Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

I feel like Ohio has done a very good job overall during this crisis. There’s a lot of really smart people at the state trying to come up with solutions to everything that comes with this (My wife is one of them, she’s an attorney that does labor & employment law / policy writing for the state). Needless to say she’s been a bit busy this week, as they help sort out policy and issue guidance to all the different state agencies employing thousands of people.

I was a skeptic initially on the seriousness of the whole thing but I’ve done a pretty big 180. It does give me hope though to see so many gifted people come together for a common cause. Just wish more of the naysayers out there would come on board and realize how serious this all is. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

40 people just recently tested positive in a town 30 miles from me.  They all were at a church gathering.  This was before the shutdown.

Why would you choose to go to a gathering even before the shutdown... Humanity doesn't think.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we could all use a chuckle, and that was pure GOLD! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's nothing but misery in this thread. Even if people are attempting to take measures it's too late. I'm personally making the decision not to view it anymore. It  kills my mood every time I decide to click the link.

It's not too late.  Social distancing measures take time to work - cases will still climb after intervention, especially if there are already substantial cases.

But eventually it will work.  Sorry for your mood, but ditch the pessimism. 

Epidemics can be fought and contained and defeated, we know how to do this.  All it takes is the right measures and some time.

image.thumb.png.78d3631ed480a5b4ab48285e3cc22c6e.png

https://nextstrain.org/narratives/ncov/sit-rep/2020-03-20

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's nothing but misery in this thread. Even if people are attempting to take measures it's too late. I'm personally making the decision not to view it anymore. It  kills my mood every time I decide to click the link.

Hang in there man. The formula for success is distancing, testing , and case tracking. Korea in particular is showing the way. 

We aren’t there yet but we will be. Anyone talking about dire news is trying to get the word out about what to do. Until there are drugs that truly work, this is all we have. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

PS  It does not matter if the brightest minds in the country are working on this, if they aren't empowered to enact what they know needs to be done.

Why on earth wouldn’t Trump empower them though? Not trying to go into PPP territory, but surely just about everybody in the world with a working brain (including Trump; he’s not dumb, and is very politically astute) has to know that the longer this drags on, the worse off the economy will be, and in turn, Trump’s chances of winning re-election will be in real jeopardy.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

40 people just recently tested positive in a town 30 miles from me.  They all were at a church gathering.  This was before the shutdown.

I fear there are going to be many, many stories like this in the coming days and weeks but I pray to god there aren’t 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Why on earth wouldn’t Trump empower them though? Not trying to go into PPP territory, but surely just about everybody in the world with a working brain (including Trump; he’s not dumb, and is very politically astute) has to know that the longer this drags on, the worse off the economy will be, and in turn, Trump’s chances of winning re-election will be in real jeopardy.

Yeah, I think responding to this will free-fall into PPP land.  My short answer is that I do not know.

• Like (+1) 1

[edit: re Trump not empowering experts]

Without going PPP, it appears that he just didn’t believe the experts, and spent months calling it media panic and an average flu (evidenced by so many who still believe that even now or are just realizing in the last week that it isn’t).

as to there still not being any true coordinated 50 state/national plan, I have not a clue.

22 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

We had our annual HOA meeting on Tuesday, March 10th at 6:30pm in a large church meeting room...about 40 people were there, 95% of them over 65.....they had BBQ catered in; food trays were on a table in the middle of the room, and it was helpee/selfee!

At the time, I think the guidance was no large groups of 250+. Should I have not gone? As of now, I don't think I have the virus, even though the first few days after that meeting I was a little bit sick (took off Friday from work as a precaution), but worked all this past week, and have recovered to normal (never had a fever either).

ETA: So just seeing that the church meeting near Atlanta was on March 1 (post immediately after this one). Hope nobody at our March 10 meeting had the virus!

Our HOA wisely recognized that there was nothing vital that needed immediate discussion. Anything critical would be handled via email. Even a couple weeks ago that just felt like a very bad idea. The “guidelines” may have been 250 people, but we’re not even having the neighbors over for a glass of wine at that point. 

This would not be so hard if people were just willing to suspend “normal” for a while. Happy Hour? Spring Break? Really? I consider a trip to the grocery store with a disinfectant wipe an adventure. If more people just played along, this would be so much easier! 

1 minute ago, John in Jax said:

Ok, not trolling.....I’m just posting my actual, real life experiences in this thread. I’m sorry that my postings are rubbing you the wrong way. I just lost my job yesterday, so maybe you can show some compassion? I do have the great ability (in my opinion, anyway) to laugh at just about anything though. But I definitely would not laugh at anybody’s death. Please stay safe.

I have TOTAL compassion for anyone who has lost their job. That’s a serious blow in many different ways, financially, emotionally, etc. I hope things go as well as possible for you. 

I lost a job once due to changes in banks. It happened to a lot of people, even very good people. For me, it was the best thing that ever happened in my working life. I changed directions and found a path that actually made me happy every working day. In fact, it no longer felt like work. What felt like a crushing blow was actually a profound blessing. 

Best wishes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have TOTAL compassion for anyone who has lost their job. That’s a serious blow in many different ways, financially, emotionally, etc. I hope things go as well as possible for you. 

I lost a job once due to changes in banks. It happened to a lot of people, even very good people. For me, it was the best thing that ever happened in my working life. I changed directions and found a path that actually made me happy every working day. In fact, it no longer felt like work. What felt like a crushing blow was actually a profound blessing. 

Best wishes. 

John: I see his post response quoting yours. I’m sorry you lost your job and trust me, very few people are not going through that or facing something similar right now, including me. It’s awful. The economic consequences from this are more worrisome to me than the disease actually. There are no easy answers. Thank you for your reply though and I’m glad the exchange is gone. We are all together in this mess. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

John: I see his post response quoting yours. I’m sorry you lost your job and trust me, very few people are not going through that or facing something similar right now, including me. It’s awful. The economic consequences from this are more worrisome to me than the disease actually. There are no easy answers. Thank you for your reply though and I’m glad the exchange is gone. We are all together in this mess. 

my company  done run out o money...i will go on. Knew it was coming, lined up a new gig...no deal now.

I do fear fear bullets to the head gunna outpace the  need  for ventilators. Rough month for all of us, and i don't want to hear anyone else say " buck up"...its freaking miserable. 

44yr old former federal prosecutor and founder of Above the Law legal blog.

From 2 days ago:

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2020/03/19/david-lat-speaks-from-the-hospital-about-fears-hopes-and-what-people-should-know/?slreturn=20200221231157

Battling hour after hour with the novel coronavirus, he says he’s experienced intermittent fevers, joint aches, chills, fatigue and coughing for about 12 days, and, since last Sunday, has been pushing through labored breathing that barely allows him to walk from his hospital bed to a bathroom five or 10 feet away.

He feels like he will collapse, as he rises, he says.

It’s scary, it’s scary to be a mostly healthy person who now can’t even walk five feet,” Lat told the New York Law Journal in a phone interview Wednesday night, as he spoke candidly about contracting the coronavirus—he doesn’t know how, when or from whom, he just knows it was from community spread—and about how he suddenly finds himself in what may be a fight for his life.

Here’s the twitter thread he was using to document his story, for those interested: (click on tweet to see whole thread. Too long to post)

Edited by BillsFan4

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I had a feeling this was the case in WV. 

Save me the click, let me guess......they didn’t test anyone? No tests means it doesn’t exist! 

Just a wild guess.