I'll have a beer and one potato chip

Steve O

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

You're blaming Governor Cuomo for your friend's suicide?  I don't think that's how that works.  Frankly, I find it ridiculous.

GFY too. For a bs lockdown that culls the herd.

Only a moron didn't know lockdown would drastically raise death by despair. To save the sick and dying a few more months. 

Edited by LB3

14 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I stopped in  for happy hour tonight at one of my go to establishments.  Back to 25% capacity.....normally it would be hard to find a seat or a table at 6pm. i asked if I could buy a bag a chips,  but that didn't qualify so I got a plate of nachos to split with the group (very good by the way) Bar was empty,  because its off limits and there were maybe 5 tables of patrons. Its a one off local family. Not a chain restaurant. Its a sad state of affairs. A lot of small businesses will cease to exist after this. If you are compromised or don't feel safe going out then by all means stay home, but life comes with risks. Be safe and take precautions,  but we're not all going to die.

Yep, we just experienced one of the largest wealth transfers in history and nobody even blinked.  We can wait in line at walmart but g-d forbid the local sporting goods store be able to stay open for their five patrons an hour.  A street in my city that was all small businesses is now plastered with "for lease" signs.

And for those upthread: yes, social isolation can absolutely amplify the feelings of hopelessness that cause suicide.  Not to mention financial ruin, loss of employment, etc.  Whether driving people closer to suicide was worth it or not I suppose is up to our friends in the actuarial sciences.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Thank you. He wasn't allowed to see anyone. It was the 10 year anniversary of his wife's death. He couldn't take it anymore. He's with his wife now which is the only comfort from it.

GFY dbag. I hope you're at the opener in the next few years.

It's  like Gug said. It's  not the governor's fault.  I get it, every life is a tragedy.  Yet, he's  thinking of many  more.  Pretty shameless finding  blame  on others, then finding  honor in  it. It is quite ridiculous. 

20 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Thanks for that.

Sorry.

I normally  don't  put caveats on my apologies.  Doesn't  mean I agree with you  OR what  your friend did. Just sorry for  your  loss.

5 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Yep, we just experienced one of the largest wealth transfers in history and nobody even blinked.  We can wait in line at walmart but g-d forbid the local sporting goods store be able to stay open for their five patrons an hour.  A street in my city that was all small businesses is now plastered with "for lease" signs.

And for those upthread: yes, social isolation can absolutely amplify the feelings of hopelessness that cause suicide.  Not to mention financial ruin, loss of employment, etc.  Whether driving people closer to suicide was worth it or not I suppose is up to our friends in the actuarial sciences.

Unfortunately, I have had WAY too many friends, co-workers and/or loved ones take their own lives.  It's not a subject I take lightly, so please don't think that I am.

But I find it odd that someone would opine that the lockdown caused their friend to commit suicide - and then follow it with the opinion that those who've died from Covid-19 were gonna die "in a few months," anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Unfortunately, I have had WAY too many friends, co-workers and/or loved ones take their own lives.  It's not a subject I take lightly, so please don't think that I am.

But I find it odd that someone would opine that the lockdown caused their friend to commit suicide - and then follow it with the opinion that those who've died from Covid-19 were gonna die "in a few months," anyway.

Emotional takes are typically not rational takes.  Doesn't mean emotional takes are always wrong - but hyperbole is an acceptable rhetorical device when one is grieving. 

But it may be a reference to deaths by age splits.  Both number of COVID deaths and COVID deaths as a percentage of all deaths dramatically increase when you hit 55, then dramatically increase again at 65.  Percentage then holds steady up to the top of the graph while raw number of deaths climbs.

But this isn't a "fACts aNd iNFo" thread - this is a thread about a silly law.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, LabattBlue said:

If Cuomo wants to crackdown on this because of problems in the NYC area, why not just issue the edict for the counties that make up the NYC boroughs?  Why penalize some random establishments in the middle of WNY and other places upstate who never have more than 10-15 people at any given time.

Some big apple residents are not only ruining it for the rest of the state, but they are also going to once again be the cause of a rise in cases.

So what is new about big apple residents ruining for rest of state? It should be called the Big Apple Worm.

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cull the herd?  Usually the weak  and sick are culled.   Committing  suicide is just that, part of the herd's infirm.  A lot more older  and stronger  died from the disease that  shouldn't  have. 

Committing suicide is always cowardly. Part of me still resents my friend. Covid, by the data, is taking a certain select population. I can't wait till a home opener though. Gonna be great to see you.

Edited by LB3

4 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Committing suicide is always cowardly. Part of me still resents my friend. Covid, by the data, is taking a certain select population. I can't wait till a home opener though. Gonna be great to see you.

And that  friend  is part of the equation because of the disease, not the governor.

Yes... Same here.  If it goes  off.

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Boo hoo.  Take  one for  the  team Comrade.  You're friend  is a true  hero.

I mentioned here that  in the 1930s my grandfather  had a good paying  job on the railroad.   FDR cut his pay from $36 a week  in GOLD to $18 in paper and  eliminated  the ability to strike.  My grandfather  hated "that  crippled basstard" till the day he died...BUT my grandfather  voted for  him 4 times.  My grandfather  still had a job and knew it was best for  the  country.  ...Even after  the Federal  Government scared people to trade  in their gold  for  paper.  My Grandfather  died penniless.

Unless... Your  friend  was physically killed by Prince Andy, he'll get over it (no matter  where he is) knowing  he helped  others, just like my grandfather. 

How did your great grandfather fare in 1910 ? 

8 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

The hypocrisy is stunning, easily identifiable and for reasons that escape me, many people are perfectly comfortable with it.  Between locked down churches, winners and losers in retail, and the freedom to risk every person’s life in the world with mass gatherings in protest, I can understand bar and restaurant owners moving in this direction.  

By nature, these are tough, aggressive and business-minded people.  They shut down and shut up early, but understandably might well be thinking wtf by now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The hypocrisy is stunning, easily identifiable and for reasons that escape me, many people are perfectly comfortable with it.  Between locked down churches, winners and losers in retail, and the freedom to risk every person’s life in the world with mass gatherings in protest, I can understand bar and restaurant owners moving in this direction.  

But, but, but... 80% of them were wearing face coverings, half of them correctly (if that)... so it’s all good.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, Gugny said:

I live 3 hours north of NYC and many bars have been reported for violating social distancing rules.  I know it's mostly a NYC problem, but I think it's safe to say that the non-compliance is widespread.

A friend of mine’s daughter and friend went to a brewery in Lockport last weekend.  It was just to eat dinner as they are underage.  They said that there were people at the bar shoulder to shoulder.  Almost no patrons wearing masks.  That’s the reason stuff like the food rule gets enacted.  I just hope the rules get enforced.  I don’t want WNY to be Florida in a month. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 7/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, LeviF91 said:

But it may be a reference to deaths by age splits.  Both number of COVID deaths and COVID deaths as a percentage of all deaths dramatically increase when you hit 55, then dramatically increase again at 65.  Percentage then holds steady up to the top of the graph while raw number of deaths climbs.

I hope you are not intending to imply that people over age 65, or people over age 85 for that matter, are "going to die anyway in a matter of months" or  if they die something something "culling the herd"

You weren't intending to imply that, were you?

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, BringBackFergy said:

I have seen just as many young, uber-intelligent, metro-sexuals nursing a "spiced green spinach smoothie with a shot of quinoa oil and a sprinkle of llama milk" over the course of two hours while browsing the latest issue of Art Voice or The Atlantic.  They will sit there for hours and chat, solve world problems and shame me as I walk past their front window seats covered in faux leather cushions. Alcohol isn't the issue...people being close to each other indoors is the real problem. Why target bars and taverns without requiring food purchases at other businesses that condone the very same conduct (gathering of people indoors that aren't eating)? 

I love this writing.  You do have a way with words. 

One does kind of wonder where you were standing when you observed them for hours, (and it does lead me to wonder why you are covered in faux leather cushions, but that's a nit). 

I have actually never seen people packed in shoulder to shoulder to drink their soy matcha latte frappaccinos in a coffee house the way I see people packed in to drink their longnecks and draft specials around here.

But, I must defer to your superior knowledge of the spiced green spinach llama milk smoothie crowd.

You're absolutely right that If the smoothie bars are packed shoulder to shoulder with people drinking spiced green spinach smoothie llama milk like the alcoholic bars I've seen,  they should close too... and of course requiring you to buy a potato chip doesn't help the shoulder-to-shoulder thing.