“Cancel” / Knee-Jerk Culture of 2020 and beyond

Cancel Culture Comes for the Word: ‘Chief’

We are in the middle of a crazy purge where anything that offends anyone is being canceled or stricken from the record.

Every where we turn around there’s another statue falling, another person losing their job because the mob has gotten them for things like being a stepmom or cracking knuckles.

At what point do people start saying “Enough,” this is insane? If we go by history when there have been manias in the past, there’s a reckoning coming or a pushback.

But apparently we’re not at that point yet, there’s another word that must be canceled for being offensive.

On the block? Chief.

The mayor of Duluth, Minnesota Emily Larson is moving on Monday to get rid of the word in any city job titles, claiming its offensive to Native Americans, proposing to change the name of the chief administrative officer to city administrator and chief financial officer to finance director.

From Fox News:

Duluth Mayor Emily Larson called on city council members to vote in approval “so that we have more inclusive leadership and less language that is rooted in hurt and offensive, intentional marginalization.”

Alicia Kozlowski, Duluth’s community relations officer, told the Star Tribune that “chief” is used as “a racial epithet, and it turns into a microaggression.” She said the city is trying to be proactive about the change before residents ask.

“I think that there are other titles that we have the opportunity to use to steer away from language that may put people down based off their race or culture,” said Kozlowski, who is a member of the Grand Portage and Fond du Lac Bands of Lake Superior Chippewa.

So the very use of the word, not in any way putting anyone down, but as a recognition of people’s position, indeed the responsibility of their position, is now in and of itself offensive?

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

One could easily make an argument that removing this woman or her caricature from the product is in itself a racist act.  Pretty sad that the removal is being planned. 

Frankly Pepsi might have more to gain business-wise and get some very positive PR by promoting her story and the product. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 3

More lunacy...

Cream of Wheat launches 'immediate review' of brand's packaging

B&G Foods, the maker of Cream of Wheat, announced Thursday that it would be reviewing the packaging of the longtime breakfast brand, the latest food company to do so after Quaker announced earlier in the week that it was retiring its Aunt Jemima logo because of its racist origins.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

It doesn't matter Jimmy........................NOTHING will appease the Leftist mob......................stop apologizing.

Jimmy Kimmel announces summer leave amid blackface controversy

ABC's Jimmy Kimmel on Thursday announced he will be taking the summer off after facing criticism over wearing blackface in a recurring skit he performed while working on "The Man Show" on Comedy Central.

Kimmel, as a co-host of the "The Man Show," performed a recurring skit that included him dressed in blackface as then-NBA star Karl Malone. Videos and photos of the skits on the show, which ran from 1999-2004, have been circulating online recently with calls for Kimmel to apologize.

"I'm taking this summer off to spend even more time with my family," Kimmel said on Thursday night from his home studio. "There's nothing wrong. I'm healthy, my family's healthy, I just need a couple of months off."

"While I'm gone, a cavalcade of very kind and capable people will be filling in for me," the 52-year-old added.

The announcement from Kimmel comes after rival "Tonight Show" host Jimmy Fallon recently apologized for a blackface skit he did on "Saturday Night Live" in 2000.

“In 2000, while on SNL, I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface,” Fallon said on Twitter in late May following the police killing of African-American George Floyd in Minneapolis. “There is no excuse for this. I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable.”

(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...

Now Ill just wait for the Dave Chapelle apology for his white face news anchor character...Ill wait..

chappelle_03_0301_act2.jpg

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, westside2 said:

It's white guilt. It's really simple. If they don't cancel shows that might trigger a liberal, they might be called a racist. Which is the worst thing anybody can call you. 

The liberals are Woke. 

being fired for calling black people derogatory terms and telling minorities to leave this country isn't "white guilt" you ***** moron. 

white people in this country are finally seeing consequences for their racist actions. and its beautiful 

Just now, Penfield45 said:

being fired for calling black people derogatory terms and telling minorities to leave this country isn't "white guilt" you ***** moron. 

white people in this country are finally seeing consequences for their racist actions. and its beautiful 

You really are a tard. It's the scary white racist who's keeping the black man down! 

You need to get out of lily white penfield once In a while. 

I'm not sure what hell your babbling about. I never said as anything about calling black people derogatory names or telling them to leave the country. Did you take your meds today?

2 minutes ago, westside2 said:

You really are a tard. It's the scary white racist who's keeping the black man down! 

You need to get out of lily white penfield once In a while. 

I'm not sure what hell your babbling about. I never said as anything about calling black people derogatory names or telling them to leave the country. Did you take your meds today?

I don't live in penfield lol

I don't even live in New York. western NY is a dump and I moved out a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The racist B word deserved to be cancelled. She's not woke... or even alive.

34 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I don't live in penfield lol

I don't even live in New York. western NY is a dump and I moved out a long time ago. 

Yet you're still an ignorant tool.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

It doesn't matter Jimmy........................NOTHING will appease the Leftist mob......................stop apologizing.

Jimmy Kimmel announces summer leave amid blackface controversy

ABC's Jimmy Kimmel on Thursday announced he will be taking the summer off after facing criticism over wearing blackface in a recurring skit he performed while working on "The Man Show" on Comedy Central.

Kimmel, as a co-host of the "The Man Show," performed a recurring skit that included him dressed in blackface as then-NBA star Karl Malone. Videos and photos of the skits on the show, which ran from 1999-2004, have been circulating online recently with calls for Kimmel to apologize.

"I'm taking this summer off to spend even more time with my family," Kimmel said on Thursday night from his home studio. "There's nothing wrong. I'm healthy, my family's healthy, I just need a couple of months off."

"While I'm gone, a cavalcade of very kind and capable people will be filling in for me," the 52-year-old added.

The announcement from Kimmel comes after rival "Tonight Show" host Jimmy Fallon recently apologized for a blackface skit he did on "Saturday Night Live" in 2000.

“In 2000, while on SNL, I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface,” Fallon said on Twitter in late May following the police killing of African-American George Floyd in Minneapolis. “There is no excuse for this. I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable.”

(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...

His buddy Howard will be next....the mob will continue eating its own.

3 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

yes, yes. Eat all of your own. Let the hate flow through you.

Poor Jimmy.....he thought he was going to be on the 'right side of history' by evolving into that which he used to mock.  Oh well.

p.s.  his Karl Malone character on the Man Show was flipping hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

By the way, when are we going to demand they change the racist name "Buffalo Bills"?

Everyone knows Buffalo Bill Cody mocked and demeaned Native Americans.   He didn't pay them a living wage either.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Knee jerk? The traitors were defeated over a hundred and fifty years ago, hustle them out now! 

The cancel culture: It’s NOT about the confederacy 

but you knew that. . . . . . Wait, it’s Tibs, no he couldn’t ?

• Like (+1) 1