Biggest concert “miss”, biggest concert “letdown”?

4_kidd_4

3 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I second this.  At our Pepsi Center show in Denver, "Diamond Dave" so many lyrics so he spent most of the time holding his microphone to the crowd.  Their sound guy must have just turned every knob up to maximum and called it a day - it was earsplittingly loud.  Basically spent about 100 bucks to hear one decent EVH solo.  Pissed me off so much that to this day I will tune to a different radio station whenever VH comes on. 

That's a bummer.  I never got to see Van Halen.  I had tickets to see them in Virginia during their For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour.  I was in the Navy and they assigned me to take a course for my job.  It was night school.  So I had to sell my ticket.

The only way I'd see them now is if Sammy was singing and Michael Anthony was back.  Otherwise, no effin' way.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I always thought it would be fun to see James Taylor. We saw him at Jones Beach 2 or 3 years ago and he was simply awful. His performance was lackluster and he even told boring stories between songs. We left halfway through the show.

He's getting old.....I remember seeing him there about 20 years ago with my ex.  

Also saw CSN&Y and the Eagles on their first reunion tour at Jones Beach.....such a great venue.

Passed on:  Pink Floyd.  Thought I could catch them next time.  Then they broke up.

Honorable Mention:  I wanted to see ELO last year but could not fit into the schedule.

Disappointed:  ZZ Top.  Saw them in Cork Ireland - they mailed the show in.  I had seen them previously them and the show was much better.

I had tickets as a senior in high school to the Beastie Boys and Rage, then Mike D. had a bicycling accident and they cancelled the tour.  I also had tickets to the Rage show this summer but well, you know.  I have never seen Radiohead and I would say I would like to seem them more than anyone else currently.  

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

What tour did you catch NIN?  I've been super impressed with their shows.

1995ish?.?. Thinking deeper (it is a difficult evening to recollect) I believe it was Marilynn Manson that brought us down that night. We had super crappy seats, were way tooooo dowwwwwn, if you catch my drift, and the sound quality sucked. Others at the show likely had a better experience. Just not us, not that night. I love NIN and like MM but we all left disappointed that night. The more I think about it, probably no fault of the bands.

44 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Passed on:  Pink Floyd.  Thought I could catch them next time.  Then they broke up.

Honorable Mention:  I wanted to see ELO last year but could not fit into the schedule.

Disappointed:  ZZ Top.  Saw them in Cork Ireland - they mailed the show in.  I had seen them previously them and the show was much better.

How recent were the ZZ shows? I had the same experience with them with the bad show (flat out awful that night)  around 3-4 years ago and the good show a few years before that one.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

He's getting old.....I remember seeing him there about 20 years ago with my ex.  

Also saw CSN&Y and the Eagles on their first reunion tour at Jones Beach.....such a great venue.

It can be if you luck out and the weather is good. I once saw CSN there and it was freaking pouring!!!  Another time I saw Furthur and sat in the expensive seats and it was one of the best shows that I ever attended. We saw Sting, Lynard Skynard and many other bands there and it is a good venue, weather permitting.

We have tickets for Alanis in July that cost a lot of money. The truth is, I don't want to go. Would you? I can't imagine sitting next to unknown people who are infected with who knows what. It is one thing to do it at work. This s%^$t is very confusing. 

27 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

It can be if you luck out and the weather is good. I once saw CSN there and it was freaking pouring!!!  Another time I saw Furthur and sat in the expensive seats and it was one of the best shows that I ever attended. We saw Sting, Lynard Skynard and many other bands there and it is a good venue, weather permitting.

We have tickets for Alanis in July that cost a lot of money. The truth is, I don't want to go. Would you? I can't imagine sitting next to unknown people who are infected with who knows what. It is one thing to do it at work. This s%^$t is very confusing. 

Yeah...good point about the weather.  I think we were 3 for 3 on that score.  Hard to beat on a warm summer night.

At this rate it may not even be open by July.

2 hours ago, T&C said:

Are you saying that he was married to Carly Simon?!

Now you know who that song was really about......

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jones Beach is hit or miss. On a nice summer night it doesn't get much better. But the rainy nights are rough and even the wind can ruin the sound. But if you live in the area it's not summer unless you get to at least one show, good or bad.

• Like (+1) 2

Miss.. ELP at the Peace Bridge Exhibition Center  Aug. 1971.  I headed to college in Ohio that morning

and my buddies from Lewiston who went began their long time ELP fandom that day.  Incredible concert.

Letdown.  E L Powell at Richfield coliseum  in Cleveland.   The concert was great.  The crowd was non existent.

Letdown 2  (sorry Rico).  Bob Dylan in Charleston WV.  The mumbling of Bob made the concert unbearable for me. 

Missed: Tom Petty. He spent a week playing in Berkeley a month before he died. Thought about going, but figured next time. That sucked. Was always a big fan.

Regretted: George Strait. Went as part of a group, Super Bowl weekend in LV in 2010 (he plays that weekend every year there apparently).The guy has no showmanship whatsoever. He played in a square, sang a couple songs in corner...moseyed to another corner, sang a couple more and so on for a couple hours. Plus he has an extensive catalog of songs. You thought you know George? Oh heck no. Only die-hard fans know all his songs. Huge disappointment. Reba played before him and saved the evening. Otherwise, it was a snooze fest. 

Edited by 707BillsFan

On 4/24/2020 at 10:50 AM, Success said:

2) This is sacrilege, because I absolutely love this man's music, but Springsteen was a disappointment for me.   I like a nice, tight show that leaves me wanting a little more. I wanted no more at all after seeing Bruce.  Almost 4 hours. It felt endless, and just wore me out.  

What Bruce show did you go to?  

Another miss: The Grateful Dead at Wrigley Field, 1995, which turned out to be Jerry's last public performance. My wife was seven months pregnant at the time and B.B. King was playing a local festival, so we decided to see him instead. We'd seen the Dead a few times before, but hadn't seen B.B. Still, if I had known ...

42 minutes ago, bbb said:

What Bruce show did you go to?  

It was way back - "Born in the USA" tour @ the Carrier Dome.  I think around '88?

It was just too long. He's a great performer/musician and the band was fantastic, but it went about 2 hours over for me.  

3 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Missed: Tom Petty. He spent a week playing in Berkeley a month before he died. Thought about going, but figured next time. That sucked. Was always a big fan.

I saw him and the Heartbreakers live here around 2005? It sounded EXACTLY like his studio recordings of the Greatest hits album. No quarrels with that night. Damn him and the band were perfect.

And the Black Crowes opened for them! Tasty.

• Like (+1) 1

Biggest Regret: I'll go a little off the books here and say George Carlin. I don't really have any music concert regrets, but I greatly regret passing on a ticket to see Carlin on his final tour. What a mistake on my part.

Biggest Miss: Grateful Dead 50: Fare Thee Well in Chicago. Don't get me wrong, the weekend was great fun. Deadheads took over the city of Chicago, the weather was perfect, it was an historic and record-setting event (it broke the Soldier Field attendance record THREE NIGHTS IN A ROW!), but musically? It was...just fine. Nothing to write home about.