Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CowgirlsFan

RIP Tom Dempsey

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Quite possibly the coldest I have ever been at a game. 

I always remember the last game at War Memorial as the coldest I’ve been at a Bills game. I believe we played the Lions to a tie? Temperature wise it probably wasn’t even that cold but it was damp and dreary. Miserable for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

RIP Tom. 
 

Many forget he played for the Bills. Outside of wide right, might have had the biggest miss in Bills history. 
 

79 Opener against the Dolphins. 


Sitting in the upper deck, totally drenched, when he missed that. By half a foot.

 

Ugh.

 

RIP,  Mr.Dempsey.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first game I ever went to in what was then Rich Stadium was in '73 against the Eagles. The Bills held a one point lead and Philly was driving for an easy FG. I was so nervous that I couldn't watch the kick, but the crowd reaction told me the outcome. Dempsey was the kicker for the Eagles and he missed a chip shot, allowing the Bills to escape with a win (27-26). Back then 1973 was the last season before the goalposts were moved to the back of the endzone. The kick Dempsey missed was barely longer than a PAT.

 

RIP Tom, you overcame physical disabilities to excel in the NFL.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRHater69 said:

The first game I ever went to in what was then Rich Stadium was in '73 against the Eagles. The Bills held a one point lead and Philly was driving for an easy FG. I was so nervous that I couldn't watch the kick, but the crowd reaction told me the outcome. Dempsey was the kicker for the Eagles and he missed a chip shot, allowing the Bills to escape with a win (27-26). Back then 1973 was the last season before the goalposts were moved to the back of the endzone. The kick Dempsey missed was barely longer than a PAT.

 

RIP Tom, you overcame physical disabilities to excel in the NFL.

 

 

 

It was the same endzone he missed the kick against Miami. (tunnel end)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 63 yarder was one hell of a kick. He kicked the hide off that ball. RIP Tom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ColeB said:

 

It was my first game at the then Rich Stadium.

 

My coldest game was the Bills/Jets in ‘96.  Despite my traveling from California and my brother from Texas, we left after the 3rd Qtr. Concessions were out of hot chocolate in the 1st Qtr.

That was one cold sumbeeyatch!!  Wasn’t it like 9 degrees at kickoff and 6 degrees when it ended??  The parking lots were like sheets of ice. My brother did one of those legs slide out from under and he hit the ground hard. It was the season after the Browns had moved to Baltimore and there was a group of Browns fans there with a sign outside the stadium. We commiserated with them for a while before going in. 
 

I’ve been to games since the Rockpile in the late 60’s and that was the coldest one I’ve ever been, too. 
 

Me and my “known him since grade school” buddy made it to the bitterly cold

end. 

Edited by BuffaloBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

RIP, my condolences to his family.  Heard he was also battling Alzheimer’s and Dementia since 2012. Sucks to hear about news like this😥

 

6 hours ago, CSBill said:

 

It is incredibly sad to see someone go through any life-debilitating disease, but dementia is among the worst. Well, I guess they are all aweful.

 

Stay safe Bills Mafia. Boy, do we all hope our President is right on his prediction yesterday. If we can gather again at Two Bills Drive in September, there will be so much to celebrate, way beyond football.

 

My father died similarly.  He had Alzheimer's for 8 years and then was taken suddenly by a lung problem...........I was glad that happened and he didn't have to go to the bitter end with Alzheimer's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

RIP, Mr. Tom Dempsey. I remember watching the highlight of that 63 yarder in amazement when I was a kid, and the impression it left on me as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Dempsey family. 

Edited by Let's Go Buffalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP to a football icon.  He also had no toes or fingers on his right hand.  Huge perseverance to make it to the NFL like that. One tough guy.  Sad to hear he also had Alzheimers and dementia for the last 7 years.  Prayers for him and his family.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

 


Had no idea a 30 year old Don Criqui from Kenmore made this call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty remarkable that in 50 years only one guy (and by one yard) has exceeded that kick when you consider the changes in athletes, conditioning, fields, domes, etc.

 

 

RIP

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuffaloBob said:

That was one cold sumbeeyatch!!  Wasn’t it like 9 degrees at kickoff and 6 degrees when it ended??  The parking lots were like sheets of ice. My brother did one of those legs slide out from under and he hit the ground hard. It was the season after the Browns had moved to Baltimore and there was a group of Browns fans there with a sign outside the stadium. We commiserated with them for a while before going in. 
 

I’ve been to games since the Rockpile in the late 60’s and that was the coldest one I’ve ever been, too. 
 

Me and my “known him since grade school” buddy made it to the bitterly cold

end. 

 

I don't remember a thing about this '96 Jets game..............By far, the coldest was the Jets and then Raiders back to back 12/26/93 and then the playoff game. 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow.

 

When he set the record he broke the old record by 7 yards!

 

That is amazing when you think about it.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, bbb said:

 

I don't remember a thing about this '96 Jets game..............By far, the coldest was the Jets and then Raiders back to back 12/26/93 and then the playoff game. 

You’re right. It was December 26, 1993 and we clinched a playoff birth.  It was just two weeks before the Raiders game, which I watched in my cozy living room in Hermosa Beach, CA.  😆 

“The first measured in at nine degrees, but the wind chill put the temperature well below zero. Neither offense was particularly adept at dealing with the weather, and in a low-scoring game like that, a big difference in special teams can play a huge difference. Steve Christie was solid as always in the cold, nailing three field goals while his Jets counterpart, Cary Blanchard, missed three that would have made the difference. The win clinched a playoff spot for the Bills for the sixth straight year.”

 

I must be conflating the discussion that happened with the Browns fans with that game. It was also really cold for that game, but was a different game for sure. Old age is setting in. 😂 

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BuffaloBob said:

You’re right. It was December 26, 1993 and we clinched a playoff birth.  It was just two weeks before the Raiders game, which I watched in my cozy living room in Hermosa Beach, CA.  😆 

“The first measured in at nine degrees, but the wind chill put the temperature well below zero. Neither offense was particularly adept at dealing with the weather, and in a low-scoring game like that, a big difference in special teams can play a huge difference. Steve Christie was solid as always in the cold, nailing three field goals while his Jets counterpart, Cary Blanchard, missed three that would have made the difference. The win clinched a playoff spot for the Bills for the sixth straight year.”

 

I must be conflating the discussion that happened with the Browns fans with that game. It was also really cold for that game, but was a different game for sure. Old age is setting in. 😂 

 

I thought it was setting in for me that I couldn't remember the Jets 96 game as really cold.  

 

That '93 game was insane.  Well below zero wind chill is right!  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Mr. Dempsey!  Remember seeing him in the Guiness Book of Records for so many years as a kid for his 63 yd field goal.  What he did as a kicker with his handicap is simply amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Autographed Signed Tom Dempsey 8x10 Buffalo Bills Photo ...

I had absolutely no idea he was a Bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

The first game I ever went to in what was then Rich Stadium was in '73 against the Eagles. The Bills held a one point lead and Philly was driving for an easy FG. I was so nervous that I couldn't watch the kick, but the crowd reaction told me the outcome. Dempsey was the kicker for the Eagles and he missed a chip shot, allowing the Bills to escape with a win (27-26). Back then 1973 was the last season before the goalposts were moved to the back of the endzone. The kick Dempsey missed was barely longer than a PAT.

 

RIP Tom, you overcame physical disabilities to excel in the NFL.

 

 

I was thinking of this game also.  Lot of good NFL Films music here too:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...