Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2020-2021

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, CIrvine said:

Very odd to me.

Well comfort with Krueger.

And clearly Hall didn't get the offers he may normally have had during a non Covid year. Not like he had an oustanding year last year as well.

No better way to rehab your value by playing alongside Jack Eichel lol!

14 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Hall is looking to one year with Eichel to boost his value for 2021

Doubt it.

It's not like he is going to bamboozle GM's around the league because of one season possibly playing on Eichel's wing.

35 minutes ago, Beast said:

Doubt it.

It's not like he is going to bamboozle GM's around the league because of one season possibly playing on Eichel's wing.

It's exactly what he's doing.  Also, with the salary cap reduction going on, he may not have had a lot of other options and 2021 was always going to be kind of a throwaway year for him anyway.

So he goes to Buffalo who actually has the money to pay him, plays with Jack and gets that worked into the K, and has a statistically good season after a slightly poor one last year to work from for his next, big, real K going forward, not with the Sabres.

What do the Sabres get out of it?  Well, he might help us end the playoff drought, but I doubt that actually.

But we will be able to dump him for solid assets probably including a first round draft pick at the trade deadline.  This is where I expect his Sabre career to end.

This also helps bring back some fans, probably, to one of the most alienated and dysfunctional franchises in the league.

I see all parties benefiting from the deal.  

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's exactly what he's doing.  Also, with the salary cap reduction going on, he may not have had a lot of other options and 2021 was always going to be kind of a throwaway year for him anyway.

So he goes to Buffalo who actually has the money to pay him, plays with Jack and gets that worked into the K, and has a statistically good season after a slightly poor one last year to work from for his next, big, real K going forward, not with the Sabres.

What do the Sabres get out of it?  Well, he might help us end the playoff drought, but I doubt that actually.

But we will be able to dump him for solid assets probably including a first round draft pick at the trade deadline.  This is where I expect his Sabre career to end.

This also helps bring back some fans, probably, to one of the most alienated and dysfunctional franchises in the league.

I see all parties benefiting from the deal.  

Again, no that isn't what he's doing. 

Have you ever stopped to think Hall

wants to be here long-term and there is the expansion draftvnext season and the Sabres can only protect so many players? Hall will be a UFA at the time of the expansion draft next season and the Sabres will not have to protect him.

And Hall has a NMC, NTC clause in this contract so that theiry of yours that they will move him doesn't hold water.

The Sabres are already talking about Hall being here long-term. He will be unless thos season totally goes south.

And, again, GM's aren't going to back up the Brinks truck because of one season with Jack Eichel. GM's around the league have had many years to see whT exactly Taylor Hall is.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Beast said:

Again, no that isn't what he's doing. 

Have you ever stopped to think Hall

wants to be here long-term and there is the expansion draftvnext season and the Sabres can only protect so many players? Hall will be a UFA at the time of the expansion draft next season and the Sabres will not have to protect him.

And Hall has a NMC, NTC clause in this contract so that theiry of yours that they will move him doesn't hold water.

The Sabres are already talking about Hall being here long-term. He will be unless thos season totally goes south.

And, again, GM's aren't going to back up the Brinks truck because of one season with Jack Eichel. GM's around the league have had many years to see whT exactly Taylor Hall is.

So he's willing to risk injury on a one year deal just to help a team with the expansion draft?  He's rolling the dice on earning a much bigger contract and there's nothing wrong with that.  Still, it's a big game.  Strangely enough, he made it on the same day that Dak Prescott's ankle exploded.

If it was actually about the expansion draft, which player exactly are they saving because of it?  Looking over the roster, you're getting down to the likes of Thompson/Mittelstadt/Girgensons.  I really don't see a "you'd hate to lose that guy" beyond the limit of what we can protect among the forwards.

Eichel

Reinhart

Skinner (required to protect)

Okposo (required to protect)

Olofsson

They can protect 7 forwards, unless they want to save more than 3 defensemen.  I can't see them too worried about any of the D beyond Dahlin/Jokiharju, so they'll stick to just 3 D.  So unless we add another long-term forward or 2, Hall being added to that protection list would still leave an open slot for whichever of the two kids steps up this year.  I guess you can now protect both worry-free, but I don't expect both Thompson and Mittelstadt to both thrive this year.

"Buffalo, Taylor Hall here! It’s been a crazy past couple of days for me, but I can’t tell you how excited I am to be a Buffalo Sabres. I hope I get to play in front of you great fans soon. I was going to smash into a fold-up table for my intro, but it’s probably safest if I don’t. Hopefully we get playing hockey again sometime soon, but until then, Go Bills."

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/newest-sabre-taylor-hall-to-buffalo-i-was-going-to-smash-into-a-fold-up/article_ab79cd04-0cb5-11eb-af3a-571eedc1fe81.html

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Ahhhhhh...the risk injury arguement.

Name the last 3 good NHL players that got hurt in their contract year and lost out on big paydays.

They don't typically get to that point.  You look across the recent history of this league and you'll find a long list of long-term contracts since the money is guaranteed.  This one is a rarity.  Do you seriously think the expansion draft actually crossed Hall's mind for even a second?  That's a far more outlandish theory than anything else stated here.

And it may not necessarily have been in contract years, but I can think of several NHL players who lost significant amounts of money due to injuries.  My mind immediately goes to head injuries and to guys like Pat LaFontaine, Paul Kariya, and Eric Lindros.  I'd be much more interested in look at the guys who ended their career fairly recently due to injury but still soaked in multi-year contracts after that injury:

-Marc Savard (played 25 games out of a 7 year $28 million contract)

-David Clarkson (played roughly 2 years worth of a 7 year $37 contract)

-Rick DiPietro still looking at 10 more years of checks from the Islanders

No surprise there. Seemed like a foregone conclusion he was going to Vegas after the Blues signed Krug. 

I think this currently puts LV about $7M over the salary cap. A trade or two are definitely coming.

edit- that didn’t take long.

Edited by BillsFan4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.