Where did Your Ancestors Originate?

I thought this might be a good thread. My mom came from Calabria in Italy and dad from Corleone, Sicily. My kids were born in Buffalo, grandkids in Ft. Myers, Fl and my 2 great granddaughters in Naples, Fl

• Like (+1) 5

My grampa on my dad's side came from Italy.  My dad's mom's parents came from Italy.

My grampa on my mom's side family came over on the Fortune which was the second ship to arrive at Plymouth Rock after the Mayflower.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My dad side were Quakers that came over with William Penn and settled in south central PA (Buffalo is part of my heritage cause my father went there for work). When the Revolution started, some of them figured there were indeed somethings worth fighting for and joined Washington's Army. That side of the family has served ever since, including for the North of course in the Civil War.

My mom side were butchers in Germany, and migrated over early 1900s. 

So no one in my ancestry ever owned slaves and in fact fought to free ALL men! Fore an add on side note to this, I have a brother who owns a house in Ohio that was a part of the underground railroad in that area. It's partially filled in now, but his house has a tunnel under it that went to the other side of town and was used obviously to smuggle escaped slaves through town. 

• Like (+1) 5

I'm a descendent of a guy named Edward Fuller who came to America on the Mayflower with his wife and son.  He was one of the signatories of the Mayflower Compact. In between him and my now living family there are a variety of relatives that came from England, Germany, Ireland and others places. 

And before any of you kooks call me a racist, I also have family from WV that fought for the North in the civil war.

https://www.history.com/topics/colonial-america/mayflower-compact

• Like (+1) 4

As said in other recent threads primarily Irish and German.  A little English blood married in to my mother's family that flows through my body and lived in CNY since coming to North America.  They even have a road named after them as did many early comers to the area and WNY.  The wife has a similar mix with a little Polish mixed in.  One of her ancestors was an original Massachusetts Bay Colony member/ prominent citizen.  One of her Irish Ancestors who came over after the Potato Famine fought on behalf of the Union at Gettysburg.  

• Like (+1) 2

My mother came over from Calabria when she was in Kindergarten. My grandmother and her were not allowed to immigrate until my grandfather had proof of employment in the United States. My father's parents (my grandparents) legally immigrated from Abruzzo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

My mother came over from Calabria when she was in Kindergarten. My grandmother and her were not allowed to immigrate until my grandfather had proof of employment in the United States. My father's parents (my grandparents) legally immigrated from Abruzzo.

Yep, most, if not all families came over 1 at a time and had to have a "sponsor", and learn English, there were no signs or instructions in English and Italian

Growing up in WNY, I've had this conversation hundreds of times. This is such a Buffalonian conversation. 

It's also such a white conversation.

Have any of you guys ever asked any of your black friends this question? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Growing up in WNY, I've had this conversation hundreds of times. This is such a Buffalonian conversation. 

So this a racist topic and thread?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I didn't have to ask. A coworker from Sierra Leone and another from Ghana both told me as much in our introductory conversations and then both asked where my family was from and whether I had ever been to Africa. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

.....and I was just thinking this could be in off the wall as it is innocuous.   Then comes a person to inject race.  Do you want to add global warming?

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

So why does it bother you now if this is old hat so to speak for you?  Not a white "thing" as I have had Asian friends while in college that includes people from India, China, and Japan among the countries that make up Asia who were interested in the background of others.  Have you asked your Asian friends about their backgrounds?  

49 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

sound the derp alert ? ??

• Thank you (+1) 1