The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve read quite a few reports that cynicism regarding vaccines runs quite high in the black community in general.  

Yep.

I know several people that have referenced the Tuskegee Airmen as reasons why they won't get it.  And good for them.  

But Trump voters!  

Absolutely ridiculous.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 716er said:

I swear two weeks ago Bill Blitz was going on and on about how this would never end and masks are FOREVER!!!!!

Glad Biden is doing what he can to move us forward despite the stupidity in this country highlighted by that dude in this thread.

Did I miss the memo mitigation (masks, 6 feet--or is it 3 now) was coming to an end and the kids will have their childhood's back?

Until then, it's indefinite.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Did I miss the memo mitigation (masks, 6 feet--or is it 3 now) was coming to an end and the kids will have their childhood's back?

No.

Lord Fauci poo-pooed that study.

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Not indefinite, just until President Biden tells you what you can and cannot do.  Sit tight until July-ish. Plus or minus.  More or less.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The ol' oxymoron from the ol' moron. 

14 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Not indefinite, just until President Biden tells you what you can and cannot do.  Sit tight until July-ish. Plus or minus.  More or less.  

The last one told us Easter.

1 minute ago, 716er said:

The ol' oxymoron from the ol' moron. 

I asked for your source I missed the memo.  

If not, stick your neck out, make a prediction.  

50 million kids....how many are you going to let become ccompletely lost or suicidal? 

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

How did you come to the conclusion that white male Rs are skeptical (I’m assuming by that we mean “won’t get it”)?  

I’ve read quite a few reports that cynicism regarding vaccines runs quite high in the black community in general. 

I shared this poll last week.

The answer Fauci gave was in response to question Chris Wallace asked citing a poll from NPR.

"Among Republican men, 49% said they did not plan to get the shot, compared with just 6% of Democratic men who said the same. Among those who said they supported President Trump in the 2020 election, 47% said they did not plan to get a coronavirus vaccine compared with just 10% of Biden supporters."

Fauci didn't go out to criticize Trump in the interview.  He answered a question.  He also gave Trump kudos for operation warp speed.

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve become highly skeptical of the information that Das Fauci shares, and know many people of various political ideology that are cautious of the vaccine due to the speed it was developed.  However, the general consensus in my admittedly small circle is that they will get vaccinated.  

I think Fauci is held to an absurd standard.  It is a novel virus.  Opinions and guidance would be based on knowledge of past respiratory diseases and change as we learn more about the virus.  As a result, guidance can and will change over time.  Nobody can reasonably pick a date on when the pandemic will end, just like nobody could possibly have predicted VE day would be on May 8 1945 or VJ day would be on August 15 1945 one year into WW II.  Big Blitz's demands and whining is just ridiculous.

As for skepticism, I get that.  Last Fall I would have said I wouldn't trust the vaccine unless Donald Trump, Mike Pence and every appointed member of the Executive Branch were vaccinated first, on TV, by doctors chosen by the MSM.  However, I work with a lot of scientists, so I listened to what doctors and scientists were saying about the vaccine and I saw them get the vaccine.  That told me they had confidence in the vaccine.

I shared last week that half my family are vaccine phobic.  They shared some videos from America's Frontline Doctors, an endless source of misinformation that a darlings to the right wing news propaganda stations.  I did some fact checking on their claims and am convinced these vaccines are extremely low risk.  In fact, I got my first shot earlier today.

Are you dumb enough to think anyone can give you and exact date?

Edited by Scraps

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

"As for skepticism, I get that.  Last Fall I would have said I wouldn't trust the vaccine unless Donald Trump, Mike Pence and every appointed member of the Executive Branch were vaccinated first, on TV, by doctors chosen by the MSM.  However, I work with a lot of scientists, so I listened to what doctors and scientists were saying about the vaccine and I saw them get the vaccine.  That told me they had confidence in the vaccine.

Oh, I see, as long as the Orange Man was President, you didn't trust the vaccine, but now that the Grey Man is President, you do. Well imagine that.  No...this isn't political. Of course it's not.  You must have talked to the same scientists that Kamala did when she swore on national TV she wouldn't get the vaccines the Trump Administration worked so hard to provide, only to see her be the first one in line to get the shot after the Grey Man took office. Follow the science....my arse.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh, I see, as long as the Orange Man was President, you didn't trust the vaccine, but now that the Grey Man is President, you do. Well imagine that.  No...this isn't political. Of course it's not.  You must have talked to the same scientists that Kamala did when she swore on national TV she wouldn't get the vaccines the Trump Administration worked so hard to provide, only to see her be the first one in line to get the shot after the Grey Man took office. Follow the science....my arse.

Not everything comes down to how somebody feels about Trump.  

I listened to what scientist and doctors said.  I saw their confidence in the vaccines, leading by getting the vaccine.  I researched.  I learned.  I changed my mind.

Edited by Scraps

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

The answer Fauci gave was in response to question Chris Wallace asked citing a poll from NPR.

"Among Republican men, 49% said they did not plan to get the shot, compared with just 6% of Democratic men who said the same. Among those who said they supported President Trump in the 2020 election, 47% said they did not plan to get a coronavirus vaccine compared with just 10% of Biden supporters."

Fauci didn't go out to criticize Trump in the interview.  He answered a question.  He also gave Trump kudos for operation warp speed.

I think Fauci is held to an absurd standard.  It is a novel virus.  Opinions and guidance would be based on knowledge of past respiratory diseases and change as we learn more about the virus.  As a result, guidance can and will change over time.  Nobody can reasonably pick a date on when the pandemic will end, just like nobody could possibly have predicted VE day would be on May 8 1945 or VJ day would be on August 15 1945 one year into WW II.  Big Blitz's demands and whining is just ridiculous.

As for skepticism, I get that.  Last Fall I would have said I wouldn't trust the vaccine unless Donald Trump, Mike Pence and every appointed member of the Executive Branch were vaccinated first, on TV, by doctors chosen by the MSM.  However, I work with a lot of scientists, so I listened to what doctors and scientists were saying about the vaccine and I saw them get the vaccine.  That told me they had confidence in the vaccine.

Interesting data, I’m not sure I buy it but I’ll consider it.  It’s possible that my point of view is skewed by things I’ve read previously and conversations I’ve had with people I know.  I also get the flu vaccine every year, and have for the last ten.  I was concerned early on as you apparently were, that this particular vaccine was rushed into production.  I plan to get it, my wife signed up as she’s slightly older than me.  My plan was simply to wait until higher risk people get vaccinated first.  

As for Fauci, everyone has an opinion.   I think he’s been weak, misleading and I don’t trust him.   He’ll be ok in spite of my feelings. 

I shared last week that half my family are vaccine phobic.  They shared some videos from America's Frontline Doctors, an endless source of misinformation that a darlings to the right wing news propaganda stations.  I did some fact checking on their claims and am convinced these vaccines are extremely low risk.  In fact, I got my first shot earlier today.

Best of luck to you.  

I’m smart enough to know that when someone inserts themself into a conversation, and loads up with a statement designed to be confrontational and insulting, it typically means that individual is dealing with some internal/external conflict secondary to the interaction.   It could be the offending individual fashions himself a crusader of sorts, could be he’s having trouble at work or home, could be he strained his neck reading online polls, could be he’s tired of being cooped up during the time of COVID.  Heck, it could be—and I’m just flipping biscuits here—could be that gosh darn Daylight Savings Time has him all turned about and grumpy as heck.  They say that’s a thing.   Hard to say, but in the end it’s irrelevant to me.  

On the subject referenced, I think the economy is opening regardless of what Biden says when he can string the words together to make sense.  I think I complied with governmental mandates and suggestions and as time progressed, have seen enough hypocrisy and stupidity to last a decade or more, so I’ll weigh it out and strike a course that makes sense for me.   If hiding in the basement with the lights off until a mid-September presidential update works for others, I can respect that.  

6 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m smart enough to know that when someone inserts themself into a conversation, and loads up with a statement designed to be confrontational and insulting, it typically means that individual is dealing with some internal/external conflict secondary to the interaction.  

vs

If hiding in the basement with the lights off until a mid-September presidential update works for others, I can respect that.  

Hmm. 

On the subject referenced, I think the economy is opening regardless of what Biden says when he can string the words together to make sense.  I think I complied with governmental mandates and suggestions and as time progressed, have seen enough hypocrisy and stupidity to last a decade or more, so I’ll weigh it out and strike a course that makes sense for me.   If hiding in the basement with the lights off until a mid-September presidential update works for others, I can respect that.  

You dodged the question.  Do you think anyone can give you an exact date on when this would end and we would return to normal?

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

You dodged the question.  Do you think anyone can give you an exact date on when this would end and we would return to normal?

First, It’s not up to the President to tell me when I can return to ‘normal’. My rights don’t come from the President, they were endowed by my Creator.

Second, yes the President should give Americans some idea of when they believe the recommendations they’ve been giving to a free people will be eased and then eliminated. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

I addressed the question you posed previously,  and am comfortable with my response. 

The question you posed here is different.  Why is that?  

Lol remember that scene in one of the episodes from "You're Being Played" where the teachers said they wouldn't go back into classrooms until there were zero cases for 14 days in the community?

That's an all time classic moment.

And of course:

So was that B.S. about flattening curves.  

Edited by Big Blitz

48 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I addressed the question you posed previously,  and am comfortable with my response. 

The question you posed here is different.  Why is that?  

I think the question is pretty much the same.  Seems like you won't answer, but are comfortable.

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I think the question is pretty much the same.  Seems like you won't answer, but are comfortable.

Your first question was aggressive and condescending, and asked me a closed ended question about my intellect.  I addressed that as I saw fit, and that you perceived it as a dodge reveals you might not understand what a dodge actually entails. 

Your second attempt  was a closed ended question about the timing of presidential proclamations of a return to normalcy.  

So, while some of the words are similar, the questions are different.  

I simply wondered why the question changed.  

26 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Helluva lot better than this response

giphy.gif

You mean the guy's response that was this......

AP21018687146973-1.jpg?w=2560&h=1440&cro

.....and he could have actually saved 10s of thousands if the leftist idiots that play the "The Media" in our never ending sitcom "You've Been Played" (that dude that plays "Brian Stetler" is a trip) wasn't going to call it an election/October surprise.....Hollywood endings are so predictable. 

They should have added an unexpected twist where they rejoice at the earliest release of the vaccine and hail Trump a hero.  

21 hours ago, B-Man said:

They are safe. No one turned into that ***** show to see that they weren’t wearing masks…

18 hours ago, Scraps said:

Funny. You and your ilk blame Trump for the deaths. He was only going off of what Fauci told him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Funny. You and your ilk blame Trump for the deaths. He was only going off of what Fauci told him.

No, Trump controlled Fauci and his messaging - get it right.  And now Fauci is a convenient scapegoat.

We know how the GQP works - it's always someone else's fault.

image.thumb.jpeg.7322f0510f96c6d95f943153044ef675.jpeg

• Eyeroll 1

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/02/bidens-misleading-vaccine-boasts/

Biden’s Misleading Vaccine Boasts

By Lori Robertson, Eugene Kiely and D'Angelo Gore

In remarks at a Pfizer manufacturing site, President Joe Biden made misleading claims while boasting about his administration’s progress in getting Americans vaccinated against COVID-19.

Biden claimed that the Trump administration had “failed to order enough vaccines.” It had contracts in place for plenty of vaccines for all Americans, provided other vaccines gained authorization; Biden increased the orders from the two companies with authorized vaccines.

The president claimed there was “no real plan to vaccinate most of the country” when he took office. There was indeed a plan to acquire and distribute vaccines. The Biden administration has done more on increasing vaccination sites and vaccinators.

Biden exaggerated when he claimed that vaccinations have “nearly doubled” on his watch. Even measured at its peak, the seven-day rolling average has gone up 67%.

He said Moody’s Analytics estimated that if his full COVID-19 relief plan becomes law, “the economy will create 7 million jobs this year.” But the financial services firm said 3.5 million of those jobs would be created regardless.

Biden said without his COVID-19 relief plan, 40 million Americans would lose their benefits under the federal nutrition program. To add context, Biden’s plan would extend a 15% benefit increase enacted in December for an additional three months.

Your first question was aggressive and condescending, and asked me a closed ended question about my intellect.  I addressed that as I saw fit, and that you perceived it as a dodge reveals you might not understand what a dodge actually entails. 

Your second attempt  was a closed ended question about the timing of presidential proclamations of a return to normalcy.  

So, while some of the words are similar, the questions are different.  

I simply wondered why the question changed.  

The questions are the same, at least that was the intent.  It was a yes or no answer. Your intellect would only be in question if you answered one way.

You have continued to dodge.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Okay Pinocchio.  Something tells me that Fauci never gave advice to hold maskless rally's or super spreader events at the White House.  That's probably a big reason why Trump got Covid.  Something tells me that Fauci never suggested HCQ as a cure.  Something tells me Fauci never suggested injecting disinfectant.

41 minutes ago, B-Man said:

In remarks at a Pfizer manufacturing site, President Joe Biden made misleading claims while boasting about his administration’s progress in getting Americans vaccinated against COVID-19.

Biden claimed that the Trump administration had “failed to order enough vaccines.” It had contracts in place for plenty of vaccines for all Americans, provided other vaccines gained authorization; Biden increased the orders from the two companies with authorized vaccines.

The president claimed there was “no real plan to vaccinate most of the country” when he took office. There was indeed a plan to acquire and distribute vaccines. The Biden administration has done more on increasing vaccination sites and vaccinators.

Biden exaggerated when he claimed that vaccinations have “nearly doubled” on his watch. Even measured at its peak, the seven-day rolling average has gone up 67%.

He said Moody’s Analytics estimated that if his full COVID-19 relief plan becomes law, “the economy will create 7 million jobs this year.” But the financial services firm said 3.5 million of those jobs would be created regardless.

Biden said without his COVID-19 relief plan, 40 million Americans would lose their benefits under the federal nutrition program. To add context, Biden’s plan would extend a 15% benefit increase enacted in December for an additional three months.

Can't be.  These fact check organizations only went after Republicans is what I've been lead to believe.

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Okay Pinocchio.  Something tells me that Fauci never gave advice to hold maskless rally's or super spreader events at the White House.  That's probably a big reason why Trump got Covid.  Something tells me that Fauci never suggested HCQ as a cure.  Something tells me Fauci never suggested injecting disinfectant.

Did he tell Cuomo to put sick patients back in nursing homes and not to shut down New York city for a few weeks and allow it to seed the rest of the country? To allow riots to occur and become super spreader events themselves?  Do you think Trump muzzled him there?

If you’re going to use the argument that Fauci was dealing with a novel virus and couldn’t have known everything, you have to extend the same thing to Trump. Sorry. 

17 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The questions are the same, at least that was the intent.  It was a yes or no answer. Your intellect would only be in question if you answered one way.

You have continued to dodge.

It’s difficult for me to determine intent as I am not you.  Here I thought you were intending to be prickish for no reason after being civil previously.  

So, your question is “Do you think anyone can give you an exact date on when this can end and we would return to normal?”?  

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did he tell Cuomo to put sick patients back in nursing homes and not to shut down New York city for a few weeks and allow it to seed the rest of the country? To allow riots to occur and become super spreader events themselves?  Do you think Trump muzzled him there?

If you’re going to use the argument that Fauci was dealing with a novel virus and couldn’t have known everything, you have to extend the same thing to Trump. Sorry. 

Are you familiar with Harry Truman and the famous sign on his desk?

• Eyeroll 1

59 minutes ago, Doc said:

To remind you of Harry Truman’s famous sign:  The Buck Stops Here.

Trump:  I don’t take any responsibility.

Sorry, that doesn’t cut it.

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Tax cuts pay for themselves and the virus will disappear by Easter!

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

To remind you of Harry Truman’s famous sign:  The Buck Stops Here.

Trump:  I don’t take any responsibility.

Sorry, that doesn’t cut it.

And now you’re satisfied because Joe mandated masks in your local post office? That’s it? We changed the President for that? That’s all Joe’s got? 

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And now you’re satisfied because Joe mandated masks in your local post office? That’s it? We changed the President for that? That’s all Joe’s got? 

You are trying to deflect.  Trump is responsible for his own actions or inactions.   Including lying to the American public as shown by the Woodward interview.  Including saying he takes no responsibility which, for the leader of the country, is inexcusable.

I will judge Biden on his actions.  Will all the vaccines get done when he says, will schools be fully open thus coming fall?  And so on.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

You are trying to deflect.  Trump is responsible for his own actions or inactions.   Including lying to the American public as shown by the Woodward interview.  Including saying he takes no responsibility which, for the leader of the country, is inexcusable.

I will judge Biden on his actions.  Will all the vaccines get done when he says, will schools be fully open thus coming fall?  And so on.

Sorry sir...you don't actually want to judge these people on their actions.  It's really just the opposite.  You want to judge them on their statements.  Biden makes a statement that he's going to handle Covid differently but all he proposes in actual actions is masks in the Post Office.   Whereas, you're 'knickers are in a twist' over a quasi-private statement that Trump made to Woodward, while all the while Trump's actions got the PPE restocked, ventilators supplied and three working vaccines in wide circulation. 

Think about it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Sorry sir...you don't actually want to judge these people on their actions.  It's really just the opposite.  You want to judge them on their statements.  Biden makes a statement that he's going to handle Covid differently but all he proposes in actual actions is masks in the Post Office.   Whereas, you're 'knickers are in a twist' over a quasi-private statement that Trump made to Woodward, while all the while Trump's actions got the PPE restocked, ventilators supplied and three working vaccines in wide circulation. 

Think about it.

His ‘actions’ were to lie to the American public, to make wearing of masks a political farce instead of following science, and actively argue against the advice of professionals in epidemiology and infectious diseases.  I have acknowledged previously I give credit about Operation Warp Speed although Pfizer as I understand it did not use government funding.  While availability of PPE eventually came about it could have been done much more rapidly if the DPA had been initiated earlier.  And instead of using the power of his office to rally and unite the country against the pandemic he used it to divide as a political ploy.  And it cost him re-election.

Biden has been in office less than 2 months.  Do you think it is a fair comparison to judge his action in less than 2 months vs an entire term of his predecessor?  He got his rescue plan passed; I agree with some parts and not others. He has set an example to wear masks; some refuse to do so again because of politics and not science. He has made bold claims about vaccine availability and numbers to be given by May 1.  He’ll be judged on that.  He’ll do other things the next 4 years that he’ll be judged on.  I’ll judge him as he does things, and not presuppose what he’ll do which appears to be what you are doing.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

His ‘actions’ were to lie to the American public, to make wearing of masks a political farce instead of following science, and actively argue against the advice of professionals in epidemiology and infectious diseases.  I have acknowledged previously I give credit about Operation Warp Speed although Pfizer as I understand it did not use government funding.  While availability of PPE eventually came about it could have been done much more rapidly if the DPA had been initiated earlier.  And instead of using the power of his office to rally and unite the country against the pandemic he used it to divide as a political ploy.  And it cost him re-election.

Biden has been in office less than 2 months.  Do you think it is a fair comparison to judge his action in less than 2 months vs an entire term of his predecessor?  He got his rescue plan passed; I agree with some parts and not others. He has set an example to wear masks; some refuse to do so again because of politics and not science. He has made bold claims about vaccine availability and numbers to be given by May 1.  He’ll be judged on that.  He’ll do other things the next 4 years that he’ll be judged on.  I’ll judge him as he does things, and not presuppose what he’ll do which appears to be what you are doing.

We are going to make an excellent pair once our Administration takes over. 

May I suggest to you that your commentary is really slanted on this topic.  You may not even realize how much. You criticize President Trump for virtually everything but give President Biden a pass....or at least a 'wait and see'.  I'll put it to you again here that Biden has done virtually nothing differently when it comes to Covid, with the exception that he does indeed emphasize mask wearing, while all while knowing that he has no real authority over it. On the other hand Trump put the local control in the hands of the local elected officials, which in many cases meant putting control in his political enemies hands. He was very naïve there. He thought people would pull together. They didn't and it cost him the election. I happen to think it took a bigger man to recommend the local approach that then what I've seen out of Joe in the first two months.  But, we can always disagree! 

Edited by SoCal Deek