Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

3 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Wow.  That's friggin scary.

We had nothing like that down here.

Our PM gave the country 48 hrs to prepare for the country-wide lockdown.  That evening, my wife went shopping for our usual amount.  The next day, I had to pop into the office to grab some stuff (working from home for 3 weeks now) and saw that the grocery store carpark was 1/2 full.  I decided to pop in and "really" stock up.

I couldn't believe just how chilled out and orderly everyone was.  There was a bit of tension in the air, but everyone was also uber friendly with each other, but kept their distance.

That said, we've heard stories from overseas about panic buying and all that.

Man, it'll be great when we are all back to normal again.  (Whatever normal will be.)

Stores are actually more quiet than usual now, but a bachelor buddy was told by the cashier today that he was NOT allowed to buy 3 frozen pizzas today, limit was two. Took one away from him. Haha!  I think that’s all he eats! 

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Because if there's one person we should take advice from on how not to spread this virus it's Rand Paul. ?

My earlier post on the subject was deleted for using the “I” word so I’ll try to be more diplomatic and simply say that given his previous carelessness with social distancing while awaiting his virus test results, perhaps Rand Paul isn’t the authority we should look towards for advice on continuing the practice. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

couldn't believe just how chilled out and orderly everyone was.  There was a bit of tension in the air, but everyone was also uber friendly with each other, but kept their distance.

This is why I told my wife I'd like to move to New Zealand. 

I really hate the Washington DC metro area I moved to for my first professional job and she would be closer to family in Hong Kong.

Doubt there is any of my type of work in NZ and too old to go to new career.

8 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...CERTAINLY understand the pandemic concern, but is this a bit too far or not?..............

Michigan stay-at-home order now bans visits to friends, relatives, governor says

By Brie Stimson, Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Traveling to another home within Michigan, even to visit friends or relatives, or to go to a vacation home, is now banned under Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus stay-at-home order, which has been extended until May 1.

“Michigan has the third-highest number of COVID-19 cases in the country, and we’re still on the upswing," Whitmer said in a statement." We must continue to do everything we can to slow the spread and protect our families."

Some exceptions to the order -- which takes effect Saturday -- are caring for a relative or their pet, a child, an elderly or disabled person, visiting someone in a health care facility, or attending a funeral with fewer than 10 people.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-stay-at-home-order-now-bans-visits-to-friends-relatives-governor-says

I can understand why you think so, but epidemiologically, it all depends upon how strict everyone is in that friend or relative group is being with their social distancing.

If you, your wife, and your son Chad visit your brother Hank and his wife, but Chad has been visiting his girlfriend Amy who lives with her mom, elder sister, and little brother -

Hank and his wife are now connected to Amy's mom's boss, whose boyfriend has a coworker who is married to an LEO....

Unfortunately, that's how it works with contact tracing in pandemics, the networks broaden out with pretty spectacular rapidity once there is a connection.

Large parts of Michigan are pretty heavily underserved as far as hospitals go, and it may get very grim.

On a lighter note, is that reporter's name truly "Brie"?  Isn't that a bit...cheesy?

7 hours ago, Augie said:

@Hapless Bills Fan, was it you who mentioned one country where half or more of the COVID-19 cases were people who had gathered for religious services? Does anyone else remember that? I’ve got a guy on my college hoops board who is raging against the government for taking away people’s Constitutional right to gather on Easter. Sometimes people just need to be protected from themselves. It’s one thing if you want to thin yourself from the herd, but if your stupidity affects everyone, we have a new ball game. 

At one point, that was S. Korea.  They thought they had the epidemic clamped down....then they got a surge of cases.  Since they do heavy-duty contact tracing, they traced it back to a service held by the Shincheonji Church of Jesus.  Then they thought they had a bead on it again, another flair-up connected to a different church service.

There are some instances in US centered around churches.  A Washington church choir practice spread coronavirus to 45 people (out of 60 in attendance) despite distributing hand sanitizer and masks, and maintaining ~3 ft spacing  between choir members.  3 hospitalized, 2 dead (so far).

There was a Children's Program at an Arkansas church which has resulted in 34+ people being ill (it was a majority of the cases in the state, at one point).

Fundamentally, with Freedom comes Responsibility.  If it's very important to your guy to go to a church service on Easter, that is his personal freedom, but to protect others then I think it's entirely reasonable to expect him to take Responsibility and strictly self-quarantine for 14 days (along with everyone else there).

Also fundamentally, we're all in one boat.  If your board guy insists the Constitution protects his right to go to church services, what about the rights of other people to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness by being able to operate their businesses or work and earn money to support themselves?  Because if covid-19 cases flare up two weeks after Easter, that will stay on Pause.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...CERTAINLY understand the pandemic concern, but is this a bit too far or not?..............

Michigan stay-at-home order now bans visits to friends, relatives, governor says

By Brie Stimson, Travis Fedschun | Fox News

Traveling to another home within Michigan, even to visit friends or relatives, or to go to a vacation home, is now banned under Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s coronavirus stay-at-home order, which has been extended until May 1.

“Michigan has the third-highest number of COVID-19 cases in the country, and we’re still on the upswing," Whitmer said in a statement." We must continue to do everything we can to slow the spread and protect our families."

Some exceptions to the order -- which takes effect Saturday -- are caring for a relative or their pet, a child, an elderly or disabled person, visiting someone in a health care facility, or attending a funeral with fewer than 10 people.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-stay-at-home-order-now-bans-visits-to-friends-relatives-governor-says

my one issue with this is that it prevents people from traveling to their second homes in the state. I don’t see the risks being so much greater to prevent people from traveling to a second home in the state to stay at home there as opposed to staying at home at residence number 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

my one issue with this is that it prevents people from traveling to their second homes in the state. I don’t see the risks being so much greater to prevent people from traveling to a second home in the state to stay at home there as opposed to staying at home at residence number 1. 

The issue arising in many places is that seasonal towns lack the medical and other (think groceries) infrastructure for off season surges of people. And of course, the locals don’t want you spreading the disease you’re bringing from the big city to their small towns. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

The issue arising in many places is that seasonal towns lack the medical and other (think groceries) infrastructure for off season surges of people. And of course, the locals don’t want you spreading the disease you’re bringing from the big city to their small towns. 

I do understand that rationale. I just don’t think those risks justify the restriction, especially when you are restricting people from staying at a property that they lawfully own. 

18 hours ago, Augie said:

@Hapless Bills Fan, was it you who mentioned one country where half or more of the COVID-19 cases were people who had gathered for religious services? Does anyone else remember that? I’ve got a guy on my college hoops board who is raging against the government for taking away people’s Constitutional right to gather on Easter. Sometimes people just need to be protected from themselves. It’s one thing if you want to thin yourself from the herd, but if your stupidity affects everyone, we have a new ball game. 

...it's pretty sad Augie......look at the level of defiance and ignorance early on.......Spring Break...Mardi Gras......etc........"it's a hoax"......"nothing but another type of flu".......et al......perhaps, perhaps thee level of defiance as diminished somewhat as number of cases and deaths mount......however, I can see an upsurge in defiance as "cabin fever isolation" takes its toll.....

18 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It looks good, Limeaid, but be aware the ninja sewist needle warriors with the particle tester found differences between different brands of shop towels.  Apparently Scott were not as good as Toolbox or Zep.

They may have tested this stuff, I wonder if they'd answer an email.

16 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Does anyone know how to vet this organization and find out if they are legit?

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...it's pretty sad Augie......look at the level of defiance and ignorance early on.......Spring Break...Mardi Gras......etc........"it's a hoax"......"nothing but another type of flu".......et al......perhaps, perhaps thee level of defiance as diminished somewhat as number of cases and deaths mount......however, I can see an upsurge in defiance as "cabin fever isolation" takes its toll.....

I'm still dealing with this with some relatives.  "how is this different from flu?"  "But my First Amendment rights!"  "Restriction on citizens!" blah blah

They are in small rural towns which aren't at all affected - yet.

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It looks good, Limeaid, but be aware the ninja sewist needle warriors with the particle tester found differences between different brands of shop towels.  Apparently Scott were not as good as Toolbox or Zep.

I'm still dealing with this with some relatives.  "how is this different from flu?"  "But my First Amendment rights!"  "Restriction on citizens!" blah blah

I did vet them as best I could before I posted it. One of the organizers was a congressional candidate. Another is a pro soccer coach and another is a famous fashion designer.

Ive seen it shared on twitter by a number of people with blue check marks too. An actor from the avenger movies has also promoted it (Paul Bettany). 

And they’re posting pics on Twitter of their deliveries:

BTW happy Easter Hap! 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

.....must be a high level of frustration with your knowledge.....we have a loud mouth VP at work who pontificates daily in the lunch room as to how this is an "election year hoax".......ignorant has 20,000 hoax sympathy cards to send out...SMH....my kids and I have taken the ultra conservative approach as we want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.....I live alone (widower), go to work daily, grocery shop once weekly and stay home.....my son and daughter in law are working from home and go out once weekly for groceries......my daughter goes to work daily, grocery shop once weekly and stay home....I have not seen them in five weeks (all live locally)......despite the events of this week, namely the 5th anniversary of my late wife's transplant, my birthday and now Easter, we steadfastly refuse to make any regiment exceptions...NONE....FWIW, we are not only battling a pandemic of historical US proportions, but also fighting the exponential growth of social IRRESPONSIBILITY for years and it is showing IMO....refreshing to see info sharing here by you and others and the civil discourse that usually follows....the TBD Community for the most part "gets IT".......the socially irresponsible do need government "day care" which is very sad to me....Happy Easter folks.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....must be a high level of frustration with your knowledge.....we have a loud mouth VP at work who pontificates daily in the lunch room as to how this is an "election year hoax".......ignorant has 20,000 hoax sympathy cards to send out...SMH....my kids and I have taken the ultra conservative approach as we want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.....I live alone (widower), go to work daily, grocery shop once weekly and stay home.....my son and daughter in law are working from home and go out once weekly for groceries......my daughter goes to work daily, grocery shop once weekly and stay home....I have not seen them in five weeks (all live locally)......despite the events of this week, namely the 5th anniversary of my late wife's transplant, my birthday and now Easter, we steadfastly refuse to make any regiment exceptions...NONE....FWIW, we are not only battling a pandemic of historical US proportions, but also fighting the exponential growth of social IRRESPONSIBILITY for years and it is showing IMO....refreshing to see info sharing here by you and others and the civil discourse that usually follows....the TBD Community for the most part "gets IT".......the socially irresponsible do need government "day care" which is very sad to me....Happy Easter folks.......

Yes, it is very frustrating to me. 

But I slept well last night, and had a beautiful Easter breakfast with my spouse, and in a few minutes we will play a family game with my daughter, then call various relatives.

Then I will take a deep breath, apologize for incivility, pick up my metaphorical chisel, and try to chip a little hole and insert some facts, one link at a time.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, it is very frustrating to me. 

But I slept well last night, and had a beautiful Easter breakfast with my spouse, and in a few minutes we will play a family game with my daughter, then call various relatives.

Then I will take a deep breath, apologize for incivility, pick up my metaphorical chisel, and try to chip a little hole and insert some facts, one link at a time.

...glad to hear it.......:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Per the bold text, I find that ironic as it’s often the socially irresponsible who seem to be those who think this is no big deal and who complain the loudest about the government and their lost “rights.”

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Per the bold text, I find that ironic as it’s often the socially irresponsible who seem to be those who think this is no big deal and who complain the loudest about the government and their lost “rights.”

...a battle of epic proportions NEVER to be won.....at the expense of us who comply.......the parasites will never rescind............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This article has a different perspective.  It points out that “wealth is the vector”; a number of outbreaks in rural areas have been catalysed by an influx of wealthy visitors.

If people simply drove to their second home, unlocked the door, carried in food they already had on hand at their first home, and belongings, and hunkered down, what you see might be the case.  But what’s been seen in practice is that people flee the perceived higher risk of the city and bring the virus with them, where they pass it along by stopping for fuel, bathroom breaks, and to buy snacks; when they arrive, they stop at the grocery store to stock up, perhaps summon a plumber or cable repair person to take care of a problem.

Or maybe they don’t “stock up”, maybe they figure they’re safe now, and pretty much act “normal”, putting the locals at more risk.  If they become ill, they expect the local health infrastructure, which is usually pretty scanty, to care for them. 

It seems that practical experience of what actually happens doesn’t bear out what you see.?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This article has a different perspective.  It points out that “wealth is the vector”; a number of outbreaks in rural areas have been catalysed by an influx of wealthy visitors.

If people simply drove to their second home, unlocked the door, carried in food they already had on hand at their first home, and belongings, and hunkered down, what you see might be the case.  But what’s been seen in practice is that people flee the perceived higher risk of the city and bring the virus with them, where they pass it along by stopping for fuel, bathroom breaks, and to buy snacks; when they arrive, they stop at the grocery store to stock up, perhaps summon a plumber or cable repair person to take care of a problem.

Or maybe they don’t “stock up”, maybe they figure they’re safe now, and pretty much act “normal”, putting the locals at more risk.  If they become ill, they expect the local health infrastructure, which is usually pretty scanty, to care for them. 

It seems that practical experience of what actually happens doesn’t bear out what you see.?

I guess my assumption is that we are dealing with socially responsible people doing the right thing when they are moving between residences (not going out or traveling at all if they have had exposures or have symptoms; maintaining distance and staying at home regardless of their residence).

the problems identified in the article you linked Have probably more to do with the socially irresponsible people. Hopefully there are far fewer of them now, at this point. 

18 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I guess my assumption is that we are dealing with socially responsible people doing the right thing when they are moving between residences (not going out or traveling at all if they have had exposures or have symptoms; maintaining distance and staying at home regardless of their residence).

the problems identified in the article you linked Have probably more to do with the socially irresponsible people. Hopefully there are far fewer of them now, at this point. 

If we were dealing with socially responsible people, unfortunately a lot of current restrictions wouldn't need to be in place - for example closing parks :(

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we were dealing with socially responsible people, unfortunately a lot of current restrictions wouldn't need to be in place - for example closing parks :(

Yep. Sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. Sometimes we need to be protected from ourselves. 

With the add-in that (think it's memed above) saying "I'll be responsible for me and make my own decisions, you be responsible for you and make yours" is kind of like proposing to maintain a pee-free zone in a common swimming pool.  That line of thought works as long as Person A's decisions don't affect Person B, and since we're all in the same pool, ah........

6 hours ago, Bad Things said:

If you're not watching the White House Briefing... I strongly suggest you do.  Don't watch bits and pieces through the news.  Watch the whole thing.

??

[Edit: Hapless sez, I have all kind of things to say about this, but I think when we get into debating Federal vs State powers it's kind of beyond the scope here.  So some pruning occurred. 

Fundamentally, the only one who should decide when and where to reopen is a qualified public health epidemiologist, and the proper role of elected officials in a public health emergency at the Local, State, OR Federal level should have is to move heaven and earth to get them the test data they need to make a sound public health decision. ]

From the department of "Huh.  You Don't Say."

https://nypost.com/2020/04/13/virginia-pastor-who-held-packed-church-service-dies-of-coronavirus/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site+buttons&utm_campaign=site+buttons&fbclid=IwAR36iRhOsa6GN2YTmYzobRpXI3h_8M4ycmzBtYCZz4y27PwfSrqDvT_1FGc

"An evangelical pastor died of COVID-19 just weeks after proudly showing off how packed his Virginia church was — and vowing to keep preaching “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

"On Sunday, his church announced “with an exceedingly sorrowful and heavy heart” that the pastor had died a week after being diagnosed with COVID-19.

His wife, Marcietia Glenn, is also sick .......

Their daughter, Mar-Gerie Crawley....... is now urging everyone to stay home.

“It becomes very real to you,” she told WTVR after her parents’ diagnoses. “I just beg people to understand the severity and the seriousness of this, because people are saying it’s not just about us, it’s about everyone around us.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I seen some talk in another thread and decided to join to share my thoughts.

There was talk about people being extremely sick ill back in December, and I can attest to this.

It started for me on Black Friday with a sore throat that turned into a fever, body aches, and overall just feeling like junk.  I however think this illness just weakened my immune system to get something way more seriously the first week in Dec.  I still went to work while battling that cold, which was probably a mistake because it made me susceptible to other illnesses.  I sit next another employee who's wife does international banking all over the country (including frequent long trips to China).  She came back on thanksgiving to be home for the holidays.  His whole family ended up getting sick, including him.  I'm fairly confident I also had whatever his family had, because the entire office around him was ill too.  It spread like something I have never seen.  I ended up getting my parents ill too.

The symptoms were much of the COVID-19.  Started off with a massive headache (I never get headaches, but I couldn't even look my computer at work), then it went to my digestive track, next thing I know I have this fever and cough that would not go away.  I usually workout everyday for about an hour and half after work but that was impossible (the exhaustion was immense).  I would say for 2 and half full weeks I would wake up in legit puddles of sweat.  I will never forget on Dec 13th (Friday the 13th), I thought I was a goner.  My fever was so bad I was like almost blacking out.  From there I had this cough and breathing issue that was so frustrating because there was like nothing to cough up.  I coughed till at least mid January.  My sister had this breathing machine for asthma, and I ended up doing that for about 3 weeks everyday.  It was helping for a little, but had to do it about every 4 hours.

This spread to my parents pretty bad and my mom ended up going to the doctors.  The doctor told her it was probably pneumonia and gave her something (Doctor did very little because it has been so many weeks already since it started).

Hands down the sickest I have ever been especially for how long it lasted.  You would have days you felt ok, but then you would wake up the next day and have no idea how you are sicker than before.

I consider myself a pretty healthy person too (kind of immune obsessed).  I take all these precautions that the CDC wants now, every day (washing of hands, eating healthy, supplementary vitamins, holding large gatherings, etc.).  This sickness in Dec was too strong though.

Sorry it's long, but I seen some other posts on it and wanted to share what I experienced too.  I did apply for that antibody test in that other thread.

Edited by Back2Buff
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bad Things said:

If you're not watching the White House Briefing... I strongly suggest you do.  Don't watch bits and pieces through the news.  Watch the whole thing.

I saw that presser as it happened yesterday, and it was very informative, and very entertaining! I especially liked Dr Fauci’s part near the very start of it, and his interaction with the female reporter who asked him if he was “ordered” to say what he said.

All indications that I see are telling me that we’ll be back to “almost normal” in MANY parts of the country come mid May. Obviously the “hot spots”, and hot states (NY, NJ, CONN, & MASS) will take longer.

One very interesting thing I saw on TV last night (and it wasn’t totally surprising), is that in NY state, with all those deaths, an overwhelming (over 90%) number of those dying had a hi risk/pre existing condition.

10 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I seen some talk in another thread and decided to join to share my thoughts.

There was talk about people being extremely sick ill back in December, and I can attest to this.

It started for me on Black Friday with a sore throat that turned into a fever, body aches, and overall just feeling like junk.  I however think this illness just weakened my immune system to get something way more seriously the first week in Dec.  I still went to work while battling that cold, which was probably a mistake because it made me susceptible to other illnesses.  I sit next another employee who's wife does international banking all over the country (including frequent long trips to China).  She came back on thanksgiving to be home for the holidays.  His whole family ended up getting sick, including him.  I'm fairly confident I also had whatever his family had, because the entire office around him was ill too.  It spread like something I have never seen.  I ended up getting my parents ill too.

The symptoms were much of the COVID-19.  Started off with a massive headache (I never get headaches, but I couldn't even look my computer at work), then it went to my digestive track, next thing I know I have this fever and cough that would not go away.  I usually workout everyday for about an hour and half after work but that was impossible (the exhaustion was immense).  I would say for 2 and half full weeks I would wake up in legit puddles of sweat.  I will never forget on Dec 13th (Friday the 13th), I thought I was a goner.  My fever was so bad I was like almost blacking out.  From there I had this cough and breathing issue that was so frustrating because there was like nothing to cough up.  I coughed till at least mid January.  My sister had this breathing machine for asthma, and I ended up doing that for about 3 weeks everyday.  It was helping for a little, but had to do it about every 4 hours.

This spread to my parents pretty bad and my mom ended up going to the doctors.  The doctor told her it was probably pneumonia and gave her something (Doctor did very little because it has been so many weeks already since it started).

Hands down the sickest I have ever been especially for how long it lasted.  You would have days you felt ok, but then you would wake up the next day and have no idea how you are sicker than before.

I consider myself a pretty healthy person too (kind of immune obsessed).  I take all these precautions that the CDC wants now, every day (washing of hands, eating healthy, supplementary vitamins, holding large gatherings, etc.).  This sickness in Dec was too strong though.

Sorry it's long, but I seen some other posts on it and wanted to share what I experienced too.  I did apply for that antibody test in that other thread.

So you didn’t go to the doctor!? They certainly would have been able to tell you if it was a strain of the flu, or maybe pneumonia. Most likely would have given you tamiflu or similar too. Glad you & all your relatives made it through OK.

21 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

So you didn’t go to the doctor!? They certainly would have been able to tell you if it was a strain of the flu, or maybe pneumonia. Most likely would have given you tamiflu or similar too. Glad you & all your relatives made it through OK.

I don't have a primary.  Knock on wood, I consider myself a pretty healthy person.  Other than that dumb stomach virus I got in 2018, last year was the first time I was sick for like 10 years.

Everyday you just think tomorrow will be better.  It took my mom 2 weeks just to get an appointment for her doctor because of how busy they were in December.  The office told her it was a bad flu season (hmmmm, I wonder why).

I also get the flu shot every year (along with me entire family), which normally helps.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John in Jax said:

All indications that I see are telling me that we’ll be back to “almost normal” in MANY parts of the country come mid May. Obviously the “hot spots”, and hot states (NY, NJ, CONN, & MASS) will take longer.

What are "all indications" that you see?

Here are two articles giving model projections for "peak" Covid-19.  I am giving two sources perceived as different politically, quoting the same model

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/825479416/new-yorks-coronavirus-deaths-may-level-off-soon-when-might-your-state-s-peak

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/31/model-projects-when-the-coronavirus-will-peak-in-each-state/

There are several things to notice here:

1) Overall, the model is based on current social distancing and restrictions remaining in place throughout May.

2) 20 states are predicted to peak April 25 or later.  These include much of the Heartland and much of the South.

3) Of those 20 states, 11 are predicted to peak after May 1, including Florida, Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, and Virginia (the last 4 are predicted to peak the 2nd week of May)

4) If you put a state into the actual model shown in the first link (scroll down a ways), note that it takes at least the same time to rise from 25% to peak, as it does to decline from peak to 25%.  In other words, for those 20 states predicted to peak April 25 or later such as Florida (May 6 predicted peak), it will take until late May to decline to the point where the death rate/hospitalizations are back to wherever they are right now - ASSUMING social distancing remains in place.

A return to "almost normal" while there are still active covid-19 cases in the community will produce a 2nd peak, based on experience with other epidemic disease.

• Like (+1) 2

US deaths today are likely to be near or to set a new high. [Edit--a new high by a lot.]

What we are seeing everywhere is that there is no sharp decrease after reaching a high like many models predicted. This lingers a while. 

image.thumb.png.a94ad002ed04a8e4312e2cc7cf2591d3.png

There is a good article in the NY Times about new treatment approaches in the last month. With 2M patients, we are learning quickly what works best. Ventilators are the last resort now, while other breathing methods are working well. 

The biggest change: Instead of quickly sedating people who had shockingly low levels of oxygen and then putting them on mechanical ventilators, many doctors are now keeping patients conscious, having them roll over in bed, recline in chairs and continue to breathe on their own — with additional oxygen — for as long as possible.

The idea is to get them off their backs and thereby make more lung available. A number of doctors are even trying patients on a special massage mattress designed for pregnant women because it has cutouts that ease the load on the belly and chest.

5 hours ago, John in Jax said:

NY, NJ, PA, and much of the northeast is peaking now and may well open sooner, but an early opening just puts at risk anything we accomplished by shutting down in the first place. “Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory is won, that would be the greatest loss of all." - Donald Trump.

Florida with a peak projected in early May (send a note of thanks to your moronic governor) and much higher death tolls still to come will take longer. Florida could end up with the 2nd highest death toll in the US by the time this is over, even more than NJ. Only MA will have a shot at beating it for #3, and it probably will (a really special note of thanks to that horrible governor, who left Boston open for 10(?) days after NYC shut down).

The peaking of states at different times like this, so staggered, is a direct result of the failure of a national plan. We now will be in this much longer than we needed to because of the poor decision of some governors and the deference given to them.   

(I see that Hapless beat me to the punch on Florida.)

Edited by Sundancer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've been watching the "models" very closely over the past month, and they continue to be wildly inaccurate (I've been checking the npr.org site daily). In fact, just a couple days ago, they were predicting that Florida's peak day would be on April 27, and just NOW I checked it, and the new date is May 6! So a jump of NINE days forward! WTH!? Also, still, as of today, no sick person in all of the USA has been denied a hospital bed or a ventilator (if needed).

As far as FL goes though, it would not surprise me if the total deaths jump to put the state in the number 3 position behind NY & Conn (the latter is what the models are saying right now), because well, we have a TON of OLD people living in this state...we might even be the state with the most "old people" in the USA.

But I guess we'll all see what happens. Y'all surely realize that there are plenty of states that have been affected by this in a very small way, and that they will be opening things up in May, right?