My state is burning to the ground.

Logic

12 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Stay safe and if you even feel the slightest hint of danger coming, get the hell out. Fires don't care and they move fast.

Indeed. My brother-in-law has relatives who lost their house and virtually all their possessions to the CA wildfires a few weeks ago. They just happened to be away from home for the day when it happened, pretty much without warning. Had they been home, it's possible that they wouldn't have made it out.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I've been dealing with the smoke in the Willamette Valley since Tuesday. The east wind has changed and has started to blow the smoke towards Portland and Bend.
Still smokey here and I can't wait for the rain to arrive.
The sports bar where I watch some Bills games on the coast survived. Some of the neighboring communities were not so lucky.

I'm not belittling your dangerous situation at all. I'm curious if the smoke is bad enough to taint the Pinot there for 2020.......

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Indeed. My brother-in-law has relatives who lost their house and virtually all their possessions to the CA wildfires a few weeks ago. They just happened to be away from home for the day when it happened, pretty much without warning. Had they been home, it's possible that they wouldn't have made it out.

That's a blessing. 

My uncle lives in Sebastopol and had his catering business burn down twice. So he retired and took the insurance money.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm not belittling your dangerous situation at all. I'm curious if the smoke is bad enough to taint the Pinot there for 2020.......

I'm not a wine connoisseur but there has been a some info going around about particle matter in the ash - enough to make me wonder about eating some of the vegetables in my backyard.

Edited by Uncle Joe
BTW - I'm in a safe place

If any of you want to take a deeper dive into fires, I highly recommend reading "The Big Burn" and "Smokejumper". Both are excellent.

Anyway, the scale of these fires in CA, OR and WA is harrowing. These are 350,000+ acre complex fires (for reference, Rocky Mtn NP is about 260K acres, Grand Teton is about 300K) with massive active lines.

La Nina winter needs to kick in pronto.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It really is unbelievable what’s happening there! Even with the annual Santa Ana winds and dry forestry. We’re all watching in horror. 

Please! No more Baby Reveal parties with fireworks!

Best wishes!

I'm not quite saying those people deserve to be lined up and shot......but I'm pretty close.

Actually I was already pretty close just by virtue of the fact they had a 'gender reveal party'.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Thanks sincerely to the well wishers.

As to the few of you who came in to push some sort of political narrative....That's pretty damned insensitive, in my opinion.

I purposely posted this thread here rather than in PPP because political discussion wasn’t really the point. It’s hard to be motivated to do a political deep dive on this topic when 10% of my state’s residents have been displaced and the ashes of dead trees and animals are raining down in my front yard and I can’t step foot outside and people are dying and I can’t breathe well.

For some, it may be an abstract topic to discuss dispassionately. For me, it’s sad and dangerous and ***** scary. 

Im not the forum police. Discuss what you want, how you want. Please at least consider being respectful and humane, and remember that people’s homes and lives are at stake and are more than just fodder for whatever political point you want to make. 

Not to downplay the crisis but I thought that number was high (10%=500.000):
But Oregon’s governor on Friday afternoon clarified that only about 40,000 Oregonians had been evacuated, with 500,000 total under some sort of notice to evacuate or to prepare for evacuation.
Hopefully the Clackamas county fire doesn't get too much worse.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I’m stuck indoors right now to avoid smoke Inhalation, because the air quality in Portland right now is the worst of any city in the world, due to the raging wildfires through the state.

HALF A MILLION acres of Oregon are burning right now. Tens of thousands of people have been displaced. Towns surrounding mine are evacuating as we speak.

The entire west coast is on fire.

My living room smells like a campfire, even with the windows closed. The sky is a strange, orange color. Ash is raining from the sky like snowflakes. Everything but grocery stores and doctors is closed.

2020 just keeps on coming, man. What a time to be alive.

God bless man, stay safe. I have no experience at all but it has to be a very difficult thing to go through.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Kia Kaha, brother.  (Stay strong)

How are things in the Columbia River Gorge? Are there fires up there too?

I used to live there in a former life, and spent a lot of time hiking those trails. 

The Pacific Northwest is such a beautiful place. 

Edited by Bad Things
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Is Buffalonians have taken so much grief over the years for snow. Seeing these stories each year and any hurricane coverage, I’ll take snow all day. 

And tornadoes, and floods, and weeks of temps over 100 degrees. I'll take some moderately hot summers and snow 100% of the time.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

It really is unbelievable what’s happening there! Even with the annual Santa Ana winds and dry forestry. We’re all watching in horror. 

Please! No more Baby Reveal parties with fireworks!

Best wishes!

if there's a silver lining in all this, we can only hope to get rid of the who gender reveal  nonsense. Let's be honest, these things are nothing but self grandeur. Aside from immediate family no one really gives a hoot.....also Logic, I wish you the best. The world is a mess and here's one more turd on the ***** sandwich 🥪 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

I used to live there in a former life, and spent a lot of time hiking those trails. 

The Columbia Gorge fire was 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Creek_Fire
Currently Estacada, Molalla and parts of Colton near Portland are under level 3 evacuation.
The town of Detroit was burned down a few days ago.

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Things are okay there, as far as I know. Good thing, since it's just now starting to recover from the Eagle Creek Fires of a few years ago.

Thanks for the well wishes. 

21 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Like all things, there are many factors. The big three are climate change, population growth in WUIs and forest mismanagement.

Creating defensive space near development is absolutely necessary, but there are millions upon millions of acres of big woods in each western state that will never see a chainsaw or controlled burn.  The terrain is simply too rough, remote or locked up in wilderness areas, and I don't think the timber companies are lining up to take down beetle kill pine or juniper in the first place.  The forests will come back in time (see Yellowstone in 1988), even when it seems they have burned catastrophically (some species, like lodgepole pine, always go BIG when they burn).

What is happening in CA, OR and WA with entire towns getting destroyed is reminiscent of the Big Burn of 1910.

Looks like the Big 3 was evened off to the Big 4 if we are to include meth head arsonists.

• Like (+1) 1

Stay Safe. Heed the warnings. Welcome to the new "norm," which absolutely sucks. We had a wildfire (somehow) stop w/in two blocks from our house in 2017 (Tubbs Fire). At the time it was the most destructive fire in CA history. Unfortunately, it's been surpassed by others. We're still rebuilding here in Santa Rosa, 3 years later. These past few years have been horrendous and anxiety filled. I don't wish this upon anyone. No matter how these fires start...lightning, arson, utility companies...they're ruining lives. I absolutely love it here, but after our latest fire (w/in the last month...and fire season started early this year), I've seriously considered leaving. It's exhausting. 

• Thank you (+1) 1