“Cancel” / Knee-Jerk Culture of 2020 and beyond

This one takes the cake.for me.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/12/abraham-lincoln-statue-boston-mayor-walsh/

“It doesn’t make you feel good,” said Boston City Councilor Lydia Edwards. Edwards, of East Boston told us she understands the artist’s goal was probably to lift people up, but she says for people who see it as a symbol of oppression, the message is lost. “It’s OK to see a statue in modern eyes. What was interpreted one way can be interpreted another way in the future,” she said.

We talked to a few people in the area. Two white men told us it should be taken down. But a man of color from Dorchester had to take a long look at the piece. “If it’s a sign of submission, I would be against it,” he said. “But if it’s a sign of conversation or appreciation or acknowledgement, that’s something else.”

I did a little internet searching ( about 2 minutes ) and come to find out its a replica of a statue in Washington DC.  The original was paid for exclusively by freed slaves and black veterans of the Union Army.

The statue is a replica of the Emancipation Memorial (or Freedman's Memorial) in Washington, DC. The original monument was paid for solely by former slaves, according to the National Park Service. 

"The campaign for the Freedmen's Memorial Monument to Abraham Lincoln, as it was to be known, was not the only effort of the time to build a monument to Lincoln; however, as the only one soliciting contributions exclusively from those who had most directly benefited from Lincoln's act of emancipation it had a special appeal ... The funds were collected solely from freed slaves (primarily from African American Union veterans)" - the park service explained. 

When the original one was dedicated the key note speaker was Frederick Douglass.  Douglass had some parts of it he didn't like, but evidently not enough to not make the speech.

To further recognize President Lincoln, a memorial statue was placed in the park in 1876. The statue was unveiled on April 14, the 11th anniversary of President Lincoln's death, with over 25,000 people in attendance. Frederick Douglass delivered the keynote address before President Ulysses S. Grant, his cabinet, and members of Congress. He discussed both his approval and disapproval of the monument.

https://www.nps.gov/cahi/learn/historyculture/cahi_lincoln.htm

Now we are cancelling freed slaves, black soldiers who laid their life on the line to free slaves, and Frederick Douglass because some people won't do their homework before getting outraged.

It is Boston, so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This one takes the cake.for me.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/06/12/abraham-lincoln-statue-boston-mayor-walsh/

I did a little internet searching ( about 2 minutes ) and come to find out its a replica of a statue in Washington DC.  The original was paid for exclusively by freed slaves and black veterans of the Union Army.

When the original one was dedicated the key note speaker was Frederick Douglass.  Douglass had some parts of it he didn't like, but evidently not enough to not make the speech.

https://www.nps.gov/cahi/learn/historyculture/cahi_lincoln.htm

Now we are cancelling freed slaves, black soldiers who laid their life on the line to free slaves, and Frederick Douglass because some people won't do their homework before getting outraged.

It is Boston, so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

Unless they're commies, they have to go.

YOU DON’T NEED A WEATHER VANE

FTA: 

The college’s athletic teams, for example, then known as the Indians, were renamed the Big Green in 1974. At that time the trustees declared the “use of the [Indian] symbol in any form to be inconsistent with present institutional and academic objectives of the College in advancing Native American education.”

One remnant of the college’s origins still sits atop the tower adorning Baker-Berry Library at the heart of the campus. It is a 600-pound copper weather vane that “depicts Dartmouth founder Eleazar Wheelock with a Native American smoking a long pipe near a barrel of rum and a tree.”

In the tear down all the things phase of the current revolution, the weather vane of course must go. The Dartmouth Daily reports:

You don’t need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows. Given the college’s disgraceful origins, I’m thinking it’s time for the whole damn thing to go.

49 minutes ago, B-Man said:

YOU DON’T NEED A WEATHER VANE

FTA: 

The college’s athletic teams, for example, then known as the Indians, were renamed the Big Green in 1974. At that time the trustees declared the “use of the [Indian] symbol in any form to be inconsistent with present institutional and academic objectives of the College in advancing Native American education.”

One remnant of the college’s origins still sits atop the tower adorning Baker-Berry Library at the heart of the campus. It is a 600-pound copper weather vane that “depicts Dartmouth founder Eleazar Wheelock with a Native American smoking a long pipe near a barrel of rum and a tree.”

In the tear down all the things phase of the current revolution, the weather vane of course must go. The Dartmouth Daily reports:

You don’t need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows. Given the college’s disgraceful origins, I’m thinking it’s time for the whole damn thing to go.

Canceleing Native Americans didn't go so well during the Indian Wars. Let's see how it works out this time.

5 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Canceleing Native Americans didn't go so well during the Indian Wars. Let's see how it works out this time.

...so what exactly is the end game of the "Cancel Culture/Big Pink Eraser" crowd?....going to profess my (legendary) ignorance here.....is this the progressives' way to relegate the alleged world's bullying superpower down to the level of a third world fraudulent country?....

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/19/2020 at 8:48 AM, B-Man said:

The Rangers is my team and has been since they moved to Arlington on 1972.  I have always thought it was a dumb name. First, why Texas? There was already a team in Houston. Then it was named after a law enforcement agency.  But what are ya gonna do if your team has a dumb name?  I also root for the Buffalo Bills.  A team with  a Buffalo on their helmet named after a guy that killed mass quantities of Buffalos.

I propose a new name. Arlington Friends of the Earth ?.

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

Now the Golden Tablet of Pharaoh Ahkmenrah can no longer bring him to life each night. ?

We live in crazy-times. Literally crazy. People are insane with their demands, and the businesses and government enabling the two-year-olds ain't helpin' things.  Let the kids hold their breath. Blue is a purdy color.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

OCEANIA HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH TEDDY ROOSEVELT:

● Shot: “I think that Teddy Roosevelt was a great American.”

—Hillary Clinton in a May 1, 2008 interview with Bill O’Reilly.

● Double-Shot: “It’s time to take a page from Teddy Roosevelt’s book and get our economy working for Americans again. That’s what I’ll do as president.”

—Hillary, as quoted in an October 28, 2015 Dow Jones Marketwatch.com article titled “Hillary Clinton wants to be Teddy Roosevelt.”

● Chaser: “Red paint was splashed at the statue of Theodore Roosevelt on the steps of the American Museum of Natural History early Thursday, according to cops.”

—The New York Post, October 26, 2017.

● Hangover: The Teddy Roosevelt statue will be removed from the Natural History Museum.

NewsDio, quoting the New York Times, today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

OCEANIA HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH TEDDY ROOSEVELT:

● Shot: “I think that Teddy Roosevelt was a great American.”

—Hillary Clinton in a May 1, 2008 interview with Bill O’Reilly.

● Double-Shot: “It’s time to take a page from Teddy Roosevelt’s book and get our economy working for Americans again. That’s what I’ll do as president.”

—Hillary, as quoted in an October 28, 2015 Dow Jones Marketwatch.com article titled “Hillary Clinton wants to be Teddy Roosevelt.”

● Chaser: “Red paint was splashed at the statue of Theodore Roosevelt on the steps of the American Museum of Natural History early Thursday, according to cops.”

—The New York Post, October 26, 2017.

● Hangover: The Teddy Roosevelt statue will be removed from the Natural History Museum.

NewsDio, quoting the New York Times, today.

This has gotten ridiculous.  What's next?  Dynamite Washington, Jefferson, and Roosevelt off the face of Mount Rushmore?  I'm sure somebody is butt hurt about Lincoln.  Blast him off too. 

• Like (+1) 3

Theodore Roosevelt...

DSC04749.JPG

Words from Theodore Roosevelt, firmly attached to a wall near the entrance of the Museum of Natural History,  dug up this morning on the occasion of the news that the TR statue will be removed from its sublime place of prominence in front of the museum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1