Cuomo: No visitors to nursing homes; public events with more than 500 people to be banned

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

One quick question—what’s magic about the 500 people cutoff line? So if I go to an event with 498 others, nothing to worry about? Just sayin’

Arbitrary figure. Still allows conferences, clesses, etc. 

32 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

One quick question—what’s magic about the 500 people cutoff line? So if I go to an event with 498 others, nothing to worry about? Just sayin’

Two scoops of ice cream if you calculate the attendance is shy of 500

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

It's arbitrary with a bit of science behind it.   If you know the prevalence of a disease in the population, epidemiologists can calculate the probability that someone infected will be at an event, based on the size of the event.  Cuomo is probably trying to allow personal events like weddings to stay on and small businesses like restaurants to stay open while shutting down big sporting events and conventions that have a very high probability to have more than one infective carrier present.

The thing is we really don't have good information about prevalence at this point.  And it's probably non-random.

Point:  Biogen recently held a conference of about 175 people in Boston which is now responsible for 70 of the 92 Covid19 cases in the state of Massachusetts.

If we really want to stem this thing, we have to just shut stuff down, no weaseling.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sorry to go PPP here, but ummm

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Applies to state governments too

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

While I get it, The general public is pretty F)(*^ Dumb and doesnt know how to protect themselves.

Do you know how many people ive seen B()*&ing that the St Pats parade was cancelled because now they cant drink their face off.

People are saying they are showing up to bard at 8AM regardless because they need to get hammered apparently.

"Cuomo cant stop us"

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This is what my wife has been saying. Either put on a full mandated quarantine or dont do anything. Dont half ass it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

They closed off my MIL's nursing home to visitors yesterday....that seems like an obvious step considering the impact on the elderly and frail.

Except, what are they doing to ensure that aides and ancillary staff stay home when ill? That's the big question I have for the independent living facility where my mom lives.  Because those people need their money to make rent, and they don't get paid for being sick, typically.

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Most governments have some provision for emergency action.  The root idea is that in an emergency, it ain't peaceable to assemble.

There is plenty of precedent - Yellow fever and cholera epidemics, Great Influenza of 1918, wartime
And yeah, if anyone wants to go off discussing the constitutionality of emergency powers, it will go out the airlock, sorry.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This is what my wife has been saying. Either put on a full mandated quarantine or dont do anything. Dont half ass it.

Your wife is a smart woman and she is essentially correct.  A full quarantine where no one can leave their house would be hard unless there's a provision to provide supplies. 

But basically say all events/gatherings cancelled or don't bother, because 175 Biogen Idec executives showed they can catch Covid19 quite nicely, despite not being a gathering of >500.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Your wife is a smart woman and she is essentially correct.  A full quarantine where no one can leave their house would be hard unless there's a provision to provide supplies. 

But basically say all events/gatherings cancelled or don't bother, because 175 Biogen Idec executives showed they can catch Covid19 quite nicely, despite not being a gathering of >500.

Probably smarter than me......as a mod, please delete this response in 30 minutes so she never sees it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Short answer: Constitutional rights are not guaranteed in all circumstances, especially where there is a compelling governmental interest at stake (such as public safety.) For example, yelling "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater in order to create a panic can be prosecuted, as it is not considered 'protected speech'.

Legally, Cuomo is on pretty safe ground issuing this order. The state has a pretty substantial interest in preventing the spread of a virus that seems to be very easy to transmit en masse.

4 hours ago, /dev/null said:

your people have a keen sense of freedom in their souls and won’t put up with proven unnecessary dicking around in their life

the clock is ticking on putting up with these measures if they weren’t required in the first place

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Point:  Biogen recently held a conference of about 175 people in Boston which is now responsible for 70 of the 92 Covid19 cases in the state of Massachusetts.

If we really want to stem this thing, we have to just shut stuff down, no weaseling.

Considering type of company it is I wonder if this will show up as a positive or negative on balance sheet.

9 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Interesting. What happens when that assembly of the people conflicts with the constitutional mandate of the government to promote the general welfare of the people? 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Interesting. What happens when that assembly of the people conflicts with the constitutional mandate of the government to promote the general welfare of the people? 

The 50th anniversary of what made Kent, Ohio famous is approaching

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1