nucci

Game Attendance decided by team

wait til I get back with my popcorn...

No fans allowed: New York State issues guidelines for reopening of pro sports

If the season started today, fans would also be banned from assembling outside the venue, and security would be in place to remove anyone who has gathered.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/no-fans-allowed-new-york-state-issues-guidelines-for-reopening-of-pro-sports/71-58246890-54cd-4bc0-8ae3-5b4f5b4f8496?fbclid=IwAR1OUJo1OoAPvWCd2fImNrKnQdBacuPuszQeSsup4nLkfmcT6EQSDnM0zRw

23 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Yeah, but it feels true, and as Isaac Asimov said: “The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge‘.”

Thanks for that quote. IA was spot on.

We live in a strange time when science denial is merging with an anti-expertise movement where lay people know more than those who’ve spent years becoming educated on a subject. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Thanks for that quote. IA was spot on.

We live in a strange time when science denial is merging with an anti-expertise movement where lay people know more than those who’ve spent years becoming educated on a subject. 

Ironic.

And, yes, I agree with you. 

13 hours ago, Beast said:

Honestly, I really don’t care if my opinion and the way I live my life pisses people off.

Here’s one for you....did you wear a mask during the Flu season? Did you complain about those people that didn’t? People still get sick with the Flu even after getting vaccinated. Around 60,000 people a year die in this country due to the Flu.

Should we all social distance during the Flu season? Wear masks? Shut businesses down?

No? Why not? Is 60,000 people a year dying an acceptable number?

What is your acceptable number before we all have to take a virus seriously?

At least you have good self awareness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not having a league policy would be a mistake, IMO, for two reasons:

1) Teams with more fans in the stands will have a bigger home field advantage than those with fewer.

2) Because of the above point, teams that reside in higher risk areas (LA, New Jersey), will be under uncreased pressure to allow more fans in the stadium than may be recommended by experts.

Lets keep a level playing field, so to speak.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

...Received this e mail from the Bills today:

Thank you for your continued support of the Buffalo Bills. We hope you and your family and friends are staying safe and healthy.

While the possibility exists that no spectators will be permitted at New Era Field for the 2020 season, we continue to work with the NFL and state and local government agencies to establish policies and procedures to create and maintain the safest possible environment for spectators.

As we navigate this unprecedented offseason, we recognize that there may be questions about the upcoming season and we are working diligently on guidelines that will provide a safe environment at New Era Field. We appreciate your patience and understanding and we will remain in contact with you in the days and weeks ahead.

As guidelines are established, we will communicate them to all ticket purchasers as soon as possible, including any changes to our seating capacity. Until then, we will not be charging or taking any additional season ticket payments.

Please understand that in a reduced capacity scenario, seat locations and availability for season ticket members may be adjusted.

In addition, all season ticket members will be given the opportunity to opt out of their season ticket commitment for this season with an option to return for the 2021 season while maintaining their account seniority and seat location. An email with opt-out information will be sent in the coming days.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your account representative.

Whether you are cheering on the team from our house or yours, we look forward to celebrating an exciting year of Bills football with you.

Go Bills!

Chris Colleary

Vice President of Ticket Sales and Service

They didn't need any more words after this, other than not losing seniority/seats for not attending the 2020 season. 

We should all agree that having zero people in the stadium is without a doubt the "safest possible environment for spectators". 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, jimmy10 said:

Yeah, but it feels true, and as Isaac Asimov said: “The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge‘.”

Well stated.

and to stir the pot there is this link

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/23/nfl-attendance-will-be-determined-state-by-state-county-by-county/

“Attendance will be a state-by-state, county-by-county thing,” an unnamed NFL source told Daniel Kaplan of TheAthletic.com. “It will not be a one size fits all.”

Which means that in some states, fans will be present for games. In others, not. And even though this will create inequities when it comes to crowd noise, that apparently will be acceptable because a one size fits all approach to attendance will result in no fans being present, for any NFL games.

So when the Buffalo hospitals are at max capacity can you say I went to the Bills game and get a ventilator with a Bills logo on it? Shame on the Pegulas for making Doctors choose who lives and dies.

• Confused 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So no different than other years 

I know everyone likes to joke about Jax attendance, but last year it was 22nd in average and 93% full.  Buffalo was 16th and 96% full.  

The real losers are the Raiders, Bucs and Bengals, even the Skins.