Lack of legit backup QB may be Bills' 2020 Achilles heel

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do think the team was worried about getting a guy in here that could beat out Allen.

Even when you're doing a decent job of just discussing football you throw something like this in there, which is ridiculous.  Come on, man.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You remember when the Eagles won the Super Bowl 3 years ago with a back up QB? ?

Yup every once in a while it can happen, that’s two over how many years? still it’s the exception not the rule. As we all know. 

Edited by Don Otreply

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That skill position talent is Barkley/Fromm....

Do I need to explain this to you?

11 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They can beat the Jets and Chargers with Matt Barkley... don't see anyone else there they beat.(assuming the other teams starting QB isn't hurt)

Dolphins, Rams, Raiders, Steelers, Broncos.  Do you think Bridgewater wins as many games as he did without a stacked offense like the Saints had?

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

There is no way in the world I'm taking Winston over Barkley as the backup.  No way.  The guy is an interception machine - was in college and is in the pros.  My backup has to play within the system and minimize mistakes.  Barkley's career numbers are worse, but that isn't who he is now.  Now he is a system quarterback, a game manager.

I think this is crazy. Winston is a way better Quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is crazy. Winston is a way better Quarterback.

Yeah, that can't really be disputed.  The question is whether Jameis could be coached to respect ball security at this point in his career.  He's just so careless.  But talent level and ability?  He puts Barkley to shame.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wish we had a Jim Kelly.

Of course I always wish that too. :flirt: However, I am very stoked for what young Josh brings to the table each and every day [insert farmer/blue collar/lunch pail jokes here], and the improvements he’s shown along the way. Am definitely invested in his future here, and think he will do great things!!

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, that can't really be disputed.  The question is whether Jameis could be coached to respect ball security at this point in his career.  He's just so careless.  But talent level and ability?  He puts Barkley to shame.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but my bigger concern, whether it's Barkley, or Winston, is how well Daboll can adjust his play calling to meet the circumstances. And, with that in mind, I would almost prefer Barkley. At least, it would cross my mind...

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Matt Barkley has thrown an interception on 6.1% of his NFL passes. Jameis Winston has thrown an interception on 3.5% of his NFL passes. Yea, even on ball security he is just a hell of a lot better. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Matt Barkley has thrown an interception on 6.1% of his NFL passes. Jameis Winston has thrown an interception on 3.5% of his NFL passes. Yea, even on ball security he is just a hell of a lot better. 

That's merely a sample size issue. Winston is the most careless QB in the league.

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think back up QB is the one glaring hole on our roster heading into the 2020 season.  Not only do we have to worry about a regular injury to Josh Allen this year, we also have to worry about him coming down with COVID19 and missing several games while he recuperates.  We don't have another QB on this roster that I have confidence in to step into the lineup for three weeks and win us 1 or 2 games.  I was really hoping we would make a run at Andy Dalton when he was released.  How valuable was having Foles,  Bridgewater, and Tanneyhill for the Eagles, Saints, and Titans over the last few seasons?

I know there are only so many quality QBs that become available each year, but I think that when you are putting together a team that has a legitimate shot at winning a championship, you need to make an investment in a quality backup QB.  I think it's worth $3-4 million a year in cap space to do so, especially when your starting QB is still on his rookie contract.  To put that amount into perspective, that's half of what Beane will pay Trent Murphy this year to be a rotational DE.   Dalton is getting $3 mil from the Cowboys this year.

This year the depth of your roster is going to be more important than ever due to COVID19.  We have quality depth at just about every position on the field except for the single most important one.  I do not mean to bash Beane with this post.  I am a huge Brandon Beane supporter and I think it's a miracle where we stand today compared to where we were just three years ago.  That improvement is due in large part to how well Beane has done his job. Maybe he has tried but was unsuccessful in signing a quality backup.  Who knows?   At the end of the day I would just feel a lot more comfortable going into this season with someone more accomplished than Matt Barkley holding a clipboard next to Josh Allen.

I think it is hard to dispute that backup QB is the single biggest hole on our roster heading into the 2020 season.  I hope it doesn't cost us.

That was a funny story, you should hook up with Frank Gore and write more funny *****.

32 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's merely a sample size issue. Winston is the most careless QB in the league.

Is it? The evidence is every time Barkley is on the field he throws it to the other team. His reasons are different, Winston is a gunslinger who makes poor decisions. Barkley is just undertalented for the position. And the NFL loves propping up under talented backup QBs with phrases like "smart" and "hard working." He turns it over because he isn't talented enough to make more than 4 or 5 standard NFL throws.

13 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think back up QB is the one glaring hole on our roster heading into the 2020 season.  Not only do we have to worry about a regular injury to Josh Allen this year, we also have to worry about him coming down with COVID19 and missing several games while he recuperates.  We don't have another QB on this roster that I have confidence in to step into the lineup for three weeks and win us 1 or 2 games.  I was really hoping we would make a run at Andy Dalton when he was released.  How valuable was having Foles,  Bridgewater, and Tanneyhill for the Eagles, Saints, and Titans over the last few seasons?

I know there are only so many quality QBs that become available each year, but I think that when you are putting together a team that has a legitimate shot at winning a championship, you need to make an investment in a quality backup QB.  I think it's worth $3-4 million a year in cap space to do so, especially when your starting QB is still on his rookie contract.  To put that amount into perspective, that's half of what Beane will pay Trent Murphy this year to be a rotational DE.   Dalton is getting $3 mil from the Cowboys this year.

This year the depth of your roster is going to be more important than ever due to COVID19.  We have quality depth at just about every position on the field except for the single most important one.  I do not mean to bash Beane with this post.  I am a huge Brandon Beane supporter and I think it's a miracle where we stand today compared to where we were just three years ago.  That improvement is due in large part to how well Beane has done his job. Maybe he has tried but was unsuccessful in signing a quality backup.  Who knows?   At the end of the day I would just feel a lot more comfortable going into this season with someone more accomplished than Matt Barkley holding a clipboard next to Josh Allen.

I think it is hard to dispute that backup QB is the single biggest hole on our roster heading into the 2020 season.  I hope it doesn't cost us.

A lot of teams have poor options at backup QB.  Not a big deal 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Even when you're doing a decent job of just discussing football you throw something like this in there, which is ridiculous.  Come on, man.

You’re crazy if you don’t think that was part of the discussion in backup qbs. Newton and Winston are their worst days are much much much better than our current backups and they are cheaper.  

teams worry about killing a young Qbs confidence. In an open competition, both of those guys could easily beat out Allen and that divides the lockerroom.  Matt Barkley is completely non threatening.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Do I need to explain this to you?

Dolphins, Rams, Raiders, Steelers, Broncos.  Do you think Bridgewater wins as many games as he did without a stacked offense like the Saints had?

We might not beat the Broncos with Josh let alone with Barkley. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re crazy if you don’t think that was part of the discussion in backup qbs. Newton and Winston are their worst days are much much much better than our current backups and they are cheaper.  

teams worry about killing a young Qbs confidence. In an open competition, both of those guys could easily beat out Allen and that divides the lockerroom.  Matt Barkley is completely non threatening.  

Discussed by delusional fans, maybe. But not by Bills decision makers. You are crazy if you think that is the case.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We might not beat the Broncos with Josh let alone with Barkley. 

Same goes for every team we face.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Discussed by delusional fans, maybe. But not by Bills decision makers. You are crazy if you think that is the case.

Same goes for every team we face.

Sure dude.  Well then it’s stupid if they decided that Matt Barkley at more money is a better option than Newton or Winston.  Absolutely idiotic.  The Steelers make the playoffs if they didn’t have absolute trash at backup qb.  The same will happen to us if Barkley/ Fromm has to play.