with him too long to the point where he blows them a game in a year with the difficulty of the schedule where the Bills can't afford to just give games away. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, spartacus said:

looks like the Bills should have opted for the seasoned, long time vet kicker instead of the rookie.

someone like Gostkowski was available

Gostowski missed 3 field goals and an extra point last night.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29889545/tennessee-titans-stephen-gostkowski-redeemed-25-yard-winner-4-misses

13 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Would anyone  trade a first for Justin Tucker? He has been the best in the league for years now. 

13 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Would anyone  trade a first for Justin Tucker? He has been the best in the league for years now. 

I mean it’s a kicker but why would the Ravens do that?  Plus that trade would melt brains.

and I can’t believe how bad kicking was.  It’s crazy there aren’t 32 guys who can’t be really good at the job. Bass gets a pass because it’s a win and first game of his career.  But his leash has to be short. Too important to mess around with. 

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean it’s a kicker but why would the Ravens do that?  Plus that trade would melt brains.

and I can’t believe how bad kicking was.  It’s crazy there aren’t 32 guys who can’t be really good at the job. Bass gets a pass because it’s a win and first game of his career.  But his leash has to be short. Too important to mess around with. 

You make a great point, with all the athletes in the world, why can't there be 32 pretty decent kickers? 

Do we overvalue to pressure of fans on kickers? No fans and kickers had a really rough weekend. Maybe that noise and pressure actually helps. No preseason, maybe they needed the extra kicks in real game format. It was ugly across the league. 

Didn't the Seahawks have an extra Kicker we could've signed ?

We've done pretty well signing off that team, Hauschka and Lindell.

59 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Every team whose kicker missed a kick should have him on a short leash.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Every team whose kicker missed a kick should have him on a short leash.

Agreed.  It sucks because it seems like a terrible way to build up confidence for a young guy but I guess that’s the job.

i can’t believe how bad Steven Gostowski is now.  He was like one of the best ever and he is awful.  

such a crazy, important job. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed.  It sucks because it seems like a terrible way to build up confidence for a young guy but I guess that’s the job.

i can’t believe how bad Steven Gostowski is now.  He was like one of the best ever and he is awful.  

such a crazy, important job. 

The problem is that there aren't a lot of option and you're basically just recycling kickers who were cut elsewhere.

47 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Didn't the Seahawks have an extra Kicker we could've signed ?

We've done pretty well signing off that team, Hauschka and Lindell.

I am not willing to be part of the Blair Walsh Project.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Does anyone have stats/data on how rookie kickers perform in their first season, versus how they perform the rest of their career?

I keep hearing about "first game jitters" and just to give Tyler Bass time to get acclimated into the NFL.

I would be curious if that is a legit excuse, based on other successful kickers around the league.

To me, kicking is kicking.  If he was successful in college, he should be find in the pros.

I think he was 20 for 28 last season in college.   

Beane liked his power and he matched Haus in camp for kicks made vs missed.

Damn, tough crowd! The kid gave us 9 points and had 3 more stolen from the officials.

Lighten up, folks.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Damn, tough crowd! The kid gave us 9 points and had 3 more stolen from the officials.

Lighten up, folks.

The kid was seriously 5-7 last week 🤷🏻

On 9/15/2020 at 7:20 AM, Rc2catch said:

Do we overvalue to pressure of fans on kickers? No fans and kickers had a really rough weekend. Maybe that noise and pressure actually helps. No preseason, maybe they needed the extra kicks in real game format. It was ugly across the league. 

All kickers looked bad week 1. If Bass continues to miss kicks, Beane will start looking. 

On 9/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, Da webster guy said:

I think he was 20 for 28 last season in college.   

Beane liked his power and he matched Haus in camp for kicks made vs missed.

71% will get you cut. So he better have an accurate deep game or eventually he'll be gone. Kickers in the NFL who were under 75% were the bottom 2-3 kickers in the league.  House$ was 78% over his last 2 years and he got cut. If Bass doesn't hit 80% of his kicks, his leg won't justify the misses. Especially if one loses a game.