Super Bowl Postgame Thread: Chiefs Win! Reid gets his Ring

39 minutes ago, ALF said:

Some San Francisco 49ers fans find a Super Bowl scapegoat: the officials

Perhaps the most momentum-changing play was when 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo took a major hit from a Chief’s linebacker that some fans said should have been called for helmet-to-helmet contact. There was no call and the website pointed out that Mahomes, on the ensuing drive, led the Chiefs to a go-ahead touchdown.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/some-san-francisco-49ers-fans-find-a-super-bowl-scapegoat-the-officials

I thought the officiating was good - slightly in KC's favor, but none of the calls were egregious.

That helmet-to-helmet was incidental - the defender didn't lower his helmet. It was good technique.

The push against Kittle was a classic arm-extension push off, and created separation.  I don't even know why that's controversial - that was a good & necessary call. It was not ticky tacky, as many are saying.

And I even see some fans complaining about the DPI in the endzone, when the defender didn't even turn around, saying the ball "wasn't catchable."  It absolutely was if the guy wasn't all over the receiver.

• Like (+1) 2

Well another SB has come and gone.  Some comments:

*  Happy for Reid and Mahomes.  Both guys seem like good dudes.

*  Watching the SB reminded me that the Bills are not far off.  It's possible, hell even likely, that this off season will put them over the top.

*  Best player on the field yesterday was Bosa and IMO the MVP should have been the RB for KC. 

*  Even though they are both surrounded with an enormous amount of talented skill players and excellent O-lines,  BOTH QB's yesterday were average. Mahomes came up clutch at the end but he was lucky he wasn't responsible for 4 TO's.  Jimmy G really faded in the 4th quarter.  Allen is not that far behind these guys.

*  Reading a Bill's message board and seeing all the posts obsessing over the Bills not drafting Mahomes is pathetic.  Get the hell over it.  Toddlers don't throw temper tantrums that last this long.  Frankly it comes across like a mental illness.  Most Bills fans didn't obsess over "wide right" in the SB as much as thee folks go on and on about not drafting Mahomes.

*  In fact, the "we didn't draft Mahomes" whiners should switch their complaints to "why did we let Watkins go"!  He had a great game yesterday and the TRUTH is that the Bills need an upgrade at WR NOT at QB. 

• Like (+1) 3

Fair or not, Allen/White are gonna be judged against what Mahomes/Reid has done/will be doing. The only way to shut the doubters is go get in the big game. If this doesn't put a chip on the entire Bills organization than nothing will. Welcome to the real world.

I don't think we're far in terms of ability and talent. I think we have the ingredients. But we need to cook the meal and serve it up.

Regardless I am very happy for Reid & Mahomes and the KC fans.

Edited by cale
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Well another SB has come and gone.  Some comments:

*  Happy for Reid and Mahomes.  Both guys seem like good dudes.

*  Watching the SB reminded me that the Bills are not far off.  It's possible, hell even likely, that this off season will put them over the top.

*  Best player on the field yesterday was Bosa and IMO the MVP should have been the RB for KC. 

*  Even though they are both surrounded with an enormous amount of talented skill players and excellent O-lines,  BOTH QB's yesterday were average. Mahomes came up clutch at the end but he was lucky he wasn't responsible for 4 TO's.  Jimmy G really faded in the 4th quarter.  Allen is not that far behind these guys.

*  Reading a Bill's message board and seeing all the posts obsessing over the Bills not drafting Mahomes is pathetic.  Get the hell over it.  Toddlers don't throw temper tantrums that last this long.  Frankly it comes across like a mental illness.  Most Bills fans didn't obsess over "wide right" in the SB as much as thee folks go on and on about not drafting Mahomes.

*  In fact, the "we didn't draft Mahomes" whiners should switch their complaints to "why did we let Watkins go"!  He had a great game yesterday and the TRUTH is that the Bills need an upgrade at WR NOT at QB. 

Good post and want to comment quickly on the bolded part.  Watkins is a WR2, it is that simple.  Tyreek Hill is their WR1, which looked to open things up for Watkins to actually make some plays.  Watkins had probably one of his best days as a pro, though it was because of Hill attracting attention.  We do need a WR1 and Sammy ain't it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I think Jimmy G can still improve quite a bit. 

If you think Jimmy G cannot improve any further whatsoever, that fine. But if I'm to believe Josh Allen can suddenly start playing like a top level QB when he still plays the exact same way he always has, how can I not think someone who's been far more consistent like Jimmy G can't also improve further?

Also, let's say for arguments sake Jimmy G can't improve. He's playing at 100% capability right now. Shanahan can still take them father than just a SB appearance.

When considering whether and to what extent a QB can improve, most think his time in the league and quality of overall coaching/competition count.

Jimmy G has been in the NFL for 6 seasons.  While he sat for 3 of them, general opinion is being behind the GOAT QB and coach and having a chance to learn from them does count for something.  He's also been the starter in San Francisco for 3 seasons (last season cut short by injury).  I feel he could have been voted "Comeback Player of the Year" for returning from injury and having the season he had, but the point is:

To repeat: Jimmy G has been in the league 6 years.  He'll be 29 years old next season.  To improve further at this point, which of course he could, puts him in Drew Brees/Alex Smith/Steve Young territory.

I think if you want to make the claim Josh Allen "still plays the exact way he always has" you got some 'splainin to do on various documented metrics of improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

On the SF drive near the end(the play where JG was called “in the grasp”), he got smacked in the head by a KC lineman, which also would have been called in the regular season. 

Yeah. The Fox shot of him on the ground after the hit "holding" his head told me all I needed to know about the league's concussion protocol.  It ends when the most is on the line.  If we saw it so did NYC.  If NYC saw it they could have put him in the protocol.

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned up thread or not, but I was struck by how much of a Josh Allen-type game that Mahomes had. Little to write home about for the first 50 minutes of the game (played like ass, actually) followed by late 4th quarter heroics to pull it out at the end. Nice. 

Reid thoroughly out-coached Shanahan, which was nice to see. Especially after Shanny called those bush league timeouts while KC was in victory formation. 

Speaking of which, I read an article about how Mahomes’s execution of the victory formation cost bettors a TON of money. Apparently, his total rushing yards over/under was the most popular prop bet made, with the over being what most people bet on. He gave up something like 15 yards on those victory formation plays and screwed those who bet the over. Read also that some houses are refunding money to bettors who took the over. Very cool.

38 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Yeah. The Fox shot of him on the ground after the hit "holding" his head told me all I needed to know about the league's concussion protocol.  It ends when the most is on the line.  If we saw it so did NYC.  If NYC saw it they could have put him in the protocol.

I said the same to my brother when it happened.  Terrible.

I am really happy for Reid, he was treated like such trash in Philly and until Mahomes was treated as a good coach who would never win a Super Bowl in KC. But now he wins the big one and his career which was already a HOF career is now cemented with a championship. Seriously if you talked to Eagles fans during Andy Reid’s years you would think the Eagles were complete trash during his era there instead of one of the most successful teams in the league. 

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I said the same to my brother when it happened.  Terrible.

The league mothballing the concussion protocol for the SB (how many went in the protocol during the playoffs?) is not something that helped the 49ers.  They would have been without their QB at crunch time.  This is all about the hypocrisy of the league. 

Edited by Cripple Creek

18 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Did you notice how neither Buck nor Aikmen mentioned it? Kind of an awkward pause like "production told us not to mention concussion protocol."

8 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The league mothballing the concussion protocol for the SB (how many went in the protocol during the playoffs?) is not something that helped the 49ers.  They would have been without their QB at crunch time.  This is all about the hypocrisy of the league. 

As soon as the showed JG grab his head, I turned to my brother and asked, "why isn't he going into concussion protocol?"  And we both noticed that nothing was said.  I think you're absolutely right .. someone told them to zip it.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Super Bowl Postgame Thread: Chiefs Win! Reid gets his Ring
1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

He wasn't hurt. I just thought he was trying to sell it and draw a free 15.

Funny how he popped up and went right back to work when he realized the flag was not forthcoming.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Watkins had probably one of his best days as a pro, though it was because of Hill attracting attention.  

You  might want to rewatch the biggest play of the game, see who was actually drawing attention away from whom and reconsider whether you want to continue pushing that narrative.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

He wasn't hurt. I just thought he was trying to sell it and draw a free 15.

Funny how he popped up and went right back to work when he realized the flag was not forthcoming.

Funny how you can tell that from 1500 miles away.

Also funny how Allen ended up in the protocol after sprinting to the locker room.  

I'm not debating hurt or not. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of the league in enforcing their own rules. 

21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am really happy for Reid, he was treated like such trash in Philly and until Mahomes was treated as a good coach who would never win a Super Bowl in KC. But now he wins the big one and his career which was already a HOF career is now cemented with a championship. Seriously if you talked to Eagles fans during Andy Reid’s years you would think the Eagles were complete trash during his era there instead of one of the most successful teams in the league. 

What do you think Bills fans would be like towards their coach if the Bills are 11-5, 12-4, 13-3  5 years in a row, and in that time lose 3 conference championships and a SB?