Say bye to Shaq?

With all the players being tagged, it's likely the middle tier players get bumped up and  make out on the market due to supply and demand.

If that be the case, itll suck to lose Shaq, but that's the risk of not exercising that fifth year option.

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Should've traded him when we had the chance

When would that have been?

I like him, and admit to having a personal aspect to that. (Friend of a friend of my son type stuff.) Regardless, I think he’s a very solid, if not spectacular type of player. He will have plenty of interest and I’d love to keep him, at the right price. 

I think much of the feeling here for him is because of his draft status. Don’t blame the player, that was not his fault. Blame Rex if you must blame someone. 

If he was taken in the third round I think more people would be pleased with him. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He’s definitely going to get big money. 
Im curious if he will give Beane a shot to match, or if he really just wants a new team/city/coach. 
But someone is going to pay for the arrow pointing upward. He’s been on a steady incline and if there is another level he hasn’t reached yet 7-10 million a year could be a steal. 

31 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It is what it is.

He leaves, fine.

He stays, fine.

This market in 2020 is INSANE and some idiot will pay him 13 mill a year.

Man, you are REALLY concerned about the contracts these guys are getting huh?  Not sure how to make you comfortable with the idea that salaries escalate EVERY SINGLE YEAR with the CBA. The money the league makes grows each year. The player’s salaries are a percentage of that revenue. The new CBA even offers a higher percentage of the revenue (if it’s passed). The players will be getting 48.5% of that revenue. The league is shooting for $25B in revenue when their TV deals expire in 2021!! https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/15/nfl-revenue-owners-players-billions/

Now we can talk about what’s a good investment and what’s a bad one but we certainly don’t need to worry about a couple million dollar overpayment having ANY impact on the team’s ability to do business. Stop looking at the raw number and look at the big picture. It’s 48.5% (or will be) of a rapidly rising overall revenue.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Man, you are REALLY concerned about the contracts these guys are getting huh?  Not sure how to make you comfortable with the idea that salaries escalate EVERY SINGLE YEAR with the CBA. The money the league makes grows each year. The player’s salaries are a percentage of that revenue. The new CBA even offers a higher percentage of the revenue (if it’s passed). The players will be getting 48.5% of that revenue. The league is shooting for $25B in revenue when their TV deals expire in 2021!! https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/15/nfl-revenue-owners-players-billions/

Now we can talk about what’s a good investment and what’s a bad one but we certainly don’t need to worry about a couple million dollar overpayment having ANY impact on the team’s ability to do business. Stop looking at the raw number and look at the big picture. It’s 48.5% (or will be) of a rapidly rising overall revenue.

It concerns me cause the money can dry up fast.

No matter how much the league is making, there is still a salary cap.

In the end I could be way over-paranoyed, but the big money is still a concern.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I like Shaq as much as the next guy but there's no way I'm paying him anything over 5/50....let him test the waters but somebody is going to get fleeced.....

That’s about what I think he’s going to get. He feels like about a $10M a year guy. 

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It concerns me cause the money can dry up fast.

No matter how much the league is making, there is still a salary cap.

In the end I could be way over-paranoyed, but the big money is still a concern.

It can’t dry up fast!! That’s the point. The TV deals are about to renew and grow exponentially!! Live sports are the main driver keeping these networks afloat. There will be new online partners as well. The money grows every year because of that!! The cap is a percentage of that revenue. It is 1,000,000,000% going to continue to grow. They are adding 2 playoff games this year and up to 16 more regular season games shortly thereafter. It’s not complicated I promise. If anything now is the time to go the other way and buy. What looks questionable now will be an absolute bargain in 2022. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

1840AD26-2B2E-43D7-9E4B-A3D392E0E7CE.jpeg

So I’ve heard in the past that the agents talk around different teams at the combine, and by the end of it they have a a very good sense of what teams interest levels are and what those teams are willing to pay.

At the DE position, the catch is that so many of the pending FA are discussed as being re-signed or franchised - it’s hard to tell how many players will actually be available.

This thing by Shaq could mean that his agent has told him he has multiple suitors who will out-bid each other and offer him crazy money.  Who knows.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s about what I think he’s going to get. He feels like about a $10M a year guy. 

If that’s about what he’s offered, I really think we should try to keep him.

• Like (+1) 3