What Ever Happened to the Libertarian Party?

Chef Jim

I voted Libertarian in 2008 and 2012 because I just couldn’t pull the trigger for any of the mainstream candidates in those two elections. You would think with the choices we will likely have this November it would be a magnificent time for a Libertarian (or any third party for that matter) candidate to shine. What gives?  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I voted Libertarian in 2008 and 2012 because I just couldn’t pull the trigger for any of the mainstream candidates in those two elections. You would think with the choices we will likely have this November it would be a magnificent time for a Libertarian (or any third party for that matter) candidate to shine. What gives?  

They are idiots who have no idea how to win an election. I know I have mentioned before that I was an officer in the PA Libertarian Party for a little while and I just could not believe the stupidity of the people running for election. And, they had no idea that their stupidity was the reason why they were not getting more votes.

It the same as what we say about Democrats. All you had to do is not be crazy and you would easily defeat Trump. They couldn't help themselves.

Edited by KRC

Just now, KRC said:

They are idiots who have no idea how to win an election. I know I have mentioned before that I was an officer in the PA Libertarian Party for a little while and I just could not believe the stupidity of the people running for election. And, they had no idea that their stupidity was the reason why they were not getting more votes.

When I heard a Libertarian candidate speak they seemed so incoherent.  The party seemed like a catch hole for ideas rejected by the R's or D's rather than having a core philosophy.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

I agree - wish there was a viable option outside the two main parties.  I usually end up with the lesser of two evils approach.  Since the Ds want to reduce individual freedom more, this usually means voting R in most cases.

The weak point for Libertarians is their foreign policy views - the world and US would not be safe.  This does not mean nation building or interfering in other countries but making sure the US has a strong defense and willing to use it if necessary.

I tried telling the Libertarians that instead of campaigning on your end goals, campaign on what you can realistically accomplish in one or two terms. You want to get rid of a bunch of government agencies? Campaign on cutting the budget by x percent. Point out where the waste is and say you are cutting that waste. Be specific on exactly what you are cutting so that the opposition will have a hard time saying you are killing grandma by cutting out funding for a bridge going nowhere. Don't campaign on immediately pulling all troops from overseas. Campaign on working with our allies to step up and help in troublesome spots so that we do not need to have as many troops deployed overseas.

They refused because it was "sacrificing their ideals." They wanted to go full gator and was shocked to see that nobody wants full gator.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

When I heard a Libertarian candidate speak they seemed so incoherent.  The party seemed like a catch hole for ideas rejected by the R's or D's rather than having a core philosophy.

The candidates are the hardcore ones, which have little experience campaigning. They do not get the experience, because they promote more radical ideas and lose out on opportunities to reach more moderate voters. They are essentially speaking to an echo chamber, because only the hardcore libertarians go see them speak.

Libertarians are a difficult group because, by definition, they are highly individualistic and don’t consider themselves to be a group.  There’s an absurd amount of in-fighting, and many outright reject the government as legitimate and refuse to participate in elections as such.

The ideological purity tests which are now destroying the Democratic Party were perfected by libertarians decades ago.

As I’m fond of saying elsewhere:  you’re not a real libertarian until another libertarian says you’re not a real libertarian.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Many libertarians have turned into mouth breathers for Trump - see the ones on this board.

well, communism is the opposite of being a libertarian, so trump is the only option, as has been said here many times. 

I’d consider myself a libertarian lite. Maybe a conservatarian. Whatever gets this country closer to constitutional originalism.

since the Dems are outed commies, they are out. 

republicans aren’t much better, but they are more palatable than the alternative. 

• Like (+1) 1

There's a big difference between "big L" Libertarians and "small l" libertarians.

"Small l" libertarians are by definition individualistic and accepting of differing points of view.

"Big L" Libertarians have a tendency to be ideological purists leading to intraparty power struggles.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Many libertarians have turned into mouth breathers for Trump - see the ones on this board.

Which shouldn't surprise you at all since the libertarians, as a group, are unable to get out of their own way for traction.

So it increasingly looks like they have two choices in this election. Republican or Communist.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Libertarians are a difficult group because, by definition, they are highly individualistic and don’t consider themselves to be a group.  There’s an absurd amount of in-fighting, and many outright reject the government as legitimate and refuse to participate in elections as such.

The ideological purity tests which are now destroying the Democratic Party were perfected by libertarians decades ago.

As I’m fond of saying elsewhere:  you’re not a real libertarian until another libertarian says you’re not a real libertarian.

Spot on.

one of the first major conferncse they had to cancel because they couodnt agree on what type of band to have, they all wanted something different and from there things got worse.

I call myself a Libertarian but wouldnt join the Libertarian party.  Reality of the Libertarian Party is all it does is syphon off votes that 90% of that would have gone to the republicans .

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

They are just not very serious people. Just cranks 

7 hours ago, dubs said:

well, communism is the opposite of being a libertarian, so trump is the only option, as has been said here many times. 

I’d consider myself a libertarian lite. Maybe a conservatarian. Whatever gets this country closer to constitutional originalism.

since the Dems are outed commies, they are out. 

republicans aren’t much better, but they are more palatable than the alternative. 

Marginally more palatable.  

On 2/28/2020 at 6:07 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

The establishment Republican party is a sham, a joke. They're no different than the establishment Democrat party. The real sauce is in the margins of American politics. 

Yep, and they have been totally happy/complacent neong party #2 and let the Media and Democrats deominze and walk all over them.  Look at Bush, the outrageous things they said about him, he never had the balls to stand up for himself, it wasn't "presidential".

Now you have Trump who really wasnt much of a Republican to begin with, he is going in the opposite direction from virtually ever other mainstream republican, when he gets attacked, he just doesnt defend hismelf, he attacks and hits back twice as hard.  IMO he far too often goes way way overboard but at least the man does or trys to accomplish what he says.

• 2 weeks later...