PFT/Chris Simms Top 40 QB Rankings: Allen at #18, ahead of Mayfield, Darnold

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why?

Because if anyone wants to seriously argue that Will Grier has a stronger arm than Drew Lock then I have some magic beans for them. Deshaun Watson's arm supposedly scored below the minimum threshold of combine velocity for successful QBs. It is number I pay absolutely zero regard to. I don't think it is a test for anything. 

Josh Allen has a huge arm. So does Patrick Mahomes. Whatever the combine velocity numbers say. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because if anyone wants to seriously argue that Will Grier has a stronger arm than Drew Lock then I have some magic beans for them. Deshaun Watson's arm supposedly scored below the minimum threshold of combine velocity for successful QBs. It is number I pay absolutely zero regard to. I don't think it is a test for anything. 

Josh Allen has a huge arm. So does Patrick Mahomes. Whatever the combine velocity numbers say. 

It means Watson had an off day. Generally the numbers are fairly accurate for those QB's that have big arms.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

It means Watson had an off day. Generally the numbers are fairly accurate for those QB's that have big arms.

I am sorry I disagree. When I look at those numbers I see random all over the map. They are the first thing to start by ignoring IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Someone in his Twitter feed asked about Cam Newton and he said he's coming up, so that means Newton is gonna be ranked ahead of some other guys that, based on last season, he wasn't better than. I don't know what criteria he's taking into account here, but the last two seasons Cam has played like caca.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Someone in his Twitter feed asked about Cam Newton and he said he's coming up, so that means Newton is gonna be ranked ahead of some other guys that, based on last season, he wasn't better than. I don't know what criteria he's taking into account here, but the last two seasons Cam has played like caca.

I'd guess that he must have some reason to think Cam is now healthy.  

On 6/11/2020 at 9:05 AM, thebandit27 said:

18 seems about right to me. There’s probably an argument to slot him a notch or two higher, and there’s reason for anyone to knock him down a few slots as well.

18 is right. Plenty of room to grow.

Sims always has been a JA supporter.

I've never understood why a certain portion of "analysts" has been soo reluctant to recognize Josh has some of the best tools to come into the league in a long time, things you can't teach like size, athleticsm, raw arm strength.  It just feels like there's a sizable and vocal portion who decided he was going to be a bust before they ever really watched him much and won't give him an ounce of credit for anything.  Feels like if he was the exact same prospect coming out of a football factory college the entire narrative would be different about him.

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Newton was having the best year of his career before he got hurt two years ago. If he is healthy, watch out

• Like (+1) 1

I’m surprised that Rivers is ahead of him.  Considering that Brady is 15th and Brees isn’t in the top 10, Rivers should be outside of the top 20 based on last year.  I think he’s set up really well with the colts OL, 2 nice RBs and decent enough WR unit.....but allen should be higher based on how much he improved from 18-19 and the addition of diggs. 

6 hours ago, blacklabel said:

How so? He was solid in 2018.  Had a QB rating of 94.2.  Allen was 85.3 last year, and their rushing numbers were similar.

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Newton was having the best year of his career before he got hurt two years ago. If he is healthy, watch out

Similar to Dak, people want act like Cam is just average when in reality they’re exactly what Josh aspires to be.  Big, strong guys who came into the league as good runners but who struggled with accuracy throwing from the pocket.  

Cam maintained that style and has been successful but got beaten to a pulp.  Dak turned himself into a true pocket passer who can still really run when it’s there but who doesn’t rely too heavily on it.

• Like (+1) 1

He's 20-something as a passer and the 2nd best scrambler. I hope he can be a top 10 passer some day, but I'm concerned. I respect Simms' opinions and I like listening to him. He says accuracy can be fixed, but I've never seen that happen before and Josh can't seem to hit the deep ball with any regularity often missing by several yards. Even his short range accuracy was ranked 37th for the past season. If he becomes the 1st QB to go from bottom to near top in accuracy and the game slows down for him I will be elated.

3 hours ago, Billl said:

Similar to Dak, people want act like Cam is just average when in reality they’re exactly what Josh aspires to be.  Big, strong guys who came into the league as good runners but who struggled with accuracy throwing from the pocket.  

Cam maintained that style and has been successful but got beaten to a pulp.  Dak turned himself into a true pocket passer who can still really run when it’s there but who doesn’t rely too heavily on it.

1 other point -- Dak has an excellent OL and one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL.

Edited by GreggTX

13 hours ago, Billl said:

Someone on here actually argued that Cam wasn’t a good pick for the Panthers. Lol.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Billl said:

Bills fans: Cam - MVP, Heisman, nothing soecial

lamar - MVP, Heisman, no way he keeps it up

Dak - 5,000 yards, great W-L record, not worth it

Allen - future star

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Billl said:

How so? He was solid in 2018.  Had a QB rating of 94.2.  Allen was 85.3 last year, and their rushing numbers were similar.

His arm seems to be shot. Even when be could've played last season they rolled with Kyle Allen and then let Cam go this year. Also drafted Will Grier. I just think the injuries have really caught up with him. 

16 hours ago, blacklabel said:

His arm seems to be shot. Even when be could've played last season they rolled with Kyle Allen and then let Cam go this year. Also drafted Will Grier. I just think the injuries have really caught up with him. 

That’s last season.  You said he’s played poorly for the last 2 seasons, and that isn’t the case at all.

5 hours ago, Billl said:

That’s last season.  You said he’s played poorly for the last 2 seasons, and that isn’t the case at all.

Gee whiz, Billllllll. Yes, he was decent in 2018 but the Panthers still sat home for the playoffs. The injuries looked like they really caught up to him last season. He was missing open guys and the ball didn't have the same zip it usually does. He's kinda been inconsistent over his entire career, so perhaps I mistook 2018 for a different season. Glad we got the Cam Newton Security Squad in you to keep everyone in line.