Super Bowl Postgame Thread: Chiefs Win! Reid gets his Ring

34 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Did you notice how neither Buck nor Aikmen mentioned it? Kind of an awkward pause like "production told us not to mention concussion protocol."

I noticed this exact thing. It seemed like they were about to comment on it as the replay showed but quickly shut it down.

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

And you were standing in the huddle checking his baselines?

At the very least, even if he was faking/trying to draw a flag, had it been handled the same way it's been handled across the league all season long, he'd have gone under the blue tent for at least one series.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

At the very least, even if he was faking/trying to draw a flag, had it been handled the same way it's been handled across the league all season long, he'd have gone under the blue tent for at least one series.

I am really not in favor of stopping the game and dragging somebody into a tent every time a guy tries to draw a flag for a second.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

You  might want to rewatch the biggest play of the game, see who was actually drawing attention away from whom and reconsider whether you want to continue pushing that narrative.

Doesn't change my contention that Sammy is not a WR1.  He wouldn't have had the game he did without Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce attracting attention.  Watkins wasn't a WR1 in Buffalo or with the LAR.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

What about OUR QB?

Get with the program, @Tatonka68.  This years League MVP has "no future in the league" because Reasons.  Watson, despite his promise and teammates Hopkins, Mercilus and JJ Watt, can't win anything under Bill O'Brien because @Penfield45 can predict the future (just like the folks who said that KC would never win a championship under Reid.  Coaches can never improve, either).

Our measly inaccurate "joke of a first round pick" QB simply doesn't flicker the meter enough to enter into the conversation after he's summarily dismissed Jackson and Watson, not to mention anything the Titans, Broncos, or Steelers might do to level-up or the possibility Mayfield might develop under Stefanski.  15 years of Mahomes.  Word.

I mean, it's possible?  Could KC become the new Patriots under Mahomes?  It is possible.  But a lot of things have to roll their way.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned up thread or not, but I was struck by how much of a Josh Allen-type game that Mahomes had. Little to write home about for the first 50 minutes of the game (played like ass, actually) followed by late 4th quarter heroics to pull it out at the end. Nice. 

Reid thoroughly out-coached Shanahan, which was nice to see. Especially after Shanny called those bush league timeouts while KC was in victory formation. 

Speaking of which, I read an article about how Mahomes’s execution of the victory formation cost bettors a TON of money. Apparently, his total rushing yards over/under was the most popular prop bet made, with the over being what most people bet on. He gave up something like 15 yards on those victory formation plays and screwed those who bet the over. Read also that some houses are refunding money to bettors who took the over. Very cool.

The most Josh Allen play of the day was when Jimmy G Josh Allened that bomb to Sanders, who was wide open and set to score an easy TD.

Edited by dave mcbride

46 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The most Josh Allen play of the day was when Jimmy G Josh Allened that bomb to Sanders, who was wide open and set to score an easy TD.

Yep.  Despite all that happened in the fourth quarter, Jimmy G still had one throw to put himself in 49er lore forever......and over threw him by more than five yards.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What do you think Bills fans would be like towards their coach if the Bills are 11-5, 12-4, 13-3  5 years in a row, and in that time lose 3 conference championships and a SB?

Let's say McD had the same run Reid had in Philly (5 Conference Championship games and a Super Bowl appearance, along with 9 total playoff appearances in 14 seasons and only 3 losing seasons) here in Buffalo fans would call him arguably the greatest coach the team ever had. I don't think anyone would be doubting his ability to coach the team. 

Yes after the Bills sustain success (thus fans get used to success) and keep failing the fans expectations will be higher and things will shift to questioning if McD would be the guy to take the team over the top. But I don't think most fans would call McD a bad coach and treat the team as though they suck. It's one thing to say Reid has issues with XYZ and those might hamper him winning a Super Bowl, but Philly fans acted like Reid was a hapless idiot who wasn't a good coach. 

I think Reid got a raw deal from Eagles fans as far as his work there. Yes you could argue they should have won a Super Bowl with that talent and that Reid maybe made mistakes in his tenure there that made the difference. But that also ignores the tremendous work Reid put into getting them into contention. Reid put together a great coaching staff, by 2001 he was the defacto GM thus he put together the roster he developed a lot of players on both sides of the ball, and he developed a great offensive system that kept them high up in offense despite not having an elite receiver beside TO and then later on Maclin and D-Jax. 

The work Reid did with the Eagles was tremendous and the fans to this day act like he was a terrible coach. Fair to say he had some flaws with things like game management, but to act like he was a clueless moron and anyone else would have won is just pure idiotic Philly fan mentality.