Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zerovoltz

Jags 2 steps closer to London move

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

 

You also have to play in the mood of London fans, which is far more anti Jags than the media would like US fans believe 

 

Not sure what gives you that impression but doesn't match what I see and hear on an almost weekly basis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of putting a team in London full time, the NFL should use the proposed 17th game as a Nomad series

 

Each team gets the traditional 8 home and 8 road games.  But each team also is bound for a 17th game at a non-NFL venue.  London, Berlin, Toronto, Tokyo, Sidney, Mexico City, or even American cities without a team (San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City).

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Instead of putting a team in London full time, the NFL should use the proposed 17th game as a Nomad series

 

Each team gets the traditional 8 home and 8 road games.  But each team also is bound for a 17th game at a non-NFL venue.  London, Berlin, Toronto, Tokyo, Sidney, Mexico City, or even American cities without a team (San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City).

 

Thank you for your idea.  The NFL, member teams and the players association is committed to reaching out to our fans across the globe.

  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is, perhaps, the London fog thread. 

 

BTW, it could no longer be the National Football League and American Football Conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

....so the Jags are playing 2 home games in London this year.  It's just the next step in them becoming the "London" Jags permanently. 

 

The reason why I posted it has more to do with Buffalo than London.  I saw somewhere on the internet that when/if the Jags do make the move permanently, there will be some realignment.  The NFL won't want the London Jags in the AFC south.  They will want them in the AFC east with flights to/from London out of Boston, New York and Miami.  The alignment I saw suggested that the AFC EAST would be :

London

New York

New England

Miami

 

AFC SOUTH

Tennessee

Houston

Indy

Cincinnatti

 

AFC NORTH

Pittsburg

Cleveland

Baltimor

BUFFALO.

 

Would Bills fans accept it?  Would your new and closer division rivals be compelling, or would it be crap that you lose the Patirots/Jets/Dolphins as division rivals?

 

I can't help but think IF (I said IF...the word IF) IF it came to it....the owners would probably be able to make this happen.  I don't think Mike Brown has any kind of clout to stop it....and would think the if the Pegulas protested, they might not have any allies to prevent this.

 

Your thoughts?

 

I've been saying for years the Bills would be a better fit in the AFC North. More natural rivals.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But I do miss the "old days" and our heated rivalry with Miami. Still remember Brian Cox flipping us all off at then named Rich Stadium. But I agree, today we would be better aligned with the AFC Central.

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure it will be the Jags that move to London. He’s been laying the ground work for years and if I’m not mistaken he also owns outright or large stake in a soccer club in London already. Could be wrong though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are going to do the realignment by region wouldn’t it make more sense to just move Miami to the South and the Jags to the East?  I mean, do they consider the rivalry between Dolphins/Jets/Pats that much bigger than Bills/Jets/Pats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

But I do miss the "old days" and our heated rivalry with Miami. Still remember Brian Cox flipping us all off at then named Rich Stadium. But I agree, today we would be better aligned with the AFC Central.

 

 

 

Our rivalry with Miami died with the rise of the Patriots*.  Once the Evil Empire collapses and the AFCE has some kind of balance, the Dolphins and Jets games will be more relevant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On one hand I think the timing would stink as New England seems to be at or close to the end of their dynasty reign, with Buffalo looking like the possible heir apparent.  On the other hand, home games for the Jags in London are not going to be at an hour that I will want to watch in all likelihood.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a new bargaining agreement coming soon, I would bet on the Player's Union saying NFW to a team in London or anywhere not in North America.  The travel would be a big negative. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

It won't be the Jags moving to London. 

 

It'll be the Chargers. Its the obvious way out their LA mess

You could be right but the complex funding arrangements made to make the massive LA construction cost work, presumed two occupants.  Someone would have to ante up some big money to move the Chargers.  I find it unlikely but the NFL never ceases to amaze me with some of their decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

With a new bargaining agreement coming soon, I would bet on the Player's Union saying NFW to a team in London or anywhere not in North America.  The travel would be a big negative. 

 

Any proposed move to London would come well after the CBA was accepted and done.

 

43 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

You could be right but the complex funding arrangements made to make the massive LA construction cost work, presumed two occupants.  Someone would have to ante up some big money to move the Chargers.  I find it unlikely but the NFL never ceases to amaze me with some of their decisions.

 

What amazing decisions? The owners have long allowed movement of teams over stadium issues.  The Chargers and Raiders (and Rams before them) weren't getting what they wanted from SD and OAK, so the owners began looking elsewhere, as they always do.  Kroenke was already in LA and building a new stadium and the Chargers had no other viable option as Spanos is infinitely cheaper than Stan.  And the LV Raiders may have been an NFL stroke of genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Not sure what gives you that impression but doesn't match what I see and hear on an almost weekly basis. 

The fact I live in the UK and am a season ticket holder for the Wembley games and have been for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

The fact I live in the UK and am a season ticket holder for the Wembley games and have been for years. 

 

I live in London. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

I live in London. 

So clearly we have a difference of opinion. 

 

For me, the backlash against the Jags is obvious. Previously at Wembley they got the neutral support, in the last 2 or 3 years that has clearly swung against them. This year the Jags game was a very one sided crowd against the Jags. 

 

Furthermore if you look at the NFL's UK social media. You see a huge and growing hostility. People are sick of having the Jags pushed on the UK fan base and told to love them. 

 

No doubt, since their 1st trip the Jags have benefitted from London. Having gone from a bottom 3rd supported team, to a fringe top 10. But they have reached saturation point, the marketing is causing more damage than good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

So clearly we have a difference of opinion. 

 

For me, the backlash against the Jags is obvious. Previously at Wembley they got the neutral support, in the last 2 or 3 years that has clearly swung against them. This year the Jags game was a very one sided crowd against the Jags. 

 

Furthermore if you look at the NFL's UK social media. You see a huge and growing hostility. People are sick of having the Jags pushed on the UK fan base and told to love them. 

 

No doubt, since their 1st trip the Jags have benefitted from London. Having gone from a bottom 3rd supported team, to a fringe top 10. But they have reached saturation point, the marketing is causing more damage than good. 

 

Mine is a London centric view for sure. But I know lots and lots of Jags fans and they are not going anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

It would still be Miami in the east...you can get direct flights from Miami, New York and Boston to London......not Baltimore.

can fly direct BWI to London btw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Mine is a London centric view for sure. But I know lots and lots of Jags fans and they are not going anywhere. 

I think that's the thing. There are as you say a lot of Jags fans. Probably top 10 best supported if you use the unscientific jersey count method. But I don't think we seeing the growth you did 5 years ago and certainly you are seeing a shift amongst neutrals. It's notable how now the Jags game is always the easy game to get tickets for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I think that's the thing. There are as you say a lot of Jags fans. Probably top 10 best supported if you use the unscientific jersey count method. But I don't think we seeing the growth you did 5 years ago and certainly you are seeing a shift amongst neutrals. It's notable how now the Jags game is always the easy game to get tickets for

 

I am not convinced on your shift among the neutrals point. Do I think the growth in Jags fans has slowed? Yes but that is inevitable. Your fastest growth is always going to be in those early years when you first introduce fans to it. I don't think many fans of other teams have converted to the Jags. But they have built a following in London of people new to the game in the last decade. 

 

The 2 game thing is a significant step forward. I have long thought that a team shared 50/50 between the east coast and London is a more realistic and immediate aim than a fully London based team. I think that is where the NFL is trying to go for the medium term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The 2 game thing is a significant step forward. I have long thought that a team shared 50/50 between the east coast and London is a more realistic and immediate aim than a fully London based team. I think that is where the NFL is trying to go for the medium term.

If they are both at Wembley it's a seriously risky move. It's risking a poor attendance. Spurs will sell out regardless, but 2 Jags games at Wembley given the Dublin game is risky. I know a number of people dumping London this year already because of the Irish game

Edited by Mountain Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

If they are both at Wembley it's a seriously risky move. It's risking a poor attendance. Spurs will sell out regardless, but 2 Jags games at Wembley given the Dublin game is risky. I know a number of people dumping London this year already because of the Irish game

 

Wembley will still sell out. 

 

Edit: just for some perspective... the highest London game attendance since the series began was for the 2019 Jags game. I see absolutely no evidence of a tapering off of Jags support. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Wembley will still sell out. 

 

Edit: just for some perspective... the highest London game attendance since the series began was for the 2019 Jags game. I see absolutely no evidence of a tapering off of Jags support. 

Attendance figures are meaningless. Even if the seat is empty it counts as as attendee if they sell a season ticket for it. Touts lost a fortune on the Jags game as the tickets were selling for less than 10 quid on game day. They were struggling to give them away 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The London Knights

 

Image result for knights
 
 
 
Edited by HOUSE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a little bit of a UK slap-fight in this thread.

 

"I challenge you to a duel, sir!" *glove-slap*

 

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...