NFL officials are also opting out this year

Greg S

27 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Bottom line to me was the returner caught the ball and did not take a knee.  Then he tossed it rewards the ref, who moved out of the way of it as he thought it was still a live ball.  The later decision and explanation about intent was BS.

Yeah, by the rules it was was a safety. But that was a smart decision, going with the spirit of the game rather than the rules. If it had happened the rest of the football universe would have spent the rest of eternity correctly moaning that the Bills won (if they had, which might or might not have happened) on a bull#### technicality. And we wouldn't have won the next game anyway, but would have had a lower draft pick and therefore we probably would have had to pay extra for Diggs so that we might not have made the deal ...

It was the right decision for football, a dumb rule. They were smart to go by the spirit rather than the rules.

As for the officials opting out, they deserve all the understanding that the players opting out have mostly received. It's a dangerous disease, and they deserve the choice to avoid something that might have horrible repercussions for them or their family members. These guys are mostly significantly older and in poorer shape than the players. They stand a higher chance of health consequences than the players.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, MDH said:

They will be. If you think the starters were crap wait until you see the replacements...

just remember on any given week there is usually 14 games or so.  Basically maybe one every other game, but the refs worked out a plan they could officiate a game with a floor as low as 5 officials.  This was in response to preparing for refs testing positive for COVID.    I’m not really worried about it, and of aNy group on the field, they are like older coaches at the greater risk given many are older Americans.  To make it through games most are not very out of shape or anything which is helpful.

Its these guys choice.  Almost all of them have other professions, and if seven guys want to opt out to reduce their risk of infection, they have every right to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Lurker said:

Best of luck, Steve Freeman...

“Line judge Jeff Bergman, back judges Steve Freeman and Tony Steratore, and field judges Greg Gautreaux and Joe Larrew are among those who will take a leave of absence.”

OUR Steve Freeman??

9 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

So how many compensatory picks do the Patriots get?

Remember what Walter Brennen used to say in 'The Guns of Will Sonnett'?  
"No brag...just fact"

Only two compensatory picks, but no remaining officials are qualified in the use of an air pressure gauge.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, by the rules it was was a safety. But that was a smart decision, going with the spirit of the game rather than the rules. If it had happened the rest of the football universe would have spent the rest of eternity correctly moaning that the Bills won (if they had, which might or might not have happened) on a bull#### technicality. And we wouldn't have won the next game anyway, but would have had a lower draft pick and therefore we probably would have had to pay extra for Diggs so that we might not have made the deal ...

It was the right decision for football, a dumb rule. They were smart to go by the spirit rather than the rules

You can't just pick and choose when you want to follow the letter of the rule (which this was) versus the spirit.  Players don't intend to make mistakes; they just do.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Doc said:

Hopefully that group includes the 2 guys in black shirts who came onto the field in the Houston playoff game to reverse the TD.

I fully expect them to start letting ball carriers keep their touchdowns when they make a mental mistake and drop the ball celebrating too early running wide open into the end zone like Watkons or DeSean if "what they meant to do" counts in the rules now.  Maybe they should eliminate incomplete passes since receivers don't mean to drop passes!

Being the team that screws up the least is also part of winning, that was our TD.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Just put down the bong and step away from the computer............everything will be clearer in the morning.

Do you think that officials that make themselves available at great risk to their health don't deserve job security? When you shelter in place , many of us put our big boy pants on and go to work. 

17 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I bet replacement refs would have given the Bills that TD in the playoff game.

Only if the super ref in black also opts out and takes his "overrule the ruling on the field" special powers with him.

image.png.9ff2521e8a6ddcc762f77446a3196cb8.png

Edited by ProcessAccepted

12 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Do you think that officials that make themselves available at great risk to their health don't deserve job security? When you shelter in place , many of us put our big boy pants on and go to work. 

Maybe you should understand the provisions of the agreement that officials, their union and the NFL have made.  The officials opting out are guaranteed their positions for the 2021 season.  They have been given job security.  Any replacements that are being added are being given a job opportunity for a year that they would not otherwise have been given.  You should also understand that all of the officials that are going to work are volunteering to do so and are paid very well.  My comments went to the illogical comment made in a previous post.

12 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Maybe you should understand the provisions of the agreement that officials, their union and the NFL have made.  The officials opting out are guaranteed their positions for the 2021 season.  They have been given job security.  Any replacements that are being added are being given a job opportunity for a year that they would not otherwise have been given.  You should also understand that all of the officials that are going to work are volunteering to do so and are paid very well.  My comments went to the illogical comment made in a previous post.

I expressed my opinion about the replacements deserving job security. The union also protects old, poorly conditioned and mistake riddled overpaid officials that threaten the enjoyability of professional football.  The agreement made by the union and the NFL does not benefit the customers,  just the men that do this job 20 to 25 days a year. If the replacements cannot return to officiating next year, and are putting their personal and family's health at risk, they deserve to be paid well.

What has been spoken as decided is still tentative. Will update title when vote is announced.  Note: the referees are getting stipends not advances.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29628424/nfl-referees-opt-get-30k-stipend-guaranteed-job-21

NFL game officials can opt out of the 2020 season in exchange for a $30,000 stipend and a guarantee that their jobs will be protected in 2021, according to a preliminary agreement announced Sunday between the league and the NFL Referees Association amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The agreement was approved by the NFLRA board of directors and will advance to a full vote of membership Monday. If approved, officials will have until Thursday to notify the NFL of a decision to opt out.

According to NFLRA executive director Scott Green, the average NFL official is 52 years old. 

The NFL's roster of officials currently stands at 121, enough to give each official at least one week off during the season

I’ll never forget that Jets game where the ref when announcing the penalty motions punching a guy in the nether region. The old “Given em the business rule call”.  Classic.

All kidding, I haven’t scanned every post, just most, but I guess two of the seven were replay guys so I’m assuming they were in the booth or in NY.  That surprised me a little, but they stated it Friday afternoon on NFLR.  I don’t care why people opt out as it’s their health, but that one was a little surprising they were replay guys.

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Screw that. 

They can find something else to do part time 

we need fresh blood, ones who won’t favor certain players or teams. 

Careful what you wish for.

GoodellVsReplacements.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And penalties were even across the board. 

the Pats**** we’re averaging 6 to 8 penalties per game. 

when the regular Cramungens (sp?) returned they went back to 0 to 2 PPG. :( 

curmudgeons...but that invokes a sour disposition, like Scrooge. I think you meant blind and bewildered, like Mr. Magoo (Google it, kids).