WRs and TEs

CorkScrewHill

We have a perceived excess of good WRs and TEs ...instead of cutting or trading for nothing a younger WR .. why not trade Cole Beasley (same question could be asked about John Brown .. but I love the Josh - Smoke connection)? It would give us a better draft pick at least in theory and more cap room definitely. I would also love to see them unload Tyler Kroft. I am certain the board would have no issue with Kroft leaving, but what about Cole? Note: No disrespect to Cole .. I appreciate what he brings, but looking at it from a trade value / cost / productivity perspective I think we would be better making this type of move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bad idea. You don't trade your proven veterans, who are good football players, and want to be here to replace them with unproven players. Beasley and Brown are keys in this offense. You keep them for certain. Also, what kind of message would that send to a team on the rise with SB aspirations? It's just foolish all the way around. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Beasley is extremely important to Josh Allen.. he is a great possession receiver despite his size... he uses quickness to get open and provides Josh Allen with a reliable outlet in case Diggs and Brown can’t get open.. he’s good for 60-70 first downs every year... Now is the time to start providing Josh with as many weapons as possible... we’re in win now mode, not rebuild mode.. our Super Bowl window is now... if anything we should be trading for players....

• Like (+1) 1

I see one more year for Brown and two more for Beasley - check the amt of money the Bills are throwing to their WRs (its in the top 5) as a position and with the cap tightening to pay Tre, Josh, and Tremaine coming-up (Milano maybe-maybe not) and with some young WRs behind a true #1 in Diggs I can see them being phased-out mostly because we overpaid based on need last year and they are smallish

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I hear your idea.... what I don't hear is your rationale?

The rationale is we are only going to throw the ball x times .. and Diggs will get the most, and Brown and Knox will absorb a lot .. but we need to get time on the field for others (say Gabe Davis). I don't want to win this year. I want to win this year and next year and the year after. You do that by managing your payroll and constantly bringing in new players who can push the veterans at a cheaper price.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The rationale is we are only going to throw the ball x times .. and Diggs will get the most, and Brown and Knox will absorb a lot .. but we need to get time on the field for others (say Gabe Davis). I don't want to win this year. I want to win this year and next year and the year after. You do that by managing your payroll and constantly bringing in new players who can push the veterans at a cheaper price.

I don't think retaining Beasley for 2020 prevents the Bills winning in years to come.

15 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Beasley is extremely important to Josh Allen.. he is a great possession receiver despite his size... he uses quickness to get open and provides Josh Allen with a reliable outlet in case Diggs and Brown can’t get open.. he’s good for 60-70 first downs every year... Now is the time to start providing Josh with as many weapons as possible... we’re in win now mode, not rebuild mode.. our Super Bowl window is now... if anything we should be trading for players....

Just an FYI, Beasley has never had 60 first downs in his career.

He had 37 last year.

4 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Wait, the team needs to get more time on the field for a 4th round rookie over a veteran coming off his best season despite playing out of position?

That does not make any sense whatsoever.

1.  Cole Beasley is a unique weapon to our offense, since he excels from the slot.  

2.  Our rookie receivers haven't shown anything, except in practice yet.

3.  We need depth, due to possible injuries.

4.  Back-end guys like Duke Williams and Robert Foster disappointed in games much of last year.

5.  The Bills are ready to contend.  We don't need to be getting rid of valuable pieces of the team for draft picks.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Wait, the team needs to get more time on the field for a 4th round rookie over a veteran coming off his best season despite playing out of position?

That does not make any sense whatsoever.

And a 4th rounder who played almost entirely outside in college..... not sure taking Beasley off the field gets Gabe on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It's not all about targets and catches.  

It's about keeping pressure on the defense, and making it impossible for them to defend everybody.

Teams are going to have a very difficult time taking away John Brown deep down the sideline, Stephon Diggs up the seam, Cole Beasley over the middle.... and still managing to keep tabs on our RB, TE and scrambling QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And a 4th rounder who played almost entirely outside in college..... not sure taking Beasley off the field gets Gabe on the field.

Right.

I think folks just aren’t used to the idea of a passing offense and just how much opportunity there will be for the team’s playmakers.

An offense that attempts 500 passes (fewer than the 2019 Bills’ offense) can distribute targets as such:

Diggs - 120 (7-8 per game)

Smoke - 100 (6-7 per game)

Beasley - 80 (5 per game)

Knox - 70 (4-5 per game)

Devin - 50 (3 per game)

Davis - 40 (2-3 per game)

And that leaves another 40 targets for guys like Moss, McKenzie, etc to share.

You want this WR depth problem every year.  We have been a mess for years in this regard.

The TE room is a different story.  And if you want to lump 2 groups together it should be TEs and FBs.  Those positions are currently in flux.  I don't personally think Knox is the answer, but he will get his shot this year.  Please surprise me.  Guys like Kroft, Croom, Sweeney are a dime a dozen.  The front office needs to make a concerted effort next year to improve there, if Knox fails to grow this year.

For FBs - DiMarco will probably be let go soon (IR'd), leaving the position to an undrafted Gilliam.  Hope he can contribute on STs.

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

We have a perceived excess of good WRs and TEs ...instead of cutting or trading for nothing a younger WR .. why not trade Cole Beasley (same question could be asked about John Brown .. but I love the Josh - Smoke connection)? It would give us a better draft pick at least in theory and more cap room definitely. I would also love to see them unload Tyler Kroft. I am certain the board would have no issue with Kroft leaving, but what about Cole? Note: No disrespect to Cole .. I appreciate what he brings, but looking at it from a trade value / cost / productivity perspective I think we would be better making this type of move.

Then we could get Bob Foster more miss's!

• Haha (+1) 2