Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is a very good article. Very good friend of my daughter is ranked 2nd in two swimming events right, and was over for dinner the night..and he is stressed to the max not being able to train. Senior in college too, so this would be his one shot to make an Olympics. But, just like their brethren FIFA and NCAA, making monet for their execs  is all that really matters for these people

https://sports.yahoo.com/its-time-for-the-ioc-to-postpone-the-2020-olympics-195643218.html

I feel for all these athletes who have put in the countless hours of training just for the chance to realize their Olympic dream only to see it dashed. Not unlike the 80 games for so many back then. 

image.thumb.jpeg.67b04551e4da827a3a1c384926d5af67.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

You want someone to explain all of that for you? I don't even watch politics and yet I can forum my own options just based off of what you read from the people who know most about this. What are the people who know most about viruses and disease telling you to do? Listen to them, local government has its own decisions to make and it will show you who is not prepared. Learn from these other people's mistakes. 

In times like these you need to take control of yourself. Making the government babysit everyone just turns more people against each other. Just sucks humanity needs to be FORCED into everything, and it takes going through disaster and tragedy to learn.

I know what *I* am supposed to be doing. I have no patience to "learn from other people's mistakes" in this. That's a recipe for disaster. "Hey look Ohio is a mess. Thankfully we have this all under control in Indiana because we did something different. Phew." Do you see how absurd that is? This is why the "well areas" of the country right now need to be protected from their own bad governance. We have already had a failure of state governance in enough states that this is nearly an out of control contagion.  

What I'd like to know is what is being done, at a national level, to undertake the steps that Korea and Germany undertook to get this under control. I have not heard of a full scale testing and worse tracking/mapping plan that were/are vital in Korea. We have nothing like that being discussed at the national level. And that step is what happens at the end of the undefined shutdown that allows us to re-open with any sense of confidence in this not happening again.  

Someone said above "The best minds are on it." OK. What is the plan? If you tell me, it would be the first time I've heard it. This isn't a war with an enemy we need to hide the plan from. 

I am EXCITED for the moment when this national plan is unveiled and you should be too. And I do expect it soon. But for some reason we are in this phase of "let the states take care of things." That doesn't work because all the states share open borders with each other. This isn't Europe or Asia where healthy Utah can shut down all crossings from CA. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

You want someone to explain all of that for you? I don't even watch politics and yet I can forum my own options just based off of what you read from the people who know most about this. What are the people who know most about viruses and disease telling you to do? Listen to them, local government has its own decisions to make and it will show you who is not prepared. Learn from these other people's mistakes. 

In times like these you need to take control of yourself. Making the government babysit everyone just turns more people against each other. Just sucks humanity needs to be FORCED into everything, and it takes going through disaster and tragedy to learn.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup I agree......I have decided to ignore EVERY non-governmental advisory as to what steps I can take to ensure my health and safety......in the meantime, I put my FEDERAL leash on and will wait for the Feds to lead me out of this because I'm too stupid to rely on anything else but Washington's own "all knowing Dr Phil"....perhaps Dr Ruth will help out as well....Feds MUST have a "one size fits all" for 300 million....good Lord I need a drink...SMH..........

Guys: the problem is that in this situation, we are not islands.  Every town, city, and state are connected.

There is a time when, for effective public health, individual free choice must be subordinate to the public good.  Uncontrolled epidemic disease where 20% of the cases require prolonged hospitalization, 5% require critical care, and 40% of those hospitalized are 20-54 years of age would be one of those times.

The point is that your individual choices and actions mean nothing if the guy next to you is asymptomatically ill and partying with 10 friends on the beach.  Now they are all exposed, and maybe travel to permanent homes in 5 different states plus a couple back to college.

How can your individual wise choices protect the hospitals and health care system from the effects of that in spreading a very contagious disease?

How can wise choices at the state and local level protect from the effects of that in spreading a very contagious disease?

If you're going to continue in this line, please address these questions clearly and specifically.

We have history written in blood "trying the experiment" to fight contagious disease with scattershot individual and local effort.  It. Does. Not. Work.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Im getting really sick of being told the facts are “political”. 

(Edit: sorry it’s been a rough night for me. Dealing with a lot right now)

hope all is as well as can be expected, BF4. stressful times, no doubt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

a Bloomberg article.

it may be that Italy has contracted a particularly nasty strain of the virus so please, treat this as just one bit of information you entertain in your knowledge gathering. it certainly is still far to young in all of this to come to any sort of definitive conclusion(s) .

99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says

More than 99% of Italy’s coronavirus fatalities were people who suffered from previous medical conditions, according to a study by the country’s national health authority.

After deaths from the virus reached more than 2,500, with a 150% increase in the past week, health authorities have been combing through data to provide clues to help combat the spread of the disease.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte’s government is evaluating whether to extend a nationwide lockdown beyond the beginning of April, daily La Stampa reported Wednesday. Italy has more than 31,500 confirmed cases of the illness. ...

Edited by Foxx

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..probably a dumb senior moment question for those clamoring about an overreaction.....what the hell is the problem about erring on the side of caution?...nylons knotted because your precious daily routine has been altered?.....seriously?.....invincible?...non-conformist?....TDS carrier?........

I’ve been seeing a lot of strict constructionist arguments being tossed around, like that group in New Hampshire suing their governor for violating their right to free assembly, for instance. I don’t understand that argument as the SCOTUS has often explained that not all rights are absolute, like yelling fire in a crowded movie theater or like Scalia explained in his majority opinion on Heller. 

Bottom line is that common sense should inform these people at a time like this. 

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..probably a dumb senior moment question for those clamoring about an overreaction.....what the hell is the problem about erring on the side of caution?...nylons knotted because your precious daily routine has been altered?.....seriously?.....invincible?...non-conformist?....TDS inflicted?........

For me: economy. I want the best balance of control of this without 20 years of economic fallout. 

8 weeks sitting at home is fine if On Week 9 most of my clients start paying their bills and everything is back to normal. That’s not what we are headed towards. My employees rely on me. My vendors rely on me. I rely on my vendors. This is not just a matter of being concerned because I can’t do my daily 60 mins at the gym and go to Starbucks for an overpriced coffee. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This chart shows the differences in the way COVID-19 has been handled by Kentucky vs by Tennessee, and their current case numbers + testing. 

Quite a difference. Shows why quick action is so important.

2DC80ADC-EF6A-42CC-80FC-90267F0EDC82.jpeg

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Do you have to rely on your admin to tell you everything? How do people not see the strategy laid out in front of them?

The strategy I see laid out in front of me is "hodgepodge of more and less effective actions, because of which consequences of the less effective actions will overtake and submerge the more effective ones"

You?

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..I am of the UTMOST confidence that most here will accept your ongoing and unheralded advice and guidance.....special thanks for your supreme efforts to keep us informed and sharing your expertise.....sadly and regardless, there will ALWAYS be a societal segment entitled "I'm invincible renegades" ....yet I believe with the respect you have earned here, the TBD family is in lockstep behind your guidance.....perhaps I can't but will do so anyway on behalf of ALL TBD'ers, "we ALL thank you for sharing your guidance and expertise"....:thumbsup:

I am hopeful that some people will find the info helpful to protect themselves and their families and friends, and understand what is going to happen and what we need to do.

I would not bet a penny on the "lockstep" and I would bet money on a good handful think I'm a lunatic or an overofficious jerk....which does not disturb my slumbers.

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

For me: economy. I want the best balance of control of this without 20 years of economic fallout. 

8 weeks sitting at home is fine if On Week 9 most of my clients start paying their bills and everything is back to normal. That’s not what we are headed towards. My employees rely on me. My vendors rely on me. I rely on my vendors. This is not just a matter of being concerned because I can’t do my daily 60 mins at the gym and go to Starbucks for an overpriced coffee. 

My niece is an RN at a nursing home in a small town.  She is scared to death.

She still has a job.  She understands that the regulations the nursing home just enacted are to care for the residents.  But she has 5 kids.  She works hard, and budgets carefully, but they live paycheck to paycheck.   Any savings she accumulates are always taken by something: car repair, furnace fails, kid needs some medication insurance won't cover.

If one of the family becomes ill, she is prohibited from coming to work for 2 weeks. 

As she says "that would devastate us"

We CAN control this without killing people or devastating our economy (further), IF we take immediate measures starting now.  Ramp up mask production.  Start contact tracing and testing.  etc.

This is something that can be done.  There are people who know how - who have handled other epidemics and brought them under control.

But where is the National Plan?  And will it be led by the people who already know how to do this, or people who need to learn as they go?

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

This chart shows the differences in the way COVID-19 has been handled by Kentucky vs by Tennessee, and their current case numbers + testing. 

Quite a difference. Shows why quick action is so important.

2DC80ADC-EF6A-42CC-80FC-90267F0EDC82.jpeg

This is SO important.  But yet the problem we face is that Tenn. residents can freely go anywhere, and in areas bordering other states, they do.

That's the Essence of what makes this country Great - travel, commerce - and it's the essence of why we need a standard national plan - NOW

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But where is the National Plan?  And will it be led by the people who already know how to do this, or people who need to learn as they go?

The fact that MA and Boston are not in lockdown (I didn’t know this until this morning) refutes all the people chiming in that states and community response is the way to go. What in the ever loving **** are they thinking?!?

Edited by Sundancer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

The fact that MA and Boston are not in lockdown (I didn’t know this) refutes all the people chiming in that states and community response is the way to go. I mean, what the ever loving **** are they thinking?!?

Right, plus Illinois measures are stricter than NYS - whaaaat?

I just posted an anecdote about the trickle-down failures of leaving this to state and local response.

6 hours ago, John in Jax said:

What do you mean? Are you watching the daily press briefings they are doing? THEY HAVE THE BRIGHTEST MINDS in the country.....at the NIH, CDC, DHS, etc.....working on this DAY & NIGHT, 24/7. OBVIOUSLY, they don’t need to have the same “stay in your home” all over the country as they do in the “hot spots.” You do acknowledge the latter, don’t you?

John,

How do we know whether or not we have "hot spots" all over the country?  We're not doing wide enough testing. 

Until recently W. Va had no positive tested cases.  That's not because they had no cases.  It's because they had no testing.  Now they have 8.  That's not because they have 8 cases; they have 8 positive tests.

Tompkins County NY where my daughter resides, has 11 positive cases now.  No big deal?  They have 288 tests pending - and until recently, very stringent criteria for who could even get a test.  Clearly they could have a problem that is ~30x bigger than they know, JUST in pending tests!

So it's not at all OBVIOUS to me.  Moreover, the places that have put in the stringent plans have "locked the door after the horse is gone".  Their hospitals are already being bombed.  Their tested case numbers are soaring, and epidemiologists estimate that the real case burden could be 10-20x higher or more.

Maybe other places should be...proactive and prevent this?

PS  It does not matter if the brightest minds in the country are working on this, if they aren't empowered to enact what they know needs to be done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Of course, I’ll defer to the others in here who have more knowledge, but I guess I’m just trying to think positively, and hoping and praying that it doesn’t get as bad as some people think it may get. Personally, I was laid off yesterday, and earlier this week, my daughter who is in the U of Miami DPT (Dr of Physical Therapy) program came up to stay with us for a while. She starts online classes on Monday.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Of course, I’ll defer to the others in here who have more knowledge, but I guess I’m just trying to think positively, and hoping and praying that it doesn’t get as bad as some people think it may get. Personally, I was laid off yesterday, and earlier this week, my daughter who is in the U of Miami DPT (Dr of Physical Therapy) program came up to stay with us for a while. She starts online classes on Monday.

There's nothing but misery in this thread. Even if people are attempting to take measures it's too late. I'm personally making the decision not to view it anymore. It  kills my mood every time I decide to click the link.

• Like (+1) 1