Pick one of the FA RBs (Edited to remove Gordon & Gurley)

If the Bills HAD to add one which would you pick?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which FA RB for the Bills

• Devonta Freeman
    • Carlos Hyde
    • Lamar Miller

I am on board with Hyde. Gordon is the best player, but am not sure how well he would handle being the complimentary back instead of the primary one. Additionally I'm concerned with him being a negative in the locker room if he sees himself as being underutilized or underpaid in his mind.

If the Bills sign Gordon or Hyde it would allow the Bills to look elsewhere in the draft with their premium picks.

If they don't sign a RB, I gotta think the Bills will be in the market to grab Taylor or Akers and will trade up in the 2nd round to get em.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have limited cap space remaining for 2020. They can sign someone like Gordon but the cap space has dried up for the most part.

With Gurley now off the board I would lean towards Hyde. He’s the right combination of cost and effectiveness. He’s coming off a nice year.

Buffalo is #13 in cap space, with 12 million in excess of league average

When looking at career stats I was underwhelmed by Gordon's numbers. Good receiving #s but pedestrian yards per carry and only 1 season with 1,000 yards. It all depends what they are looking for, a change of pace back, a really good receiver (I'd go with Dion Lewis in that case), someone with similar running style to Singletary, etc. 

They should draft one, but having the 1 year "prove it" deal back every year would be okay with me, in that case Lamar Miller could be interesting presuming his health is okay. 

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Buffalo is #13 in cap space, with 12 million in excess of league average

They haven’t accounted for Jefferson, Matakevich, or Taiwan Jones yet. They are likely closer to $24Mish I would suspect. If they plan to extend any of their own guys they don’t have a ton of flexibility. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I'm definitely not banging the table for a free agent RB. But to answer your question, I think it's mainly two things (at least from my perspective):

1. We know McBeane generally prefers having a veteran in the room/prefers filling in needs in free agency, so I think it's just assumed we'll pick one up.
  2. Transitioning from college to the NFL isn't easy as far as being a 3rd down back goes. That, to me, is what we should be trying to fix in free agency.

Gordon would help in that regard. So would someone like Dion Lewis, Chris Thompson, Buck Allen, Devontae Booker, Bilal Powell etc.

Chris Thompson is an underrated name drop. Would LOVE that move pending health.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have limited cap space remaining for 2020. They can sign someone like Gordon but the cap space has dried up for the most part.

With Gurley now off the board I would lean towards Hyde. He’s the right combination of cost and effectiveness. He’s coming off a nice year.

I would choose Hyde. Loved his size and speed coming out of college. He’s a really good No. 2 back. Wouldn’t have a problem with him starting a few games if needed. Shouldn’t be too expensive. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am in the small contingent that likes Freeman.   While I think Gordon might be a touch better, I do not agree with Gordon's sense of self worth.  And I fear he views himself as the main man.  I want to groom Singletary for the main job.  Freeman has split carries almost his entire time.  And Freeman is better than Hyde.

A Freeman/Singletary 1-2 punch would be an excellent pair.  Big upgrade from the Gore/Singletary 2019 duo.

• Like (+1) 1

Gordon:  most talented, but wants to be paid too much and likely won't want to split carries with Singletary (as stated above)

Freeman:  injured quite a bit the last couple of years, but very talented if healthy

Hyde:  solid, but least talented of the bunch

Miller:  also solid, but not much tread left on the tire

Surprisingly, I just looked all of them up and Freeman, Hyde and Miller are all 28, while Gordon is 26.

If we didn't have Devin, I'd say Gordon, but since we do, I'd cast my lot with Freeman.  As a complimentary back, he may not get as banged up as he's been and the Bills current training regimen has a good track record for keeping guys healthy.

We definitely should add a RB in the draft, but I guess we also need a veteran on the roster.  Does Yeldon qualify as that?  Another question:  how does Yeldon stack up against these four FA options?

Gordon's gone.  Just as well.  For sustained excellence you need draft choices that play  major roles.  Singletary is one that can do that for the Bills.  I don't want to see him backseated by a self absorbed Gordon.  

I'm still holding out hope for D Freeman.  He could share time w Singletary while being really good.  And draft one so that in a year Singletary will be the vet and the draftee will be the youngster.

Freeman and Singletary  would be an excellent duo.  A substantial upgrade over 2019.

How about the Bills just draft Darrynton Evans in the 3rd round and get it over with.

I did watch a lot of App State games last year and I honestly never thought about Evans as a pro back because I never thought the Bills would be in the market for a young back, mainly because I thought they would have signed a vet to replace Gore.

Now that the narrative could have shifted and since the Bills aren't picking the 1st round anymore. Evans is now on the radar in the 3rd round.

I am guessing the top 4 RB's will be gone by 54 (Swift, Dobbins, Taylor, Akers) and the Bills will have to look in the 3rd round and beyond.

Evans is a hell of a prospect and when it is all said and done, he could be the perfect compliment to DS.