Mel Kiper has the bills taking Shenault Jr

On 1/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, SCBills said:

I like the pick, but under certain scenarios.

My ideal one.... 

Get us a RT & EDGE in Free Agency.  Re-sign Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain & Kevin Johnson.  Cut Murphy.  Let Phillips walk.  

Draft Swiss army knife Shenault in the 1st. 

A pure WR in the 2nd. 

RB in the 3rd. 

DT in the 4th. 

We don’t have a need for all our picks so I’d expect later picks to be used as draft ammo to move around. 

I like most of this.  I would sign a free agent RB to complement Singletary and draft a CB instead.  I think upgrading CB2 along with a FA DE would make defense crazy good.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:21 AM, SCBills said:

I like the pick, but under certain scenarios.

My ideal one.... 

Get us a RT & EDGE in Free Agency.  Re-sign Shaq Lawson, Quinton Spain & Kevin Johnson.  Cut Murphy.  Let Phillips walk.  

Draft Swiss army knife Shenault in the 1st. 

A pure WR in the 2nd. 

RB in the 3rd. 

DT in the 4th. 

We don’t have a need for all our picks so I’d expect later picks to be used as draft ammo to move around. 

Not a chance in hell our draft falls that way.

I could see Shenault in the 1st and RB in the 3rd, but I guarantee we draft a defensive player in the front half of the draft given who our Head Coach is.

So many possibilities at 22.

Right now, who the frig knows what the Bills will do.

My bet is at 22 they will go with the best player on their board, regardless of position. Then they will use the rest of the draft to move around a ton And fill their heads.

It’s what they have done since McDermott has been here.

Sorry for not posting for awhile. i trust McBeane for their football acumen.I vividly remember the drafting of Allen. A lot of the Guru's on this board  berated McB for this decision. I will not noms them but you and i know who they are. Tyrod went ti two teams a was a success at backup QB.This year he drafted Singletary in the third round . I thought hey were nits but held my quarter. they weren't't nuts. 

14 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Correct. It’s also to early for any of these to be very accurate. 

Very fair point.

But if we're going to talk about it at this point, we have even less info to go on than the pundits do. Might as well listen, feeling free to disagree.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Very fair point.

But if we're going to talk about it at this point, we have even less info to go on than the pundits do. Might as well listen, feeling free to disagree.

Oh I agree with that. These mocks are great for learning about players that might be available. Heck up until a months ago I didn’t know who Shenault was. I have already started paying attention to more college players since the end of the Bills season. I have been able to focus on players with the help of mocks and Locked On pod cast. Joe does a great job on Locked On Bills of breaking down possible players. 
A couple of variables will move people around on boards. FA being a big one.

10 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

At 22... Possibly K’Lavin Chaisson LSU, some mock drafts have him going between 10-15, I personally think he goes closer to 20.

Maybe Zach Baun LB Wisconsin. Been getting good write ups from the Senior Bowl. Solid player definitely a process guy. I think Wisconsin played him all over the defense, quick, great hands had 12.5 sacks this year. 6-2 240, may be able to get to 245-250. He’s more of a late first around 30, trade down perhaps. But after the senior bowl week, plus workouts, I could see this kid easily being our pick at 22. This guys has McD and his style defense written all over him!

Julian Okwara. Definitely has the size. Almost used exactly how we use Lorax, he’s from Notre Dame. He’s a guy to keep an eye on. Pending workouts probably in April due to breaking his leg. But potential is high on this kid. Been Mocked in round 1, anywhere from 20-32.

And Bradley Anea from Utah. At the Senior Bowl this kid had enthusiasm. Great build and size. Plays with intensity. Again, later round 1 potential, early round 2, could be a trade down scenario late round 1.

Some May say Kenneth Murray from Oklahoma but I think he’s more of a true OLB vs edge/OLB.... but who knows.

Realistically at 22, I think you’re looking at Baun and Okwara.

Good stuff @CEN-CAL17.  What about this Kenny Willekes guy from Michegan State?  It's said the Bills met with him....

Willekes is a effort kid, plays hard, showed fire at Senior Bowl practices. I see him as an average DE, not really an edge/OLB type guy. He won’t be dropping into coverage. I don’t think he has the length or speed to play DE at a high level. I see him being a round 4 type talent.

As long as folks are okay with him being a gadget guy a la McKenzie for a while then this could be a viable pick.

Aside from the fact that he’s not very refined as a WR, he would also be stepping into one of the most complicated offensive schemes in the game (this is per our current WRs).

On 1/25/2020 at 7:57 AM, Billl said:

Are you talking about the same guy?  He has a very limited route tree, doesn’t run them particularly well, and he has poor technique coming off the line.  He’s a physical freak, but well rounded he ain’t.

Actually this sounds exactly like someone Beane would draft.  

He likes physical freaks that haven't necessarily gotten it together on the field.  The Process will coach them up.

I'm thinking of Josh Allen and 19 year old Tremaine Edmunds.

Edited by reddogblitz

If Ruggs is available at 22 I’d be disappointed if Bills didn’t grab him. Aside from Jeudy, Lamb and him I don’t think any other receiver is worth the risk in the first. Otherwise I’d hope one of the tackles or elite edge guys dropped to us. 

• Like (+1) 1

Shenault should be a useful player on a team with a number of skill position threats, but I’m not sure he can be what we need across from Brown on the outside. We have guys who can be assets in gadget/backup roles like McKenzie, but Allen needs another quality outside receiver.

I don’t necessarily think that we “need” a physical “prototype” in the Hopkins/Jones/Evans mold- another speed/skill/route-running threat like Brown would probably have the same impact, especially if Knox steps up and we add another quality RB who can catch. 

Shenault is a much better prospect than Zay Jones was, but I think drafting him would be a similar mistake; hindsight is 20/20, but it was obvious that the team should have taken a receiver suited for the sidelines and deep routes instead of a volume/gadget player with no elite skills. Jones (as evaluated) can be useful to a team with solid outside receivers or a quick release offense like NE’s where every eligible receiver can work under the seams and force narrower coverage. He was never going to succeed as a primary downfield target, and only Foster’s emergence made the team respect our deep ball at all Josh’s rookie year.

If teams only have to respect Brown’s downfield threat/ability to run a versatile route tree, we can’t take advantage of Josh at his best (he is most effective when receivers get open early and across the field, and is at his worst when he has to throw into tight man coverage windows and feels more comfortable resorting to a scramble (either to run or with a desperate off-balance heave downfield). He’s much more dangerous if defenses have to account for his physical ability and play contain at the expense of being able to blanket his safety nets (when he locks onto Beasley or Knox against the blitz) and have a safety deep against Brown. 

Between Foster’s potential and an early round wideout or two, I am pretty confident that the team can field a dangerous offense next year that maximizes Josh’s elite ability and allows him to throw deep with confidence.