Kiper Mock 4.0 - Bills take Okwara at 54

10 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Do you take Lewis from Bama instead or pass on both until 86?

I think Lewis is better value at the spot but I don't like him for the Bills as an edge guy. I think in a 4-3 he is a strong side linebacker. I think his best fit is as an outside backer in a 3-4. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think the Bills trade up for an edge rusher that falls.

Who are the options to fall? Chaisson and Gross-Matos are the only ones that come to mind and I don’t see either falling that far, but what do I know 

54 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Dane Brugler of The Athletic gave Okwara  a third / fourth round grade.    Go figure...

STRENGTHS:   Explosive upfield speed…nimble bender with twitchy muscles to work tight spaces…athletic cornering skills to skim the outside shoulder of the blocker, flattening his path to the quarterback…uses the energy in his hands to convert speed to power…experienced dropping at the snap and covering space…outstanding play range, hitting his top speed quickly and chasing down plays…sees things quickly as an off-ball defender…shows a knack for finding the football mid-tackle to force fumbles…moldable body type with the length to gain ground…earned captain status as a senior and showed improved leadership in 2019. 

WEAKNESSES:   Pass rush arsenal lacks savvy…unrefined handwork and doesn’t consistently go anywhere when he unleashes them…relies more on motor, not instincts, and needs better efficiency with his rush sequence…below average run defender and needs to set a harder edge…not a steady point-of-attack player and spends too much time attached to blocks…outstanding athlete, but struggles to finish in space and plays too hot, leading to missed tackles…gives tremendous effort one play and then spotty effort the next…still has growing up to do, according to scouts…missed the second half of his senior year with a fractured left fibula (November 2019), requiring surgery. 

SUMMARY:   A two-year starter at Notre Dame, Okwara lined up primarily as a stand-up rusher in Clark Lea’s hybrid 4-3 scheme, rushing from both sides. He was only 215 pounds when he arrived in South Bend and has come a long way in his development, although he is still far from reaching his ceiling. Okwara screams off the edge with the speed that makes quarterbacks uncomfortable, using that same athleticism to drop and make plays away from the line of scrimmage. He often appears aimless in his rush plan with erratic hands and too many “almost” plays on his tape. Overall, Okwara is an inconsistent run defender with strength and consistency questions, but he is an exceptional athlete with a projectable body, projecting as a high risk, high reward pass rusher.  

GRADE: 3rd-4th Round 

Grades are all over the map on the DEs this year.  There are very few really explosive guys in the draft beyond Young and those that are pretty athletic have other questions.  There are guys with good college production, but lacking top notch athletic attributes like Epenesa, Weaver, Anae, and some guys with other questions, but some explosiveness like Okwara and Lewis.

i don’t see any big trade up in round 2 because I don’t think they will want to part with their 3rd to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’m sorry, but I don’t trust any player from Notre Dame

I was kind of coming here to say the same thing. I guess I’ve talked myself into Claypool’s freakish combination of size and speed. I’m not there with Okwara. The next ND guy I’ll probably talk myself into is Troy Pride because of the track background. I just need something to cling to when it comes to a prospect. I am struggling with what to cling to with Okwara. He feels a little “Maybinish” (ducks).

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kiper gave the Bills pass rushing edge Julian Okwara from Notre Dame and here’s his explanation for the decision:

“Okwara, who broke his leg in November and didn’t work out at the combine, has some versatility as a defensive end in a 4-3 defense or an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He’d be an end in Buffalo. The Bills added veteran Mario Addison to take over for Shaq Lawson, who left in free agency, but there are plenty of reps in the rotation for Okwara,” Kiper wrote.

Okwara finished his career at Notre Dame with 14.5 sacks in four seasons. His best year came in 2018 when he posted eight sacks and 12.5 tackles for a loss in 12 starts.

Edge rusher is a popular position in mock drafts across the Internet for the Bills at No. 54. Another top option at this spot is Alabama’s Terrell Lewis, who is still on the board when Buffalo makes its pick

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-espns-mel-kiper-gives-buffalo-bills-pass-rusher-in-mock-draft-40.html

Love the font size. Didn't have to use my readers. Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

i don’t see any big trade up in round 2 because I don’t think they will want to part with their 3rd to do so.

Actually, I see it the other way. 

I expect a trade up to the 40-44 range since there will surely be a guy they've given a first round grade to who'll slip becuse of the virus-disrupted draft prep for so many teams.    For example, I like Joe B's idea of trading 54 and 86 to Indy for their 44 and 122 (roughly equal point values in the draft trade chart)...

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Lewis is better value at the spot but I don't like him for the Bills as an edge guy. I think in a 4-3 he is a strong side linebacker. I think his best fit is as an outside backer in a 3-4. 

You're probably right, but I'd take Lewis in a minute if were there.  His injury history might cause that.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m sorry, but I don’t trust any player from Notre Dame

Why?

Q nelson 

Jaylon smith 

Harrison smith 

Golden tate 

Will fuller

Tyler eifert 

Z martin

N martin

Ronnie Stanley 

Tuitt

Tranquil

Julian love 

ND has put out some quality players last 5 to 7 years. I can only think of one player drafted high who busted from ND recently, michael floyd.. and that had more to do with addiction and attitude than his actual game 

Edited by Jerboski

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Actually, I see it the other way. 

I expect a trade up to the 40-44 range since there will surely be a guy they've given a first round grade to who'll slip becuse of the virus-disrupted draft prep for so many teams.    For example, I like Joe B's idea of trading 54 and 86 to Indy for their 44 and 122 (roughly equal point values in the draft trade chart)...

Of course, it depends on who is available and if you can find a willing partner.  

I question the assertion that there will be someone available in that range whom Bills have a 1st round grade on.  Most things I’ve read suggest that in most years there are really only give or take 20 true first round graded prospects.  That doesn’t negate your idea if you substitute “someone who the Bills have graded much higher than other remaining prospects” into the sentence.

Still, I don’t think Beane is going to be keen on going without a 3rd round pick.  

I think the trade concepts will involve trading 4th or later picks and I think it would have to be someone pretty special for them to even want to trade their 4th.  Of course, that is just my view...

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What am I missing when I watch Lewis?  I didn’t see a lot to get excited about beyond his build and athleticism.

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What am I missing when I watch Lewis?  I didn’t see a lot to get excited about beyond his build and athleticism.

I don't think a lot to be honest. I think speed, size, potential. Technique wise he is raw beyond words and his football instincts while not terrible could still do with refinement. I honestly think he needs to play off the ball where he can just get downhill and attack the line of scrimmage. If he plays on the line I think he will get clogged up with blockers and lacks the technique to disengage and if you ask him to be out there reading, reacting and covering I am not sure he will excel in that either. The way McDermott got the best out of Zo after struggling to work him out the first half of 2017 was to just line him up at Sam and say "run towards the ball". That is what I think I'd do with Lewis. As a pass rusher I don't see it. 

22 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Of course, it depends on who is available and if you can find a willing partner.  

I question the assertion that there will be someone available in that range whom Bills have a 1st round grade on.  Most things I’ve read suggest that in most years there are really only give or take 20 true first round graded prospects.  That doesn’t negate your idea if you substitute “someone who the Bills have graded much higher than other remaining prospects” into the sentence.

Still, I don’t think Beane is going to be keen on going without a 3rd round pick.  

I think the trade concepts will involve trading 4th or later picks and I think it would have to be someone pretty special for them to even want to trade their 4th.  Of course, that is just my view...

Joe Marino on Locked on Bills/The Draft Network studied him and hates Terrell Lewis as an option for the Bills too

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah taking a 6'5" 262lb edge rusher, who took plenty of snaps with his hand in the dirt, and playing him as an off the ball linebacker sounds like a great idea.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Dane Brugler of The Athletic gave Okwara  a third / fourth round grade.    Go figure...

WEAKNESSES:   Pass rush arsenal lacks savvy…unrefined handwork and doesn’t consistently go anywhere when he unleashes them…relies more on motor, not instincts, and needs better efficiency with his rush sequence…below average run defender and needs to set a harder edge…not a steady point-of-attack player and spends too much time attached to blocks…outstanding athlete, but struggles to finish in space and plays too hot, leading to missed tackles…gives tremendous effort one play and then spotty effort the next…still has growing up to do, according to scouts…missed the second half of his senior year with a fractured left fibula (November 2019), requiring surgery. 

SUMMARY:  Overall, Okwara is an inconsistent run defender with strength and consistency questions, but he is an exceptional athlete with a projectable body, projecting as a high risk, high reward pass rusher.  

GRADE: 3rd-4th Round 

Yea, no.

Nevamind.

2 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Yeah taking a 6'5" 262lb edge rusher, who took plenty of snaps with his hand in the dirt, and playing him as an off the ball linebacker sounds like a great idea.

Well I wouldn't do that. If I was a 4-3 team I wouldn't draft him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Epenesa?    He seems like he's falling over the past month...

I'm not high on Epenesa either. the guy is strong as an ox...the problem is that moves like an ox plowing a field. I don't see him getting a lot of consistent pressure on the QB in the pros (Of course, I'm not a scout or GM).

So what is he in the NFL? A run-stopping DE in a 4-3 on obvious running downs? Kicked inside to DT on obvious passing downs? Do you spend a high draft pick on him if he really is one of these two things.

The guy has the strength and skill to play in the NFL. Probably great as a back-up because his floor is pretty high. But I wouldn't want to use a 1st or 2nd on him since I can't see that much of a ceiling.