The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Trump is beating on the VA Governor and Democrats trying to take away second amendment rights. 

Mentioning Obama for lack of ammunition in the stockpile.
All of this is in conjunction with chatting about North Korea.
"The stupid people" or haters ... lol he is talking about people saying the US gave up too much to NK or China.

Whoooweee John Kerry violated the Logan Act.
If Sleepy Joe Biden wins the election, China will own the United States.

For anyone wondering if Trump will mention Biden/China during the campaign? This puts paid to that.  He's gonna beat Joe like a drum.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Really? How much did you know about China/Joe Biden/Iran/John Kerry before today? If nothing, does it make you want to go research it?

Yeah, I thought it was bad.

People on the left will always hate him, people on the right will always love it.  People kind of in the middle can go either way.  Today wasn't a good day.   

I'm thinking the call from the Democrats yesterday on the conference call with Pence and the other criticism along with that Haberman article got him pretty pissed off.

It's not a game changer or anything like that, just not a good look.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yeah, I thought it was bad.

People on the left will always hate him, people on the right will always love it.  People kind of in the middle can go either way.  Today wasn't a good day.   

I'm thinking the call from the Democrats yesterday on the conference call with Pence and the other criticism along with that Haberman article got him pretty pissed off.

It's not a game changer or anything like that, just not a good look.

I thought he was pissed on Pence's behalf, too. I prefer him feisty. If people are being ridiculous, they need to be called on it. He called a lot of people out while trying to walk a line for negotiations at the same time.

I will agree to disagree with you. ?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Magox said:

Clearly Trump woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  Wasn't a good look the first 20 minutes.  The point with Dr. Birx was telling, many of us here already knew it but it is important for the public to see it in a chart.

On a side note, there was a small random sampling of an antibody test in Massachusetts that showed close to 1/3 of the people who had contracted the Virus.

That Boston study was cited upstream. I want that, the Santa Clara study, and the Iceland one to be true. But it wouldn’t explain the massive case spike (half the deaths and half the cases) only in NYC. Same for Lombardy and other areas that got bombed while others didn’t. So something about extrapolating those studies doesn’t add up. 

Watching delayed. He had some good conferences this week but he was back to chief narcissist and not commander in chief of the UNITED States today. Just the usual though. No decisions made. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Trump up

He's taking the #fakenews to task about how they are reporting the US has more deaths (he is explaining per capita to them). He's also going on with China has the more deaths, "you know it, I know, but you are not reporting it... why is that?"

Texas and Vermont is phase 1 opening on Monday.
Montana Friday
May 1st for a buncha other states.

Question: Shouldn't Trump also then be apologizing for his mischaracterization about testing? We're doing very poorly in terms of testing our population per capita, yet he's constantly puffing his chest out about how many people we've tested in terms of sheer numbers.

Even per capita the US is top 10 in the world in deaths as far as countries with meaningful populations go.

And that's just deaths that the Federal Government is tracking. 

Unless something changed in the last day or 2, our total deaths don't even include Nursing Home deaths, sadly. Those are obviously in the thousands. 

Trump needs to stop wasting time being at these daily briefings. He needs to just let the experts stand up there and talk.

He's doing himself no favors with anyone other than his base.

41 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Unless something changed in the last day or 2, our total deaths don't even include Nursing Home deaths, sadly. Those are obviously in the thousands. 

Total deaths include nursing home deaths. 

Some deaths are undercounted. Some overcounted. Political spectrum determines which side of that you will fall. I don’t know which one is right and both sides make compelling arguments and have compelling data and policy decisions to support their position. Either way, the current number is definitely in the ballpark. 

45 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Question: Shouldn't Trump also then be apologizing for his mischaracterization about testing? We're doing very poorly in terms of testing our population per capita, yet he's constantly puffing his chest out about how many people we've tested in terms of sheer numbers.

Even per capita the US is top 10 in the world in deaths as far as countries with meaningful populations go.

And that's just deaths that the Federal Government is tracking. 

Trump needs to stop wasting time being at these daily briefings. He needs to just let the experts stand up there and talk.

He's doing himself no favors with anyone other than his base.

He can't do stadium rallies so he's using the daily press conferences instead to feed his base red meat. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, LeviF91 said:

It's important to understand that mis/disinfo doesn't just come from the Chinese government.  I'm willing to bet that most of the pictures we are seeing of sick/dead people in China are not from this outbreak.

There's a lot of uncertainty thanks to the Chinese constantly lying, but public health interventions most certainly make infection reproduction numbers go down - even in 3rd world conditions.  I've seen R numbers for this virus anywhere from 2.5 to 3.8.  By comparison, measles is anywhere from 12 to 18.

Is it bad?  Yeah - but it's mostly bad because the Chinese were more concerned about saving face than they were saving lives.  Luckily we don't have the same kinds of issues with our government that the Chinese have.

Prescient 

1 hour ago, Magox said:

On a side note, there was a small random sampling of an antibody test in Massachusetts that showed close to 1/3 of the people who had contracted the Virus.

This is becoming more apparent.  With the nasty flu this season, and the little mentioned stomach bug that many people in the Northeast have been fighting in the last month, it won't surprise me that this thing has cycled through a good portion of the population already.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GG said:

This is becoming more apparent.  With the nasty flu this season, and the little mentioned stomach bug that many people in the Northeast have been fighting in the last month, it won't surprise me that this thing has cycled through a good portion of the population already.  

I’m here and have been saying this, I don’t think it’s great nor do I ignore this thing but once corporations  and citizens have immunity tests things will open up. 

Thats the missing piece of the equation. I think the overall number of folks who have had it is much higher than the early guesses. 

Edited by CommonCents

16 minutes ago, GG said:

Probably. I’d love to know if I was exposed to it.

4 hours ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

hospitalizations don't tell the entire tale though.   Cuomo then his wife, George Stephanopulous after his wife, both partners became covid-19 positive both one after the other.  To me it speaks to the insidious nature of how contagious and easily spread it is. Wouldn't it be logical that they would have tried to separate and Not infect their spouse? Of course. Their (likely) efforts were ultimately futile. How long it hibernates within any given person before becoming contagious is also something I don't think anyone knows yet.

Like the flu.

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The silver lining here is, if 30% have had at, they are in the clear for at least a while 

https://www.foxnews.com/science/third-blood-samples-massachusetts-study-coronavirus

I read this earlier today. Is this a "they got it" or "They had it" test?

Edited by fansince88
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Foxx said:

being they were testing for antibodies, i'm gonna say, "They had it".

Would have loved to see haw many of them knew they did. I gotta get the blood test and see if the two times I was sick with all the known symptoms if it was this. First week of February and fist week in March. March started with a sore throat followed by a low fever and chest congestion. Few days later the bride got the same sore throat and coughing up phlegm with no fever. Then older son got the same symptoms and it stuck with him for a week. All of us have been hitting the Vit B all winter

• Like (+1) 1

Why Democrats hate Republicans . . . 

Of the $170B giveaway to real estate developers in the coronavirus stimulus package (which is larger than the $100B earmarked for hospitals or the $150B set aside for states fighting coronavirus):

a)  "...the Joint Committee on Taxation found that 82 percent of the benefit of this and another tax giveaway in the coronavirus relief bill will go to the 43,000 taxpayers who earn more than $1 million — and just 3 percent to those who earn less than $100,000", and

b)  "...Worse, the bonanza for these millionaires and billionaires has little to do with the coronavirus: It lets them offset losses not just from 2020 but from 2018 and 2019, before the pandemic."

Trump and Kushner could reap a pandemic windfall