Where did Your Ancestors Originate?

9 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I doubt it.  A german woman told me my last name sounded Czech. Could be as Poznan is near the Czech border and  Germany owned  the area until WW1 ended.

My mother's father could sense that the winds of war were brewing around 1910 and he was prime cannon fodder age ( born in1888) so he decided to get out of there before the German army drafted him.Came her only knowing a few English words. Had to learn English by talking to people  and reading the  paper (radio and talking movies weren't invented yet) and there were no ESL classes. Did well enough to raise a family of 9 kids while working at Buffalo Forge as a tinsmith.

Oddly enough, I did some research into my last name (which doesn't sound Polish at all). Turns out, it's a rather common name in the Posnan area, and ONLY in the Posnan area. This was discovered through a search of parish records in Poland.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I doubt it.  A german woman told me my last name sounded Czech. Could be as Poznan is near the Czech border and  Germany owned  the area until WW1 ended.

My mother's father could sense that the winds of war were brewing around 1910 and he was prime cannon fodder age ( born in1888) so he decided to get out of there before the German army drafted him.Came her only knowing a few English words. Had to learn English by talking to people  and reading the  paper (radio and talking movies weren't invented yet) and there were no ESL classes. Did well enough to raise a family of 9 kids while working at Buffalo Forge as a tinsmith.

Lot of border swapping back then... one of my g-grandfather's had an Austrian birth certificate due to where the border was at the time. He was a Polish citizen.

My Irish ancestor was born in 1757 in County Down, Ulster, and came to the US when he was 19. I'm 7th generation Scots-Irish with a smattering of Scandinavian & German mixed in.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Wacka said:

You are referring to the Sudetenland where my paternal grandmother came from.  The area she specifically came from is a part of Poland now and we wondered if she was not a little bit Polish even if she was not aware of being so.  She was a teenager when WWI was lost for Germany and her family became dislocated until she came to the US in the 1920's.  She was always tight lipped about the time right after WWI over there which was due to the chaos from different factions vying for power on a local basis.  

34 minutes ago, westside2 said:

So you're not a chinese bot? Lol, I kid.

Dad's side unknown. He was orphaned as a child. My mom's are German. Cane over in 1939. They saw the writing on the wall. 

Wow! Just got out in time! Good, we are glad you are here :) 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Azalin said:

My Irish ancestor was born in 1757 in County Down, Ulster, and came to the US when he was 19. I'm 7th generation Scots-Irish with a smattering of Scandinavian & German mixed in.  

A lot of Scots emigrated to Ireland several centuries ago.  My maternal grandfather's family is one example.  They had been in Ireland for at least a dozen generations before coming to the US and figured any Scot blood was pretty well diluted at that point.  They were from Ulster.  Maternal grandmother traces back to County Cork.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chris farley said:

Sicily on moms side.  Swedish and Scottish on dad's 

My buddy is Italian on his fathers side, he was all pissed off when he got his Ancestory .com dna results back and there was very little Italian in him. I told him how Italy had basically been the slave market of Europe 2000 years ago and many Italians are of mixed ancestry. Italy, the first melting pot! 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

My buddy is Italian on his fathers side, he was all pissed off when he got his Ancestory .com dna results back and there was very little Italian in him. I told him how Italy had basically been the slave market of Europe 2000 years ago and many Italians are of mixed ancestry. Italy, the first melting pot! 

Specifically, Italy was being hit by invasions of barbarians as the Western Roman Empire was going into decline.  My nephew had a similar test result which does show his mom's (my SIL) DNA clearly but less than 5 percent Italian for his dad.  If you are from Wales that is the best chance of being "pure bred."  Anything else and a good chance eastern barbarians or Vikings factor in.

50 minutes ago, westside2 said:

So you're not a chinese bot? Lol, I kid.

Dad's side unknown. He was orphaned as a child. My mom's are German. Cane over in 1939. They saw the writing on the wall. 

My paternal grandmother was supposed to have gone back to Germany to collect an inheritance worth considerable money in 1939.  Word came back from family over there that the Nazi's had no intentions of letting her leave with that money so she never went.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Growing up in WNY, I've had this conversation hundreds of times. This is such a Buffalonian conversation. 

It's also such a white conversation.

Have any of you guys ever asked any of your black friends this question? 

Please 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Growing up in WNY, I've had this conversation hundreds of times. This is such a Buffalonian conversation. 

Yes, many black people have relatives down south. So not nationality, but many black people talk about the different parts of the south their families moved from. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

My 23 and me was mostly uneventful and confirmed what I was told and read (my aunt wrote a book tracing them back to Rome in the 1300 's).  but you have a point, as it also showed I have the Y Haplogroup E-M123.  And that's not Sicilian or Italian.  But Ethiopian Levanthian

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 1

....Italy for BOTH SIDES......and they ALL  came through Ellis Island the LEGAL WAY......one set had 4 kids and the other had 9........made it with NO public assistance, welfare et al.....ground it out to succeed, the American way (or used to be)............

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Italy for BOTH SIDES......and they ALL  came through Ellis Island the LEGAL WAY......one set had 4 kids and the other had 9........made it with NO public assistance, welfare et al.....ground it out to succeed, the American way (or used to be)............

Ground and Pound...

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/8/2020 at 9:36 AM, Chef Jim said:

My grampa on my dad's side came from Italy.  My dad's mom's parents came from Italy.

My grampa on my mom's side family came over on the Fortune which was the second ship to arrive at Plymouth Rock after the Mayflower.  

We were late comers....my Dad's mother's side came over on the Arabella in 1630.

French faction hightailed it to America just before WW1.

Both grandparents on my mom's side came from Sicily via Ellis Island.  Great grandparents on my father's side came from Scotland.  All become citizens the legal way.  My Sicilian grandparents raised 8 children and my grandfather was a barber in downtown Buffalo.  My great grandmother from Scotland had 21 children and my grandfather was her youngest.  My father once said to my great grandmother, "You must have really loved grandpa to have 21 children"  Her response..."I hated the son of a B word."

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:20 AM, Motorin' said:

Want to know where it's just an AWESOME question to ask?

Hawai'i.

Wife is Thai, Hawaiian, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish and Indian.

Her Mom is an import from Thailand my father in law met and married over there during Vietnam. Her father pulls over much on his Hawaiian genes though HIS Mom looks very Portuguese.

I'm just plain ole White. English, Scotch-Irish, Welch, French and Scandinavian.

Ancestors go back to the Revolutionary War as I know I'm related to some head of one of the militias in New England who corresponded with George Washington about strategy at that time, but I don't remember his name.

My Mom brought it up recently because she said she's been invited multiple times to join DAR, but chose not to.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

On 7/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, Cinga said:

Yup! When I was stationed on Okinawa many moons ago it seemed all the orientals hated each other. Korean, Japanese, Filipinos, and Chinese.  I think most of that went back to WWII and before but if there could be racism within a race that would have been proof!

And Europeans haven't demonstrated hatred of each other over the last 2000 years?   In the last 106 years, Europeans did their best to annihilate each other twice. 

On 7/8/2020 at 9:55 PM, Chris farley said:

Sicily on moms side.  Swedish and Scottish on dad's 

Italian/Swedish is a common mix in the Jamestown area where about 50% of the population have some Swedish ancestry, while Italians have been a major ethnic group in Jamestown since the early 1900s.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:02 AM, RochesterRob said:

A lot of Scots emigrated to Ireland several centuries ago.  My maternal grandfather's family is one example.  They had been in Ireland for at least a dozen generations before coming to the US and figured any Scot blood was pretty well diluted at that point.  They were from Ulster.  Maternal grandmother traces back to County Cork.

While Lord Protector of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales in the mid-17th century, Oliver Cromwell dispossessed thousands of Irish Catholics and replaced them with Scottish Protestants.   That was all part of the widespread religious warfare throughout Europe in the 17th century, and the source of "The Troubles" that erupted in Northern Ireland in the late 20th century.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, Tiberius said:

Yes, many black people have relatives down south. So not nationality, but many black people talk about the different parts of the south their families moved from. 

Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns is a prize winning book on "the Great Migration", which saw millions of Southern Blacks leave the South for the Northeast, Midwest, and Far West between 1915 and about 1970.    

19 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

So, do you want a medal????   The fact is that until the early 1920s, EVERYBODY who came into the US was LEGAL because there were no laws limiting entry into the US except for illness, disability, or mental incapacity, in which case you were sent back to Europe.  For several decades after the 1920s, the US allowed largely unrestricted immigration into the US from Western Hemisphere countries.  It was only in the 1980s that all those descendants of European immigrants in Cali, Arizona, and Texas began worrying that those brown people from south of the Rio Grande who picked their crops and cleaned their houses for slave-labor wages were staying in the country rather than returning to Mexico and points south.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

So, do you want a medal????   The fact is that until the early 1920s, EVERYBODY who came into the US was LEGAL because there were no laws limiting entry into the US except for illness, disability, or mental incapacity, in which case you were sent back to Europe.  For several decades after the 1920s, the US allowed largely unrestricted immigration into the US from Western Hemisphere countries.  It was only in the 1980s that all those descendants of European immigrants in Cali, Arizona, and Texas began worrying that those brown people from south of the Rio Grande who picked their crops and cleaned their houses for slave-labor wages were staying in the country rather than returning to Mexico and points south.

He can speak for himself; however, I'm sure what he wants is for people who desire to emigrate to this country, to do so according to existing immigration laws.

Not a difficult concept, no?

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, SoTier said:

And Europeans haven't demonstrated hatred of each other over the last 2000 years?   In the last 106 years, Europeans did their best to annihilate each other twice. 

Italian/Swedish is a common mix in the Jamestown area where about 50% of the population have some Swedish ancestry, while Italians have been a major ethnic group in Jamestown since the early 1900s.

While Lord Protector of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales in the mid-17th century, Oliver Cromwell dispossessed thousands of Irish Catholics and replaced them with Scottish Protestants.   That was all part of the widespread religious warfare throughout Europe in the 17th century, and the source of "The Troubles" that erupted in Northern Ireland in the late 20th century.

Isabel Wilkerson's The Warmth of Other Suns is a prize winning book on "the Great Migration", which saw millions of Southern Blacks leave the South for the Northeast, Midwest, and Far West between 1915 and about 1970.    

That's nice. but I'm from Detroit.

18 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't think this was in play as my understanding was my grandfather's family was in Ireland before Cromwell.  Most likely at that point in time they were Catholic which would mean minimal friction with the Irish.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, SoTier said:

840312439_51e-BCMepL._SX317_BO1204203200_.thumb.jpg.b36797d2590bbfd03e5eb848730c3979.jpg

This is a good one I read a long time ago. Blacks moved north to the cities and the Democratic Party Urban Machines courted them. Blacks were voting for the same party as the KKK for awhile! 

51 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

That's nice. but I'm from Detroit.

Ooops!  That's what happens when you assume that someone located in the Southern Tier has connections to Jamestown!  

Swedes also settled in Michigan in significant numbers, although not in the numbers that they did in Minnesota and other parts of the Upper Midwest. 

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't think this was in play as my understanding was my grandfather's family was in Ireland before Cromwell.  Most likely at that point in time they were Catholic which would mean minimal friction with the Irish.  

That's unusual for them to identify as "Scots Irish" but given the religious persecution of Catholics at the time by Cromwell, they probably converted to Protestantism and laid low for self preservation.  

According to my family lore, my Polish maternal grandmother's father or grandfather was a Polish Jew who converted to Catholicism at some point in the 19th century to survive the progroms instituted by the Russian czars. 

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That's unusual for them to identify as "Scots Irish" but given the religious persecution of Catholics at the time by Cromwell, they probably converted to Protestantism and laid low for self preservation.  

According to my family lore, my Polish maternal grandmother's father or grandfather was a Polish Jew who converted to Catholicism at some point in the 19th century to survive the progroms instituted by the Russian czars. 

I suspect that there were lots of conversions just to survive as you stated all across Europe.  We suspected that my paternal grandmother's family were Jews until sometime in the late 18th or 19th Centuries.  A lot of that history was lost and as stated previously the feeling might have been to just let it be lost as it most likely was a hinderance.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

He can speak for himself; however, I'm sure what he wants is for people who desire to emigrate to this country, to do so according to existing immigration laws.

Not a difficult concept, no?

Then let him say that not make a snide remark that simply reenforces the typical lies that xenophobes repeat about current immigrants.  Illegal immigrants do not qualify for government aid, including welfare.  They may receive assistance from private sources, which also helped down-and-out immigrants in the supposed "good old days".   Legal immigrants are either supposed to have already have jobs waiting for them or have sponsorship by another individual (usually a spouse or other family) or a private group who guarantees to keep that immigrant from landing on welfare for several years after arrival.   Even immigrants who are granted political asylum seldom are given welfare.

FTR, many Spanish speaking individuals who receive welfare are US citizens, primarily from Puerto Rico.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Then let him say that not make a snide remark that simply reenforces the typical lies that xenophobes repeat about current immigrants.  Illegal immigrants do not qualify for government aid, including welfare.  They may receive assistance from private sources, which also helped down-and-out immigrants in the supposed "good old days".   Legal immigrants are either supposed to have already have jobs waiting for them or have sponsorship by another individual (usually a spouse or other family) or a private group who guarantees to keep that immigrant from landing on welfare for several years after arrival.   Even immigrants who are granted political asylum seldom are given welfare.

FTR, many Spanish speaking individuals who receive welfare are US citizens, primarily from Puerto Rico.

Old-time is NOT a xenophobe, Christ, you have a label for everyone. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

...YAWN........as usual......my grandparents were my medal.....you?...LEAD poisoning, same as on the football side......PFFFFT..................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:34 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Oddly enough, I did some research into my last name (which doesn't sound Polish at all). Turns out, it's a rather common name in the Posnan area, and ONLY in the Posnan area. This was discovered through a search of parish records in Poland.

I've been scouring the internet, but can't find what I'm looking for. I read an article a few years ago that would identify what part of Poland your ancestors came from based on the Polish words you remember them saying. My area came up as Posnan too, and the kicker was if you remember your relatives calling the end pieces of bread the "kroonka", you're from the Posnan region.

BTW I'm almost all Polish with a little Swedish mixed in. 

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

Illegal immigrants do not qualify for government aid, including welfare.  They may receive assistance from private sources, which also helped down-and-out immigrants in the supposed "good old days".   Legal immigrants are either supposed to have already have jobs waiting for them or have sponsorship by another individual (usually a spouse or other family) or a private group who guarantees to keep that immigrant from landing on welfare for several years after arrival.   Even immigrants who are granted political asylum seldom are given welfare.

THAT is complete bullschiff. Welfare is administered by the STATES, not the federal government who does actually pay for most of it though. And few if any states make you prove citizenship for government assistance. With roughly 20 million of them here, and it still illegal to hire them, how the f*** do you think they survive? I find it preposterous that companies are raided sometimes with illegals working there, and the business gets fined. The crazy part is that in some states it's illegal to even ask i they are here legally!

Yeah, some work on stolen ID or under the table, but many are also on the government dole. 

Here is a source for the cost to American taxpayers for illegal immigration. 

image.thumb.png.4f8883e4f0ef4dd2826052b5e37e1c48.png

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

You've attempted to hijack this thread. The Right and the Left were actually getting along and you have tried to take it in a different direction.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/8/2020 at 9:19 PM, Beast said:

My father’s parents came from Poland. My mother has Irish roots.

You’re just pissed because Ringlin Brothers and Barnum and Bailey came back on your Ancestory.com profile.

It’s OK. Clowns lives matter.

Many good answers to the race baiting idiocy, but this one made me laugh out loud. Well done!

As for me: moms side comes from Denmark- supposedly there’s an illegitimate heir in there somewhere... not sure it’s ever been proven, but it’s believed by those who have done research. 

No clue on my dads side. Just realized the other day that I haven’t ever thought of it/ haven’t heard about it. European, but not sure what. 

Wife’s family is Irish and Scottish. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

Old-time is NOT a xenophobe, Christ, you have a label for everyone. 

...thanks bro.......he's a real gem, equally "legendary" on the football side......my SIMPLE point (probably why it evaded him) was that my ancestral grandparents  as were yours (knowing your Italian heritage) did it the LEGAL WAY through Ellis Island.....but his tin foil hat exudes, "Immigration laws are made to be broken and circumvented"..........brilliance......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy