NFL Preparing for all Options: Including No Fans

TroutDog

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/04/15/nfl-empty-stadiums-sports-return/

The article touches on all of the major leagues. Glad to hear they’re considering all options and listening to health professionals above all else. 

EDIT: I shared this as a manner for others to see what the NFL and other leagues are looking at. It was NOT intended for people to spread disinformation or anecdotal evidence based on their ‘favorite expert’. Please let’s keep this to the sports arena, preferably Bills and Sabres. Thanks. ? 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 3

The problem is the players. Without a vaccine, it is likely inevitable that a player will test positive during the season. What happens to that team and that locker room?

If they get players to sign a waiver and the NFLPA goes for it I guess it could happen. Would you want a season to have happened if Mitch Morris gets COVID and our entire offense is out for 2-3 weeks and essentially wastes the season anyway?

I know we all want this to happen but it is problematic. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The problem is the players. Without a vaccine, it is likely inevitable that a player will test positive during the season. What happens to that team and that locker room?

If they get players to sign a waiver and the NFLPA goes for it I guess it could happen. Would you want a season to have happened if Mitch Morris gets COVID and our entire offense is out for 2-3 weeks and essentially wastes the season anyway?

I know we all want this to happen but it is problematic. 

Mitch Morris? 

• Haha (+1) 2

my first thought was that playing in front of no fans would be bad for the Bills, seeing as we’d lose that patented Buffalo home-field advantage and they seem to really, really love the fanbase (more so than pretty much every team in the league).  But then I think of their home/away split last season...

• Like (+1) 1

I believe it would be the right decision if they can pull it off. Like Mike Trout said in the article, there are tons of hurdles but, selfishly, I’d like sports to come back. 

Should the new pin-prick test come out soon then it could be a possibility...albeit without fans in the stands. 

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I believe it would be the right decision if they can pull it off. Like Mike Trout said in the article, there are tons of hurdles but, selfishly, I’d like sports to come back. 

Should the new pin-prick test come out soon then it could be a possibility...albeit without fans in the stands. 

Trout, I think you’re comments are plausible.  If they have an accurate rapid test, you can see players and staff getting tested before any contact in practices, and games.  The fans in the stands I don’t believe will happen.  They won’t take any chances unless they have a vaccine which is doubtful.  My father unfortunately because of his age doesn’t know why they aren’t using more widespread the hydroxychloroquine as a treatment.  I told him, there are serious risks of cardiac and retinal problems so only being used on the most sick.

We just don’t have an effective treatment yet.  I love football as much as all of you, but not at the risk of this pandemic starting up again given the assumption things tail off over the summer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Sports and concerts are done for 2020

Some concerts are happening now...then televised or put on the web. People can get creative instead of simply cratering. 

Edited by TroutDog

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Sports and concerts are done for 2020

I think you’re correct here. With both the mayors in LA and NYC, the two largest sports and concert venues in the country hinting at that eventuality, the writing is on the wall for sure. 

But it’s nothing we can’t handle. 

I have been trying to picture this. MLB will be the first league to give this a shot. It probably works fine for baseball since it's a quiet crowd. Football would be hard to imagine in an empty stadium. It would be like watching a scrimmage but where the game had meaning. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think you’re correct here. With both the mayors in LA and NYC, the two largest sports and concert venues in the country hinting at that eventuality, the writing is on the wall for sure. 

But it’s nothing we can’t handle. 

I know i am just optimistic, but i think it is way to early to call that yet. I mean we are 4 months from training camp, 5 from games. Lord knows what all the computer and AI in this world can do with treatment options. I think i am in the great majority of people in the middle on this thing...not a hox or overblown, but at some point the risk/reward becomes to great and we open things up soon..and we build herd immunity 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know i am just optimistic, but i think it is way to early to call that yet. I mean we are 4 months from training camp, 5 from games. Lord knows what all the computer and AI in this world can do with treatment options. I think i am in the great majority of people in the middle on this thing...not a hox or overblown, but at some point the risk/reward becomes to great and we open things up soon..and we build herd immunity 

You mean people predictably ramping up the doom and gloom during the worst week of the virus in the US, talking about events 5-6 months away, guaranteeing things about events 8months away, even as best case scenarios were slashed into fractions of what was thought just two weeks ago, might not be the most sage and informed on this topic??

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

my first thought was that playing in front of no fans would be bad for the Bills, seeing as we’d lose that patented Buffalo home-field advantage and they seem to really, really love the fanbase (more so than pretty much every team in the league).  But then I think of their home/away split last season...

Yep. The Bills feel pressure when playing in front of the home fans.

My question is do we really lose a year of our Super Bowl window if there is no season? Does this count as an accrued season with contracts? That would literally be the Billsiest thing in history.

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yep. The Bills feel pressure when playing in front of the home fans.

My question is do we really lose a year of our Super Bowl window if there is no season?

Yes - but so do all the other teams who were in that window ;)