PFT/Chris Simms Top 40 QB Rankings: Allen at #18, ahead of Mayfield, Darnold

55 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think it’s really a pointless discussion... having enough arm strength in the league is all that matters.... arm strength means zippo if your not accurate with it. 

Nobody is saying it's the most important thing. We're just discussing it. I don't think it's any less pointless than other topics about players.

Accuracy is great, unless you are timid and don't throw the ball down the field. Then you are just a check down QB. You actually need a little bit of everything to be a good QB, and arm strength is part of that.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yeah, I don't know why people think Mahomes' arm is legendary. His talent yes, his arm strength great but not the best

Mayfield has a pretty big arm. He threw 59 MPH if I remember correctly.

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Nobody is saying it's the most important thing. We're just discussing it. I don't think it's any less pointless than other topics about players.

Accuracy is great, unless you are timid and don't throw the ball down the field. Then you are just a check down QB. You actually need a little bit of everything to be a good QB, and arm strength is part of that.

Mayfield has a pretty big arm. He threw 59 MPH if I remember correctly.

I think there’s three tiers of arm strengths.

-Unacceptable arm strength (Pennington, Fitz): simply cannot make all of the throws without a breakdown in mechanics, like Fitzy’s body shrimping. Can compensate with varying degrees of success but will always be limited.

-Acceptable arm strength (Watson, Jimmy G):   Can usually make every throw with the necessary velocity unless their mechanics breakdown due to other reasons. They will not be able to “cheat” by overtly relying on their arm strength.

-Exceptional arm strength (Allen, Mahomes, Flacco, Cutler): Absolute cannons. Not only can they make every throw, but they can make throws off the back of their foot and across their body that most QB’s can’t. That doesn’t mean that those plays are always positive, but they can generate enough velocity with their arms that they have a chance.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I really need some REAL football to start soon. I don't think I can take any more ranks, lists or re-drafts.

Amen, brother/sister! We need some Bills positivity back in our lives.

And I'll take 66% over 66 mph any day. Which doesn't mean he can't get there. I just mean a 70 yard bomb doesn't count unless it gets completed.

Simms has Taysom Hill ahead of Trubisky.  That's ridiculous.  

Did he update on the Cowboys 40 trillion Dak offer?  I think when they took out Simms's spleen, most of his cerebral cortex was in that specimen.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Obviously... I think having a big arm is somewhat overrated. Yes it’s nice, but it’s not necessary to be a good or even great QB in this league. Look at Brady, I wouldn’t say he had a big arm(although it got much better throughout the course of his career). Accuracy, awareness, and decision making top arm strength as long as you are capable of making all the NFL throws. 

I think it's underrated. The second someone mentions it you have a bunch of people shoot it down like it's not important at all.

The truth is somewhere in-between. Arm strength is the most important thing if you have a QB who has a noodle arm.

Truth is you need good arm strength in the NFL, among many other things.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Simms has Taysom Hill ahead of Trubisky.  That's ridiculous.  

Did he update on the Cowboys 40 trillion Dak offer?  I think when they took out Simms's spleen, most of his cerebral cortex was in that specimen.

Taysom shouldn't even be ranked. He has only thrown a handful of passes in the NFL. He's a gadget guy.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yeah, I don't know why people think Mahomes' arm is legendary. His talent yes, his arm strength great but not the best

Mahomes has turned out to be a possibly a Star QB, but his arm is nothing compared to Allen.  I’m getting sick of the Allen bashing.  Someone please report the Mortensen comments.  As said before, he’s a reasonable guy and said the Allen bashing is over the top.

Its in the past, and yes, it would have been great to get Mahomes as we had that spot, but it’s over.  We also could have probably had Wilson in Seattle Rodgers in GB, and so on.  I keep saying I’m cautiously optimistic, but he probably will end being great.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yes, they said Jackson for run and Mahomes for arm

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Didn't Allen set a combine record for most velocity on the football? Don't think Mahomes has a stronger arm. But there probably isn't a big difference.

Edit: Looked it up. Allen threw 62 MPH which was a combine record. Mahomes only threw 55, which seems only above average.

Yea allen definitely has a stronger arm than Mahomes

Mahomes has great arm strength but Allen has Elway cross strength

I mean it’s his opinion but there are some wild takes. Goff is way too low. Why is Hill, who wasn’t even good in college on the list? He has Stidham ahead of Tua???

his father was terrible as an analyst.  He seems to have passed that trait down. 

27 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

This. He doesn't play the position. That'd be like ranking Foles among the WRs, because he caught a TD pass in a Super Bowl.

It saddens me that you used Foles as an example instead of Allen.  

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean it’s his opinion but there are some wild takes. Goff is way too low. Why is Hill, who wasn’t even good in college on the list? He has Stidham ahead of Tua???

his father was terrible as an analyst.  He seems to have passed that trait down. 

Gotta have some hot takes thrown in there to get the hate (clicks).

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re right but nothing make less sense than the Tayson Hill love fest.  Nice gadget player but come on. 

I don't get it either.  If he was that good would have been him and not Teddy B playing those five or six games last year.

• Like (+1) 1

Arm strength is the most overrated attribute until you don't have enough of it

the way Josh zips balls in between the 15 and 20 yard distance his arm strength is absolutely his best attribute

It was John elway's too

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Allen is absolutely a "mid-tier" QB at the moment.  No issues with Simms' rankings, and I also agree that JA is going to shoot up those rankings shortly.

There's no argument about him being a mid tier QB now.  The hope of every Bills fan is that, given his college background and the fact that he came into the league far less prepared for success than most elite QB prospects, he still has plenty of room on his learning curve to improve and all kinds of traits to suggest he will in terms of intelligence, coachability and high end physical ability.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Arm strength is the most overrated attribute until you don't have enough of it

the way Josh zips balls in between the 15 and 20 yard distance his arm strength is absolutely his best attribute

It was John elway's too

Agreed.  It’s why Barkley isn’t good enough and why I worry about Fromm 

that said what separates guys with big arms from guys with big arms who become good QBs is touch. Mahomes has an absolutely cannon but it’s those touch passes he makes that makes him so good.

• Like (+1) 1