The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

30 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Wondering if this line of thinking could apply to not wearing a seat belt.

Hey Kemp-

Responded  to some questions you posted yesterday, wondering if you might have a chance to reply at some point?  Let’s try and find common ground:

1.  I think your President Trump did not want an English language translator in the room. 

Follow up question #1:  Has every president that ever met with a foreign leader had an English language translator in the room?  

Follow up question #2:  Was a law broken when the President chose not to have a translator present, and if so, when can we expect Impeachment proceedings to begin?

2. I think your President is and was exceptionally concerned about the incalculable damage done to his reputation and administration perpetrated by the democrat leadership and uninformed liberal voters who alleged he was guilty of treason.   I think the democrat leadership and uninformed liberal voters created a situation that was very dangerous to the president personally, and to his family as well.  

Follow up question #3:  How did the dem leadership and the mainstream media so badly misread the Russian collusion issue that after an exhaustive investigations  by partisan political prosecutors, with an unlimited budget and unrestricted powers that they were unable to provide any usable information re: Trump and Russia collusion?

Follow up question #4:  Your President Trump told you early, and often that the narrative that he was a traitor to his country and that he colluded with Russia to impact the outcome of the election was a hoax, that the Steele dossier was rubbish, and that actors in the Obama admin and dem leadership lied, cheated and surveilled members of his campaign.  Since then, all of that has come to pass.  How does that make you feel? 

3.  I believe virtually all establishment politicians and Washington agencies were in the bag for Hillary Clinton, including DOJ, FBI, most career government lifers, and GOP polis, including Lindsay Graham.  That changed as he gained critical mass in the race to the White House, but seems to be a matter of public record.  

4.  I think your President Trump understands his rights as an American citizen, knew the collusion narrative really only appealed to dimwits and simpletons, and that the FBI often focuses on process crimes and strong-arming to accomplish it's stated goal.

Follow up question #4:  Why would an innocent man answer a series of questions on something that never happened, written by political adversaries with unlimited investigatory powers and a history of strong-arming witnesses?  

5.  Improper format, question is ambiguous. 

Follow up question # 5:  Are you suggesting your President acted illegally in this regard?  If so, when can we expect impeachment hearing to begin?

Warmly,

LS

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Hey Kemp-

Responded  to some questions you posted yesterday, wondering if you might have a chance to reply at some point?  Let’s try and find common ground:

Warmly,

LS

I have a feeling this might be a long wait....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

To Whom It May Concern,

NOTICE: I am hereby notifying you that I am exempt from any ordinances requiring face mask usage in public. Wearing
a face mask poses a mental and/or physical health risk to me. Denying me my rights under the Americans with
Disabilities Act places you in direct violation of the law and will result in legal action.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), I am not legally required to disclose any of my personal
medical conditions to you. (www.justice.gov). It is also a HIPAA violation to require me to disclose my personal
health information to you.

Department of Justice ADA violation reporting number: (855) 514-0301
If found in violation of the ADA, you and your business could face steep penalties. Organizations and businesses
can be fined up to $75,000 for your first ADA violation and $150,000 for each subsequent violation.

For more information: www.ada.gov
US Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section
Washington, D.C. 20530

Bully for you. The rest of us will take the small step of wearing a mask to try to keep everyone safe.  

25 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Hey Kemp-

Warmly,

LS

Another thread perhaps?

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Wondering if this line of thinking could apply to not wearing a seat belt.

No, because when you don't wear a seatbelt, you don't harm other people particularly. 

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

It will be interesting to see the full statistics on total deaths attributed to ALL causes of deaths and their historical relationships when the dust settles. A complete statistical model will reveal much.

I’ve posted the actual FACTS before but I’ll remind everyone again:

650,000 all US deaths since mid January 

55,000 all Covid deaths since mid January 

100,000 pneumonia deaths since mid January 

50,000,000 US population is over 65

90% of all US deaths are people over 65

90% of all Covid deaths are people over 65

1/1000 of the deaths of people over 65 is due to Covid 

15 deaths of anyone under 20

With these FACTS, pretend you’re in charge. You can now draw your own conclusions and recommend a plan of action.

Some good graphs here to show what states are meeting the Trump guidelines and really should be reopening. 

Not as many states trending down over 14 days as I suspected. Many like PA and TX  trending level to only slightly down in recent days and others (MA, NC, and MD) with clear upwards trends. Based on those, the Trump guidelines would say they are not ready to start Phase 1. 

image.thumb.png.ff2b3e390099481b499a1644c20bac10.png

Edited by shoshin

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Some good graphs here to show what states are meeting the Trump guidelines and really should be reopening. 

Not as many states trending down over 14 days as I suspected. Many like PA and TX  trending level to only slightly down and others (MA, NC, and MD) with clear upwards trends. Based on those, the Trump guidelines would say they are not ready to start Phase 1. 

These graphs are great but they don’t tell the whole story. Out of 50 states that are only 15 that have a TOTAL of more than 100 deaths per million residents over almost FOUR months. The math is simple. That works out to ONE death per day per State (of which 90% are over 65 years old) in 75% of the country.  So yes, the graph/curve may be flattening or not but the majority of the country is not in dire danger of either contracting or dying from Covid 19. They just aren’t! 

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Bully for you. The rest of us will take the small step of wearing a mask to try to keep everyone safe.  

Another thread perhaps?

No, because when you don't wear a seatbelt, you don't harm other people particularly. 

That sounds complicated, moving posts around like we're animals foraging for food in some post-apocalyptic world.  

Kemp inquired, I replied, and that's that.  It makes me feel alive to flout the rules!

As for seat belts, interesting point.  I started wearing mine religiously in the mid-80s.  I was spending a lot of time on some very busy roads and kept thinking about going through the windshield.  I've never understood people not wearing them, and often think about the unfortunate first responder on the scene dealing with some pretty graphic stuff after the accident occurs.  I'm not militant about it, I just sort of shrug and think "what's the big deal with buckling a seat belt?". 

That said...the potential impact to those in/around you when you don't wear a belt can be catastrophic.  I used to tell my children that when sitting in a car with no seat belt, you're less a person than a potential projectile.  Part 2 of that as they got older was "when you and your friends pile into a car and there are not enough seats, don't pile into the car. If you do, make sure you get one of the seat belts.".

Oddly, I'm not there with face masks. I wear one out and about, will certainly continue to do so as long as it makes sense, but as I see some folks walking around with what appear to be very ineffective masks (to my admittedly non-medically-trained mind), I feel a bit like when they used to tell us to hide under our desks in elementary school. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Bully for you. The rest of us will take the small step of wearing a mask to try to keep everyone safe.  ...

i'm going to go ahead and guess that with this response, the irony contained within that post was completely lost upon you.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Oddly, I'm not there with face masks. I wear one out and about, will certainly continue to do so as long as it makes sense, but as I see some folks walking around with what appear to be very ineffective masks (to my admittedly non-medically-trained mind), I feel a bit like when they used to tell us to hide under our desks in elementary school. 

Let me simplify this, again. We now KNOW for a fact that Covid 19 is a virus that impacts OLD people (65 and over) and even then it generally only impacts old people with an already compromised immune system or previous health condition. Period. You can judge for yourself if you’re in one of those categories or will interact regularly with someone who is. If so, be careful and considerate of them. If not, go about your life and forget about all of this outward social mask shaming.

35 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With these FACTS, pretend you’re in charge. You can now draw your own conclusions and recommend a plan of action.

Thats very nice, but it is also a million miles from a complete statistical model of which I was referencing. I don't have to pretend I am in charge as I am in charge of my self. My life hasn't changed at all, nor have I walked around with these silly germ collecting face masks. I was sick in early December and had all these crazy symptoms for a few weeks, especially the bizarre spike in blood pressure and numbness in my limbs. In my profession, I meet various foreign nationals and there are risks. It is what it is. We will all die of something, and the last thing I will surrender to is fear. Especially carefully crafted fear perpetuated by the global propaganda machine to create mass starvation. Most people are trapped in short term reactionary thinking. What is happening currently to the viability of the global food supply in the long term is going over everyone's heads. By the time people realize the implications, we will be in the middle of the true disaster, which is the goal of the exercise.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me simplify this, again. We now KNOW for a fact that Covid 19 is a virus that impacts OLD people (65 and over) and even then it generally only impacts old people with an already compromised immune system or previous health condition. Period. You can judge for yourself if you’re in one of those categories or will interact regularly with someone who is. If so, be careful and considerate of them. If not, go about your life and forget about all of this outward social mask shaming.

The other piece, and this is the one that concerns me about colleges this fall, is infecting the person who takes care of the at risk person. The masks slow transmission from everyone, which is why they make sense until the case counts are way down. And they make the most sense right now as we emerge from our caves. 

Case counts are not going to go down as we start interacting again, though weather may help. They will go up. So let’s keep things in check as best we can. With masks. 

They are itchy. The government doesn’t have the right to tell us what to do. Ok get all that out of our systems. Then let’s put the masks on!

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I don’t have that update yet. Hopefully it installs soon. I’ll try to get it now. It is an important install. 

56 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Your statistics by age don’t line up with the world or CDC stats. About 27% of all Covid deaths are people under 65. 

10 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Thats very nice, but it is also a million miles from a complete statistical model of which I was referencing. I don't have to pretend I am in charge as I am in charge of my self. 

Close, but I think you missed my point. Given the facts, if you were the President, or a Governor, what would you direct society to do? (Yes, we’re all in charge of ourselves.) To me, there’s way more than enough data now to know that EVERYONE doesn’t need to stay in their homes or socially distant. Older people with health issues, on the other hand need to exercise caution. That’s it.

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Your statistics by age don’t line up with the world or CDC stats. About 27% of all Covid deaths are people under 65. 

The CDC site that I cite uses decades for groups so it takes a bit of rounding. But the point is still true. This disease is most deadly in old people who have health issues. Very few healthy middle aged or younger people are at risk of dying from Covid 19. Very few!

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Link?

You might find this to be an interesting read:

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

Edited by billsfan1959

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Not as many states trending down over 14 days as I suspected. Many like PA and TX  trending level to only slightly down in recent days and others (MA, NC, and MD) with clear upwards trends. Based on those, the Trump guidelines would say they are not ready to start Phase 1. 

these are cases no? Or am i reading the charts wrong? 

If it is cases, i would think as testing becomes more available and quicker, easy to obtain, and more prevalent , cases will grow as fast as the testing grows.Am i wrong there?

I believe the more relavnt stat is hospitalizations and morbidity numbers per capita. Again, I may be wrong and welcome thoughts the other way.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

If it is cases, i would think as testing becomes more available and quicker, easy to obtain, and more prevalent , cases will grow as fast as the testing grows.Am i wrong there?

I believe the more relavnt stat is hospitalizations and morbidity numbers per capita. Again, I may be wrong and welcome thoughts the other way.

Right, as we continue to test, the number of cases are going to rise. Hospitalizations and, primarily, deaths are more relevant numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Your instincts are spot on in my book. I am confident that if every US citizen was tested we would find that 10s of millions of people at least would test positive. Just my opinion of course.

• Like (+1) 2